Are you okay with Death?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by PeruvianDank, Oct 15, 2012.

1. The premise might be ridiculous; like it or not, you're going to die one day, maybe tomorrow, perhaps in a hundred years. But there's not debating or arguing with Death, it will beat you somehow. Do you ever wonder what it actually means to die?

And...

Are you okay with dying? I don't really fear Death per se but I do get frustrated that I won't be here to witness Humanity's progress or fall. I will miss out on a lot of knowledge and I won't get closer to answering Life's most important questions. I won't get to know many awesome people, I won't get to see more sunrises or sunsets; I won't amass that many experiences. Perhaps, even a thousand lives wouldn't be enough to someone who treasures Life as much as I do.

Still, I don't complain that I have only one life, at least not seriously. Its better than not being here at all. Even if Life is a fleeting dream or a Promethean journey, it has been surprising and magical nonetheless.

What are the best moments in Life like? What do you treasure most about being alive? What is the best way to live a Life, according to you?

Just stoned, need some fresh thoughts to continue my quixotic philosophical quest :smoke:

2. I always think of death as being a complete blank state, like imagining what it was like before you were born. And no, I'm not very comfortable with dying, and I'd say most of the people who say theyre fine with the idea are liars.

I dont really treasure anything in life. It might sound depressing (and I guess it is) but even though my life may not be exciting or even remotely ideal I still dont want to die. Not yet, anyway. I'd claw tooth and nail just to be able to sit on my couch, watch TV and work my shitty job. Basically, I dont really feel there's anything to get out of life; materialism, spirituality, philosophy are all just pastimes.

3. I use to be terrified, had way bad depression. But now I take a spiritual outlook to it. When I die my energy will just go into the cosmos and maybe I'll win the self aware lottery again. Live a new life as a different form in another star system. Been studying a lot of quantum mechanics lately too, and parallel universes are such mind fucks. Also quantum mechanics makes my spiritual views not seem so far fetched because that "energy" I am referring to is actually atoms. My atoms will go on forever and may create life once again. Who knows really? All I know is that our universe is fucking incredible, and I feel lucky to at least have 1 life in it. That's good enough for me anyways.

4. well the way i say it is that if the universe is infinate and has no beggining or end, ANd remember the BIG BANG IS ONLY THEORY, then that would make us infinate no begging no end, well end in form but always changing like the universe

5. The real question is: Why should I care?

I can't avoid death. We all die, at some point. Why waste precious moments of living wasting time thinking about our eventual demise?

6. How can we be scared of something we have never experienced yet?

I personally don't believe it's the end, well the end of "me" as I used to know it.

My answer would be no, I am more worried/scared at times thinking about the death of a family member/friend. Death is beautiful to me besides the whole idea of not being with family members.

Sorry going way off topic Op you asked am I okay with it?

sure am....sure am :)

7. How can you not be ok with death? Its going to happen so just embrace it!

8. I'm kind of apathetic towards death. It's going to happen, there's no use arguing against it, it's part of natural life. You can no more argue against death than you can argue with the Sun.

The base idea used to terrify me, that I'd be leaving everything I've ever known, indeed that 'I' won't exist in any way shape or form. But certain experiences have led me to accept it and as I am right now I'm somewhat comfortable with it. I don't want to die, but I have to, it's part of being a human being. It's part of existing.

9. yeah i wonder but i'm not sure i'll ever know.

yeah i kinda look forward to it in an optimistic kind of way. it doesn't have to be a bad thing but that also doesn't mean i'm not going to strive to live every moment like it's a blessing worth experiencing.

that's a really good question. i think maybe it's making that connection, whether it be with yourself and by extension the universe or with another individual.

i treasure life itself, it's an infinite experience. i'm not sure the best way to live a Life except on your own terms.

10. Death is a very misunderstood phenomenon. Every living organism will eventually experience it, but it leaves those on this side often in bewilderment.

I personally don't believe death to ne the end of everything. Objectively time and space don't exist as we have thought. In certain circumstances subatomic particles remain connected to each other regardless of distance. If one is observed with a top spin, the other will automatically assume a down spin. This violates einstiens theory of relativaty that nothing can excede the speed of light. This begs the question that maybe what we call "space" is simply a lattice work. If that's the case then there would be a fundamental unit of measure. We call this the Plank constant.

Time and space are interconnected, so if one exists the other does. For example we know if your going 60 mph you will go 60 miles in one hour. Distance (space) / time = how fast your going.

If space is an illusion than time must be as well, and if that's the case there will never be a moment in "time" that you don't exist. You always exist. Death could simply be a reboot.

There are so many other phenomenon in this world that in my opinion is all connected. Even the holographic paradigm theory is being taken seriously by many physicists, and it sounds like something out of a metaphysical religion.

To answer your question. No I am not afraid of death. It is an unexplained phenomenon that I await with egar anticipation.

11. i used to be but since i started smoking weed and gaining interest in psychedelics (still haven't tried any yet) my fear has turned into more of a curiosity.

i dont remember who said it but they said it best. im paraphrasing since im going by memory but you get the idea. i think a blade has the exact quote in their sig actually.

"i was dead for millions of years before i was alive and i wasnt inconvenienced in the slightest by it."

12. Yeah me and death are cool, I'd even go as far as to say we're bros.

13. I fully embrace death. I don't want to die because I don't think I've experienced enough in this form on this Earth yet. But I know once I die the place I'll be in a better place whether you call it heaven or the 5th dimension or what have you. I don't think life is striving on Earth now anyways and for what's to come in the NWO or just the general path we are headed to as a civilization I don't agree with.

14. Can't wait for it, seems like a very exciting moment in life. Plus, I know, that there is no end to 'me' as there was no 'me' to start with. The fact that appearances in reality are more or less illusory, less here than we think, more here than nihilists suggest (there is no no-thing), is shown on the quantum levels in physics.

The fabric of reality is ineffable as shown in electrons, there, but not there. If we grasp at the location, we can't fix a speed. If we fix a speed, we can't grasp a location. Quantum particles are simultaneously in all places at all times and in one place at one time. The idea of death therefore does not phase me as it doesn't seem like there is anything here that truly passes away.

Life is space expressing itself within itself. It holds no concrete forms and adheres strictly to no definitions at all. So why try to put a label on something that is ultimately without?

15. "I'm not afraid of death, i just don't want to be there when it happens." -Woody Allen

16. As long as dude get me my money on time Im straight w him

17. I'm comfortable with it, who knows what lies after death, could be nothing, could be a whole new spiritual plane that we can't even begin to grasp or imagine

18. Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss,I'm a very Positive person at that:D

19. I don't want to die yet but I don't entirely fear it at all. I just don't want to die in a horrible, painful way lol. All in all I look forward to see how it will end and see what's next step if there is one.

20. Beautifully said!