DIY Grow Box

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by hemptation420, Oct 15, 2012.

1. This is my first post here And i thought i would start by showing my newly finished Box. (still to be sanded and stained)

The front of the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flowering Room:

[​IMG]

The Veg Room:

[​IMG]

And Storage and the vent area:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts or ideas maybe something i may have over looked are certainly welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Whats the wattage of those bulbs? You may need to double or triple your wattage to get at least average results. Box looks good though man. Nice job! :smoke:

• Like Like x 1

3. There 42w CFL i believe there 150w actual power. I was also thinking i needed a few more lights i was just following a guide i found.

As of right now my temps are perfect in the box so i think ill have to add more intake if i add more lights. If doubled the power of the 6 lights above the plexi and added the 6 smaller blulbs to the room would you say that would be enough for the flowering side?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I may just be high, but the fan in the center; is it blowing into a box, or is the box open on the bottom? Your setup is just what i'm wanting/needing to build and i am a noob at it all. Long time smoker, this will be my first grow.

5. Yes there is a hole in the bottom. Its to stop light leaks from the veg to flower room due to the fan.

And this was super simple to build..i can scan the blue prints i made for it if you would like.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Awesome, didn't even think about that. Sure, love to get an idea.

7. These were the orig. Plans i deviated only when needed but this should give you a decent idea of what i did.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Added some lights and made other much bigger.

Flower room:

[​IMG]

Veg room:

[​IMG]

9. Looks great! What are your bulbs equaling out to?

10. Flower - (4) Larger bulbs are 65 watt equivalent to 300 watts at 3900 lumens
    (7) Smaller bulbs are 23 watt equivalent to 100 watts at 1700 lumens

Veg - (5) Larger bulbs are 45 watt equivalent to 200 watts at 2700 lumens
    (2) Smaller bulbs are 23 watt equivalent to 100 watts at 1700 lumens

11. I think you have a good amount of cfl for one or two plants in each room and get a good yield. The only problem is that cfls have very little light penetration and need to be literally within 6" of the bulbs to seem to get fast growth. I would highly recommend getting some corded fixtures or make a good fixture and grow an even canopy. Otherwise you will have trouble contorting the plants around to receive the light.

12. Looks good with the lights.

Just my .02 here but.... Next time I would recommend going hid. In your flower box you already have a bit over 400W in CFL. If that was 400W in HID you would have way more lumens and light penetration power. Just a thought for the future. I would give this box a run and then try out some HID the next grow and see the difference. I imagine the HID would cost about the same as all the CFL bulbs maybe a bit more.

13. I was seriously considering it. but the cost was a bit much. Further down the road once this box is running smoothly i want to make a second for a scrog Def going with HID :D

Im just waiting on my seeds and then im off to the races.. White widow - Breeder vision and Kali Mist Breeder - serious seeds

14. [quote name='"hemptation420"']

I was seriously considering it. but the cost was a bit much. Further down the road once this box is running smoothly i want to make a second for a scrog Def going with HID :D

Im just waiting on my seeds and then im off to the races.. White widow - Breeder vision and Kali Mist Breeder - serious seeds[/quote]

Oh nice man. I need to start growing some true genetics. I'm just working a bag seed strain at the moment.

15. This is a nice growbox, what material are you using for the inside walls?

16. Even from bag Seeds your plant looks very nice.. Unfortunately 2 of your plants turned out male..but on a good note practice is practice :)

I'm guessing your talking about the white poly? That is called "panda film" its a reflective white on 1 side and black on the other side. This helps in a many number of ways, Reflective surface (number 1 reason), Vapour barrier (helps seal the box), and as a floor is hold ne over sprayed water and is super easy to clean!

17. Just finished the stain on the box, Keep it inconspicuous ;). Not sure if i wanna put a gloss over it to make it shine a bit or keep it the flat colour. Either way The box is done and i got my Seeds in the mail today!!

Box:

[​IMG]

Seeds:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ru roh, shits about to get real. Box looks good man; nj on the stain.

19. [quote name='"hemptation420"']
    I'm guessing your talking about the white poly? That is called "panda film" its a reflective white on 1 side and black on the other side. This helps in a many number of ways, Reflective surface (number 1 reason), Vapour barrier (helps seal the box), and as a floor is hold ne over sprayed water and is super easy to clean![/quote]

Thanks that helps a lot. Another question, what is the plexiglass for on the flowering room?

20. The plexi is to create a heat trap So i could have more lights in the smaller space. There are 2 x 120mm fans in the box directly above them, and they pull the hot air right off the lights into the venting area of the box.