Using aluminum foil in pc grow box?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cjblazer, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Hi everybody im going to start my grow this weekend and i was wondering if instead of using mylar or a car sun shade if i could use aluminum foil? It seems like it would do the same thing, but what do i know im completely new to the grow world. I've seen it done in a journal done on here, but i was wondering what you recommend?

2. Not for reflection. Flat white paint is much better, and mylar is the best.

3. Hi there, i'm also new, and i'm also growing in a pc box :hello: i've used emergency blanket (got it from local drug store) it cost like 3bucks for 1.5m2. And it works nice, would of used brillinat white but i've had holes to cover.
    hope ive helped

4. Not sure about the emerg. Blanket but I'm sure it's almost like tin foil and you do not want to use this in your grow. The cracks and crinkles create hot spots and are known to burn your garden. You want white panda plastic, Mylar or just pain white paint for grows.

5. Yeah tin foil is a big no no haha I'm on a low budget and luckily I found some white paint. Works great for me.

6. Been using for 10 days so far, no burns or anything like that, 2 cfls 45w each 1inch from light

7. Thanks for such a quick reply sorry i havent checked my email cause ive been in school all day. Now after school ill be stopping to get some mylar! Thanks:smoking:

8. I need two more things to complete my box.
    -soil
    -lightbulbs
    What soil and bulbs do you reccomend? I making a stop at walmart or home depot after school today

9. i'd say cfls are the only way to go, people say 100w of actual watts per plant is good, and cfls are kinda the only way to go (imo). About soil i don't know, i've just bought some organic soil mix and it works fine.

10. HID is the way to go..

But, CFLs are a great learning experience. Try and find the highest wattage (actual not equivalent) bulb that's 6500K. Don't get bulbs under 20w, I recommend 40w bulbs if available.

11. Nope...don't use 'em...their reflective properties are generally horrendous...

When people talk about mylar being good, it is the horticultural grade mylar, made especially for the purpose of reflecting light...emergency blankets, car windshield covers and the like are not made for that, they're generally made to reflect heat...they generally only reflect about 50% of light on average...

The absolute best cheap solution as stated above is flat white paint...as also stated above, panda film is a good option...

12. Hmm. Ive seen many grows where they use the windshield covers and they seem to work great, but you wouldnt reccomend it?

13. Nope...they are made to reflect infra red light/heat...it'll keep your grow area at a higher temp, and will not reflect light as well as proper mylar, or even as well as white paint for that matter...

14. +1 for no aluminum foil and no emergency blankets. As IF said, they are made to reflect heat not light. If you hold those space blankets up to the light you can see through them, clearly light passing through is light not reflected. There's a reason the true horticulture-grade mylar you want costs $20-$25 a roll. Flat bright white also works well, often is considered cheaper but you need to price it out for your grow space, sometimes it costs as much as mylar in which case get a roll or mylar.

BTW folks, the search button can answer a lot of these questions for you, as you can imagine you aren't the first person to think of these questions.

15. [quote name='"cjblazer"']

I need two more things to complete my box.
    -soil
    -lightbulbs
    What soil and bulbs do you reccomend? I making a stop at walmart or home depot after school today[/quote]

Not going to find what u want there. Mg soil and cheap cfl lights. If your going to do it, do it right.

16. she will come lol