New nail turned blue after seasoning it

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by FreezingMoon, Nov 24, 2012.

1. #1 FreezingMoon, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
    I just got a new nail, and after I was done seasoning it the nail head turned blue. Is this normal and is it safe to use? or should I get a new one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I'm guessing titanium.. what brand and how much did you pay? Are you using butane or propane?

3. Its titanium and its by highly educated I paid about 70. Im using butane.

4. I think your good. Maybe wait for someone else's 2 cents but I think titanium just does that. Maybe try not heating it so hot I dunno. Sorry I can't be much help I've hit discolored titanium but it usually took time for it to turn that way not just seasoning

5. Thanks for trying . Im going to try to upload some pictures in a few.

6. This is normal after heating

7. Your titanium will go through a range of color changes before settling.

8. Yes, as others have said its no cause for concern at all. Titanium will change colors in the process of oxidizing, its only natural!

9. Highly Educated prides themselves in quality. I believe their goal is to be the best quality Ti Nails on the market. My HE nail did the same thing when I seasoned it. Season it some more and the blue will fade. It is fine.

10. Thanks for the help everyone. :)

11. Are you getting it excessively hot by any chance, like white-hot? I try not to do that as I've heard it oxidizes much more quickly and extremely at high temperatures.

The last thing I want to be inhaling is more titanium dioxide fumes if I don't have to. I hope all you blades remember to heat that Ti near a window and don't hover over it while heating.

Seriously, that looks a little too blue to me. I thought Higher Education used Titanium grade 1, but I've also heard that changing colors on Ti excessively is no good. Otoh, Johnny Carter is a seriously legit oilhead, so Imma trust his knowhow for now... ;)

12. #12 AfganiKush, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012

I think you are a little confused on Ti oxide. Why do you say to heat Ti near a window and not hover over it? Unless you're using propane..? Ti oxide shouldnt be floating around or coming off during heating. Also all titanium for nails/skillets should be grade 2. I believe grade refers to maleability and/or something along those lines. Not necessarily the quality or purity of the titanium itself. Im not sure though. :eek: Although there is definitely better & worse quality grade 2 titanium out there(its all the same metal obviously, but lower grade Ti will have more impurities)
    As others have said changing of color is completely normal, and HE prides themselves as being one of the highest grade nails out there, if not the best.

13. completely fine, i have 3 HE Ti nails and all go through this process over time