Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana For Depression And Anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Kush Zombie MEX, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Hey everyone! How y'all doing tonight? I would like to know if anyone here in GC hasuse marijuana to treat depression and anxiety. I understand this is not a “heyDoc, what the hell is wrong with me” type of forum but I would like to know theexperiences from some of the members if they are or have been in my situation. It'sbeen over a year since I started treatment with Prozac and Clonazepam, but Ireally hate the damn pills. I started smoking weed a couple of months ago andwould really like to know you guy's experiences.

Thanks ;)

2. I use for depression, physical impairments, and I tend to consume quite often for recreation.

I wouldn't ever trust pills.(Especially for depression) Haven't tried them, nor will I start. If something gives you more side effects than what it's "curing" then fuck no

3. Thank you panda for your comment... I really hate feeling like shit if I don´t take or simply forget to the take the damn pills..

4. Yep, I use marijuana for depression and anxiety. I've been through 4 anti-depressants, Prozac, Effexor (FUN withdrawal symptoms including brain zaps, brain shivers and random dizziness STILL 3 1/2 years later), Wellbutrin and Cymbalta. I also have clonazepam for anxiety.

I prefer mj all the way. Those pills really fucked me up. I do get brain fog on mj but I also got it on clonazepam, and it was way worse imo.
    You have to do what's right for you and your body.

5. I have had xanax but rarely since i always go into horrible life is worthless moods after a few days of it. I have had depression for easily 4-5 years though i consider it a spectrum not a diagnosis. MJ helps me tons with sleep, which i never got until i trid smoking and fell in love. I take a bar if im really anxious and if i have which i rarely do now since i dont use them. MJ is good, just try to keep it to only when you need it, or else it could cause greater anxiety when you go without it. If you have any questions feel free to message me. Ive been dealing, and slowly improving, with depressions for a while. Im at my best yet. Also ive been taking przac for over a year now and just recently lowered my dose, still doing good, so hopefully ill be off of it soon. I hate pills and naver take the sleeping pills im prescribed.

6. My mother was bipolar. I am a tad moody at times and find cannabis mellows out both my highs and lows! Cannabis makes my whole life a lot simpler! :smoking:

And if you would care to read a few actual medical studies about the effects of cannabis on depression and/or anxiety, just click that first link in my sig! :D

If you find my little collection "interesting", check out the bottom of my sig and send me an email!

And a bit of advice- start taking Omega 3!

Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors (news - 2011) Deficiency of Dietary Omega-3 May Explain Depressive Behaviors. - Free Online Library

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?

The same little CB1 receptors that work to keep you feeling "undepressed", are the same ones that get you high! :smoking: The highs from smoking should improve in roughly the same sort of time-frame as depression being lifted, since they are controlled by the same part of the brain.

Granny :wave:

7. Thank you very much for your commentsPurpleMushie, this is the type of information I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

8. Thanks BudMunkey, Its good to know there ispeople like me in the forum dealing with the same shit (not that I want youguys having depression or anxiety LOL BTW) but that way we can help out each other with our own experiences.

9. Heeyy Storm Crow, thank you very much.. Hey I'mreally interested in Reading those medical studies… I was looking for the linkbut I guess I'm still a bit lost here in the forum and was not able to find it L

I will definitely look into taking Omega 3, Iwanna try all I can to stop feeling like shit every morning and of course tryto make it the best way possible without fucken pills.

10. Look at my sig, hon! I got Grandpa's quote, and right below it is "GC's 420 pages of MMJ links!" and you click the blue text below it!

Are you on your phone? The GC ap is sometimes a bit wonky from what I hear. :cool:

11. LOL what a dumbass, sorry.. Yeah I see it now..Thank you
    :eek:

12. Hon, I work in education- I spend my whole day pointing out the obvious! lol No prob! :D

13. ya weed is great for these, smoke as much you can man!

14. I used an anti-depressant for about 5 years. Until the FDA said, "Whoops. We've black-boxed your pills. Turns out they can destroy your liver. Our bad." I won't even get into the horrific PAIN my brain was in from the withdrawls.

Never. Fucking. Again. Fuck you, big pharma. Fuck you, FDA.

Cannabis. Good enough for me.

Edit: obviously, it doesn't cure anger. LOL!

15. I disagree. I smoked when I was depressed and for about 30mins my troubles were gone and I enjoyed unhindered happiness. But then I would start thinking sad things when I was high and it fucking sucked. I stopped for 3 weeks, straightened my life out a bit, and when I returned to the pot, I once again enjoyed happy highs. I do believe that marijuana can bring on and escalate depression. I say lay off the herb for a bit friend.

16. #16 shaggish, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    i've suffered from depression for about 15 years. i've been on a number of anti-depressant and anxiety pills. none of the anti-depressants did much but make me feel physically ill along with mentally.

marijuana doesnt help my depression in the long run but it doesnt give me that temporary "fuck it" relaxed feeling. works like a charm for anxiety every time though.

i still use clonazepam for my restless leg syndrome but that has nothing to do with depression or anxiety....i dont think anyway.

Seroquel withdrawals were the worst for me, felt like a heroin junkie.

i feel like after a few years of failed medicines the doctors were just giving me shit randomly and hoping for the best.

<--- Bi-polar possible mild schizophrenia

17. i def wouldnt take too many meds.

and a trip through northern africa/southern asia will fix your depression at the snap of the finger so if you are serious about it save up some GWAAAP

18. #18 shaggish, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

how? seeing people that are worse off than me isn't going to fix depression. that's actually pretty fucking stupid

i felt bad for not walking/feeding my dog but then one of those animal abuse commercials came on and i thought, "shit, at least he's not one of them." walk/food unnecessary :rolleyes:

19. I have trouble sleeping, but a little weed fixes that.
    I'm disabled and suffer joint and muscle pain, weed fixes that,
    and yes certainly I also use it as an anti-depressant.

Also I have anxiety problems whenever I travel by train(which seems to be a lot, quite recently), but weed helps with that too.

20. I too use cannabis for depression and anxiety.

For me, it's been incredible and life-changing, yet frustrating and confusing at the same time. Living in a non-medical state, I have no way of knowing what I'm getting and how much THC/CBD/etc is present in a particular strain.

Since I began smoking a couple years ago, I've had several-month stretches where I was on top of the fucking world. Happy, confident in social interactions, improving every relationship I had, sleeping well, zero anxiety, etc. I even landed the job I currently have over 500 other applicants during this "high" phase due to a mind-blowing interview performance. I was myself at my absolute best. It was miraculous. Then, and this is usually when I switch strains, I enter week/month long periods of melancholy. Not much confidence, not much happiness. Not miserable or suicidal necessarily, but very unsatisfied compared to what I know I am capable of feeling.

My point is, try your best to figure out what exactly you're smoking. I know it's hard in non-medical states, but it does matter. Different balances of cannabanoids have entirely different effects on your brain. Anyone who says "weed is weed, maaaaannn" is an uneducated and ignorant fool.

I'm currently taking a break from weed, maybe for a couple weeks, to hopefully clear everything out upstairs and once again see benefits. Would love if this thread stayed active so we can all share advice and experiences.