Haveing a hard time keeping seedlings alive

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thcmane, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Is it best to but my seedlings under my 400w hps mh or under something less strong like a cfl till they get growing??

2. It's best to germinate the seed before planting. When they're first planted they need water/moisture/warmth not necessarily light.

3. I use a small 13w tube fluorescent. Just for visibility until its around .75-1" tall then I use 2 23w cfls for a few days then turn on the rest, 138w per plant

4. I've been having the same issue recently, and it's never been an issue for me before in the past. For the past 6 months or so I've been cloning only, but now I have some new seed stock and I've been germinating them and trying to grow some. I've always gotten them to germinate but never live long enough to veg.

It was definitely the temperature though, because I bought a heating mat and I did what I always do (100% coco ph 5.5, under 46w CFL) and it seems to be doing fine now. It's growing slower and I notice the cold temps affecting it a bit still, but I believe that's a good place to start.

EDIT: I tried to counter the temps before by putting it directly under HID lighting, but even my 150watt HPS was burning them at about a foot away.