I believe in the right to die.

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by MariaJuana92, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I think we should all look at the world from a morality standpoint and not a legality one, I have seen cancer patients purchase poison for themselves, I think it's their right to die in peace.

2. People prone to depression and bipolar disorder should just have a ring made with the words "This too shall pass" etched on it.

3. Oregon, Washington and Montana. And soon, hopefully Massachusetts too, if those fearmongering ads don't sway too many voters.

4. I have to agree with fizzly, nobody has a right to tell us what we should and shouldnt do providing we dont cause any harm to another human.

5. I hate when people just label suicide a selfish act. Don't try and pretend like you have any idea what type of physical and or mental pain that person is going through. Think if your life was so bad you wanted to kill yourself and actually wanted to go through with it.

If someone is in constant unbearable pain I would say its selfish of family/friends to keep that person alive.

A lot of people say if a person wants to commit, then to just do it... Well it doesn't work like that. Many terminally ill patients can't physically do it, they are already dependent upon family/friends to complete the most basic tasks ( changing clothes, bathing, eating, drinking) these people just need a little help reaching peace. Who are we to say that it should be illegal having no comprehension of the pain that person is going through.

LET THE PEOPLE BE FREE

6. It's called a hitman lol

Also, I believe everyone should have the right to kill themselves, but they should go through treatment first and if in like a year or two they still want to off themselves then let them. Put a needle in their arm and have them overdose and use the money from their bank accounts or other assets to handle the cost of burying them.

If someone is terminally ill and they want to do die then let them. You tried treating them and it didnt help so let them die. Just dont make it messy because last thing we need is for someone to off themselves with a gun and have their family members or some other poor citizen have to come in and clean that stuff up. I remember when I first found out that police don't clean up crime scenes. I was shocked. You have to pay someone to come in they dont offer the service. I always thought they did.

7. Highdea real talk. Humans aren't designed to take that much pain. In "nature" a terminally ill person would simply not survive long at all. Because of technology and medical advancements we are keeping these people alive much longer than NATURE INTENDED and going through much more pain than NATURE INTENDED. Humans aren't designed to deal with that level of pain. Fuck the bible humpers etc.. Keeping these people alive against their will for an unnaturally long time. Keep you're fucking religion out of my government.

One might reference the physicians oath: "The health of my patient will be my first consideration;" well it's not healthy to keep these people alive. It's expensive, it's hard on everybody. Everyone knows to pull my plug in any event, that's for sure.

8. A person has the right to end its own existence. It's selfish for the peers of the person committing suicide to make someone they "love" stay alive so they won't feel pain. If the person really wants to die, let them die. Who are you to tell them different?

9. #50 Fizzly, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    There is another Frontline program about assisted suicide airing on my local PBS tonight:

Episode: The Suicide Plan
    (First Aired: Nov. 13, 2012)
    Assisted suicide is illegal in every state except Oregon and Washington.

====================================================================

EDIT:

Sheesh, I watched the first half or so and had to switch. There was a lot of good information, but it was kinda morbid and creepy. If I was facing it myself, or a loved one was, then I would probably be more into watching it.

10. I agree.

I just gave this thread CPR and it lives ;)

11. ^ This thread needs a DNR :p

I firmly believe that your life should be just that, your life. And you should have the freedom to do what you want with it, including end it. There's nothing selfish about doing what you want with your own life. Period.

As far as assisted suicide goes, I'm for that too, provided there's little hope of meaningful survival and/or the person has made their wishes known beforehand. We put animals who are dying out of their misery, humans are not as different from animals as we like to think we are.

12. That's honestly one of the most ignorant things I've ever read on this site, and I mean that with all due respect. Your actions impact others around you whether you want to admit it or not, and sometimes you have to put the wishes of others in front of your own. If you don't then well, everyone will just think you're a selfish asshole, and nobody wants people to think of them like that.

13. #54 Cereal Killer, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2012
    At the end of the day, people will almost always do what's right for themselves. Human beings are selfish by nature. So why is suicide particularly selfish? You don't belong to your family. You don't belong to your friends. I didn't say it doesn't impact others, but decisions involving your own life should be your own.

And I hate the 'selfish asshole' attitude about people who commit suicide. I had to hear it from distant family and my brother's friends after he killed himself, and let me tell you something, that is the last thing a relative/friend of someone who commits suicide wants to hear. Do I miss my brother? You better believe I do. Do I wish he hadn't done it? Of course. Do I resent him one bit for it? I don't. He was in a very bad situation and living a hard life, and was obviously in a lot of pain. He made a hasty decision, and that was it. He wanted an escape from the pain, and he got it.

I really wish he had found an alternative to it, but how can I sit there and criticize my own brother for not wanting to suffer? I'm sure if you had lost someone you love to suicide you wouldn't be calling them a selfish asshole, so be careful talking down on other people. And what the hell happened to having some respect for the dead? That includes not bad-mouthing them, especially in front of their family and friends. I assure you, nobody who has lost someone to suicide, or who is suicidal themselves, wants to hear that. Say that kind of thing to someone contemplating suicide, you will only makes them feel worse and push them harder to do it. I don't know if saying those kinds of things is a way for the person to try to appear superior to the people who take their lives, or what, I don't know. But I hate it.

The only way I'd consider suicide to be truly selfish is if you have a child.

14. True that, you're life you're choice if there's nothing that can be done anyways. If I was in that situation I wouldn't want drugs though, I'd rather be shot.

15. The human population is suppose to double in my life time. Why shouldn't people be aloud to kill themselves?

16. This is legal in my state of Missouri. And it should be everywhere. My girlfriend works at a bank, and she actually handles the account of a man who does assisted suicide for a living.

If you want to end your life that is your business. It is not selfish. It is selfish of the people around you, who want to keep you around them wallowing in your misery just because they will be sad for a bit when you die.

That's how I feel about it.

17. We're forced into life, no one asked to be born. If they want to give up that privilege then so be it. It's not selfish, it's not stupid, its not stubborn. Let them choose because you don't know what's best for them and you shouldn't claim to.

18. I personally believe in basic rights that all humans should have, such as rights to do what they please with their bodies (prostitution, drugs, etc.). So tied into this belief is of course the right to end your life as painlessly as possible, if they choose to do so. There should be at least a 3 day waiting period from the time they request it though, to give them time to make 100% sure they want to go through with it. I'm pretty sure the Netherlands have laws similar to this.

19. This video should be enough to change anyone's mind. Having a system whereby you are not allowed to kill yourself is beneficial to no one. Agreeably there are flaws, such as when people may be under the influence of alcohol which could be clouding their decision, but when it comes to a situation like this, whereby someone physically cannot do anything to end their own life the option has every right to be there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJRZNecpMeY]Call for UK to have assisted suicide for terminally ill people (05Jan12) - YouTube[/ame]