Alabama up next for legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by OUCH OUCH OUCH, Oct 30, 2012.

1. AL House Health Committee Calls Nov. Med Marijuana Meeting - Toke of the Town - cannabis news, views, rumor and humor.
    Years of hard work by the Alabama Medical Marijuana Coalition (AMMJC) is starting to pay off.

House Bill 2, The Alabama Medical Marijuana Patients' Rights Act, is scheduled for a pre-session meeting before the Alabama House Health Committee next month, with experts on medicinal cannabis invited to speak.

"Rep. McClendon is having a meeting of the Health Committee to hear proponents and opponents of Medical Marijuana, November 14, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. in the Joint Briefing Room," Committee Clerk Mary Ruth Davis emailed bill sponsor Rep. Patricia Todd on Tuesday.

According to Ron Crumpton, co-president of AMMJC, Rep. McClendon told Rep. Todd that testimony on HB 2 will not be limited unless it gets redundant.

HB 2 makes provisions for patients with designated chronic illnesses to access and use medical marijuana. The bill also protects the patients' designated caregiver to purchase, possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for their patient's treatment. The bill makes no changes in the law regarding recreational cannabis use.

AMMJC's success in getting a scheduled hearing followed a months-long email campaign in which supporters were urged to contact Chairman Rep. Jim McClendon and other members of the Health Committee.

"Last year, more than one member of the House told us that our organization had the most effective lobbying effort of all the nonprofit organizations," said Chris Butts, co-president of the AMMJC. "We must maintain that pressure. We must show them that last year was not just a flash in the pan, and that we are not going away."

'"Where are the doubters now?" Crumpton told Toke of the Town Tuesday afternoon. "They said we would never get a hearing."

2. Thats awesome, I live in Pensacola, which is practically alabama lol

3. Tuscaloosa here. Hopefully we can get that California bud in the south

4. If Alabama gets it before we do in Mass, someone's gonna die. Probably a Mass governor.

5. That's if they can give a good argument during the committee.

6. [quote name='"CKTony"']If Alabama gets it before we do in Mass, someone's gonna die. Probably a Mass governor.[/quote]

If Alabama gets it before California someone's never going to hear the end of it.

7. I thought Cali has it already......wasn't it one of the first ones to get it ? :confused:

8. [quote name='"Bigpineguy"']

I thought Cali has it already......wasn't it one of the first ones to get it ? :confused:[/quote]

Just re read the post. You are right . Sorry

9. Roll tide, hope it happens!

10. Well when you have a popular political figure like Mitt Romney... things don't seem to go well.
    But who knows. I've never been to Massachusetts or Alabama. For some reason I don't see Alabama passing it any time soon. Maybe I'm just assuming the south is too much like the Bible Belt.

11. This is a push we needed to get the ball rolling in AL. now to get the whole south thinking on medical, maybe one will pass it

12. I live in Dothan and while I'd love for medical here I really doubt it would happen. Way too many uninformed people here

13. Lifetime resident of "The Gump", certainly no stranger to the old boy network that runs things around here politically. That's why, even though this is encouraging, I see little chance of anything coming of this hearing. Perhaps that is progress, slow and steady and at times in the most unlikely of places. I'm afraid that there is a prevailing mindset that the very vocal religious right pushes that marijuana is of the Devil; Agnostic here but you can't escape these door knockers. As for the other states who have passed bills for medicinal use, it's the sad reality that the federal government is playing a trump card in circumventing the will of the people. To that end I would not be likely to place myself under their radar by becoming a patient under their guidelines nor would I trust them to competently oversee it's execution; I might live in fear, but I've proven that I can meet my own needs clandestinely.

14. Wow misleading title much?

15. It would also be nice to see it in Tn, Ga, etc. The south needs to get with the times.

16. Once a state close to the south gets medical, I'm sure it will happen. I hate to be a downer but i just cant see alabama becoming anything like colorado with medical mj. I imagine a strict strict system, where you have to have a life threatening condition to get a mmj card, with very few people handing the cards out. But if the heart of dixie went medical, i would be callin all my buds at UAB right away, RTR.

17. I honestly see a better chance for Tennessee

18. Legal in Bama? Never happen.

We still have dry counties, what's that tell ya?

19. ' So let's all give a good rebel yell:yay: and then get busy educating the folks! There is no way this is not going to make the local news! Get on line and start commenting! And don't just make one comment, come back and educate some more! Folks read those comments! :D

You have to convince them that cannabis IS medicine and not "the devil's weed with roots in hell"! Tell them that the Yankees are still lying to them! lol Show them articles like little gems!

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (Compares Aricept & THC!) (news - 2006)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]

Marijuana compound could stop aggressive cancer metastasis (Mind-blowing!) (news - 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana compound could stop aggressive cancer metastasis - Yahoo! News India[/FONT]

One in 8 with fibromyalgia uses cannabis as medicine (Why would 1 in 8 women break the law to use pot?) (news – 2012)
    [FONT=&quot]One in 8 with fibromyalgia uses cannabis as medicine | Reuters[/FONT]

WebMD has good name recognition and a good reputation, but has put out several favorable articles!

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries
    Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries

Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA
    Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Marijuana's Active Ingredient Targets Deadly Brain Cancer
    Marijuana's Active Ingredient Targets Deadly Brain Cancer

Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors
    Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors

Marijuana Ingredients Slow Invasion by Cervical and Lung Cancer Cells Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube

Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain
    Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain

Cannabis Relieves Multiple Sclerosis Pain (news - 2004)
    Cannabis Relieves Multiple Sclerosis Pain

Pot Chemical May Curb Inflammation (news – 2007)
    Pot Chemical May Curb Inflammation

Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults (news - 2010)
    Teen Pot Smoking Won't Lead to Other Drugs as Adults

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain (news – 2003)
    Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill
    Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill

Leave them at places like laundromats, student lounges, on a bench at the mall, wherever bored people gather! :D

Go to my List (1st link in my sig, or send me an email- bottom of my sig) and grab a few abstracts for your doctor! Post office doesn't care if there is a return address or not! :rolleyes:

Unless YOU act, Alabama will remain in the "Dark Ages"! You have to educate folks or they will vote NO!

Granny :wave:

20. Committee is where it will die as thats where all even remotely politically scandalous bills go to die. I have watched it up close for over 25 years and know it all too well. It will never make the Special Order Calendar...we missed it on the Lottery...and now even compassion won't sway these game show hosts into doing something that the voters actually needed and a plurality DO want it. Thats the way it goes down here, boy. They do NOT care and NOT ONE Politician will be brave enough to debate for it on the Senate floor. If it gets out of house...it dies in committee so they can do the Budget 10 minutes before midnight and they HAVE to adjourn sine die. If only it were different...I might not be moving away from the state I have called home for 40 years to seek SOME vision. These are the politicians your Momma warned you about. They THINK they know whats best for us...and it'll be interested to see what powerful lobbyist(s) push to have it "bound over indefinetly." Wish we could run them ALL out on a rail...they won't even let counties vote taxes or do anything without their approval. HOME RULE!!! We aren't 47th or dead last in the nation for nothing--childrens health, education, services, etc. Even Mississippi has SOME SORT of decrim. Little towns get alot of revenue from busting mostly minorities and poor white folks. What a joke...it makes me sad to think how little is really changed, or will ever change.