Are you okay with Death?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PeruvianDank, Oct 15, 2012.

1. I feel the same way. That I'll be dead and won't be here to see all the new technology and advancements we've made.

Another thing, when everyone was always talking about the world ending in 2012, it kinda upset me.

Not because I would die but because of how far the human race has come. Going from having to walk across continents to being able to fly there in just a few hours. And for all our progress to just be whipped out in seconds..

2. Before we were born we didn't exist. When you die, you no longer exist.
    Are you afraid of the time before you were born? No.

3. perfectly fine with it..

4. No, I'm not at all okay with death. It's one of the only things I fear. It literally terrifies me. As much as my angsty young years grew to hate this place, I can't fathom a day not witnessing/enjoying it.

5. I think it's a foregone conclusion to assume death as we know it is here to stay. If you look at the trends and improvements to our lifespans in the past hundred years and present-day progress in genetics, biology, and nanotechnology just to name a few fields, it is clear we are rapidly and substantially improving our body's abilities to fight infection, mutation, and apoptosis. But no, I'm not okay with it.

6. #26 jay-bird, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012
    Are you kiddin' me? Hell yeah! But there are rules.

1) As long as it doesn't happen untimely, or when I feel it is before my time. It can only happen untimely if my death is quick and painless, without me realizing it or contemplating it.

2) If I was realizing that my life was ending, however, I hope I would have it in myself to just smile, and say, "It was a good run!" If I can't prevent my death, I would want to take it well. I can't think of someone who wouldn't regard realizing their impending death while still wanting to live as a shitty situation or even torturous. You gotta try and die happy, and in a timely matter, in which the idea of death feels like a better option than living.

3) If what you're asking is if I will do everything in my power at all times to stay alive then the answer is yes, I will always be doing my best to stay alive and may become very stressed in the process or at the thought of my potential death.

In short, I'm okay with it, but still don't want it to happen. If I die and don't realize it or contemplate it; it doesn't matter.
    If I'm aware of my own impending death, I have to accept it somehow, or else I will die very frustrated, scared, or both. Fuck that.

Also, if it helps, I usually don't stay focussed on my death and worry about it cuz like thread starter, or OP i think, stated, I know its gonna come.

7. For my own death, yes. For others in particular, no. Not quite yet.

8. hell yes, i actually want death to come soon.

but im not gonna kill myself! im waiting till i have my death experience

death is the gateway to infinite love and joy... who wouldnt want that?

9. :laughing: I have *rules* too where it's more acceptable.

I never want to die when my life is out of my responsibility. (i.e, plane crash)
    I'd prefer to be driving my car or something and some idiot veers in front of me, at least my last thought will probably be "Oh shit, get out of the way." And not just, "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die."

10. I would like to be one of those who say, "I do not care about my eventual death as it is inevitable," but I do quite enjoy being alive and conscience. I also have had a couple events where I questioned if I was going to be alive tomorrow or not. I very much enjoy life, and I have to believe this grand universe, and our tiny primitive minds have no idea of the grandeur of our existence.

I fear death, I loath it. I know I will die, probably sooner than later, but I don't look forward to death. Maybe that is the great exploration of life. Experiencing the end? I wonder at what I shall see in my final few moments? What will my brain produce?

-Cheers!

11. QUOTE NOT WORKING!

i used to be but since i started smoking weed and gaining interest in psychedelics (still haven't tried any yet) my fear has turned into more of a curiosity.i dont remember who said it but they said it best. im paraphrasing since im going by memory but you get the idea. i think a blade has the exact quote in their sig actually."i was dead for millions of years before i was alive and i wasnt inconvenienced in the slightest by it."

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY BLAZELE

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

-Mark Twain AKA Samuel Clemens

12. Yes. it's not even that scary. It's scary for about half a second and then it's over.

13. Mack D Rockefeller,

It is not even that scary? I take it you have experienced death? I have come close with a couple 911 calls. I assure death is not all it's cracked up to be!

14. I am fine with death, life is what concerns me. My goal in life is freedom, if I cannot be free in life, then I will give my life toward increasing the freedom for others.

The love of life and fear of death is the greatest weapon of the oppressors of humanity. If you cherish your life over everything, a threat on your life will make you a bend to the whims of the oppressors.

Overcome death, pronounce you're free, and oppose the oppressors.

" This is the world we live in
    And these are the hands we're given
    Use them and let's start trying
    To make it a place worth living in."

15. #35 Oni~, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
    Absolutely not okay with it.

While I hate to spoil anyone's personal little death cult (I know croaking has been very popular on this planet for millennia), we've seen the many, many horrible ways in which people die.

I don't want to be eaten alive by a wild animal.
    I don't want to be raped, tortured, driven to insanity before death by my enemies.
    I don't want to drown or burn to death or any of the other frequent ways people violently go.
    I don't want those or many other gruesome fates to befall any of my friends and family.

So when we're talking about who's cool with death and who's not, let's not kid ourselves with fond thoughts about how everyone quietly just fades away in their warm bed, surrounded by family and friends. Yes, that also happens, but not for all. Not for many, and perhaps not for most. Death has been a major cunt to a very large amount of humanity and continues to be that way. Countless inventions and standards of living humanity created throughout history were precisely for the one main reason: Not to get killed. From spears to defend against wild animals, to medicine, to safety equipment currently operating on the International Space Station, we invent and keep inventing to stay away from death.

While I'm atheist as "hell", I've always said it does not surprise me in the slightest that religion appeals to as many people as it does. Death is, was, and continues to be a motherfucker for many, many people, and to have it NOT have a meaning, to just die and be gone and never see loved ones again is simply too terrifying a concept for many, if not most. Any game in town that tells you that that's actually not the case and it's the land of milk and honey instead, will of course majorly appeal to most. Especially when all hope for earthly real life safety and survival has disappeared.

I fully support a person's right to check out if they want to check out on their own terms, but even then, there are almost every single time heavy, heavy reasons why they want to go. They are either suffering illness, physical and/or mental, or have endured other life shattering events that absolutely broke them. Perfectly happy and healthy people neither want nor welcome death, and that makes perfect sense to me. I'd argue any and all consideration of being "ok" with it is deeply rooted in the fact that as it currently and historically stands, there is nothing we can do about it. Because of this, people see it as a choice of "be okay with it, or live a sad life."

I'm not saying we should live our life in fear and depression because death sucks and is inevitable, but I firmly believe that if humanity actually had the option of not dying, as well as did not have to endure misery and suffering in life, we'd find a lot fewer people "okay" with death.

16. I call bullshit on each and every one of you death wishers.

gtfo. too funny. probably can't fight your way out of a paper bag, nor had a broken bone in your life

attention seek much.

🐜

17. Nearly died on the operating table caused my views to change.

I dont fear death but I fear not seeing the fruit of my ballsack grow up. I fear them being ok when I die. I fear their children being tortured by seeing the parents and my kids die.

Death sucks and thats why I would never kill myself no matter how many times I have contemplated it.

Whats that quote from full matal jacket?> > All the dead know is it's better to be alive.

18. If you want something to really fear go to a nursing home and check out the poor people languishing there...I'd take death anytime over lying in bed not being able to care for myself...

19. Become a baby again, no dignity whatsoever for them people. Left sitting around in their own piss and shit. I would rather use a bender esque suicide booth.