When does seedling stage end?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dukedogg76, Oct 13, 2012.

1. When should week one of Veg start? Day X from seed? Third set of true leaves? I'm at day 38 from seed and not sure when to flip to 12/12. Thanks, guys.

2. switching to 12/12 is whenever you want it.

Just remember......when switching to flower your plants can double or triple in size

3. Seedlings are just plants early in the vegetative phase of life. Vegetative growth starts with the first set of leaves. The real concerns on an indoor grow are sexual maturity and height. Plants even if flipped to 12/12 won't bud until they are mature. Just like humans having all the required parts doesn't mean they can reproduce before developing. The majority of strains should be capable of reproduction at about three to four weeks from seed. The second, and often most determining factor on an indoor grow is height. Unless using some form of training allow for the plant to grow 3x taller during flower.

4. I always wait till about day 21 through 25 because that's when they'll have all shown sex without a light change.i consider the plant a seedling till week two because a seedling gets no nutrients and a vegetative plant gets high n grow food. So there is a difference.

5. ^This. There really is no separate seedling life-stage.

But underlying your question seems to be a desire to use the calendar to determine when to flower. Don't. Flower when the plant is vegged to where you want it to be to start flowering, regardless of how many days that is.

6. Good advise the calendar has nothing to do with anything I don't veg as soon as. My clones have roots flower power and when I get 3 leafs flower just faster and my plants are harvested about 3 ft tall and its Very manageable but I only harvest 4 a month

veg is not a requirement is just let's you know sex and if you have plant number restrictions you have to go bigger for more yield but IMO fast and smaller I also have 12 harvests a year while some that veg for months have 6 or less

7. [quote name='"toastybiz"']^This. There really is no separate seedling life-stage.

But underlying your question seems to be a desire to use the calendar to determine when to flower. Don't. Flower when the plant is vegged to where you want it to be to start flowering, regardless of how many days that is.[/quote]

What factors do you take into consideration (other than the calendar) to determine it's time? Projected size? Limitations of your set up? What about anatomically? Is there any rule of thumb you use (I.e., wont flip until 5th set of leaves at minimum)?

Also, my girls are about 12" in three gallon pots. Will I be able to finish (if I flip soon) in those pots? If not, would you recommend transplanting before flowering starts? Is that too much stress to transplant, change light and change nutes at the same time?

8. Depending on grow style 1 rule of thumb is Flip to 12/12 when they are between 1/3-1/2 way to being as tall as you want them to be. Earlier then that isn't bad, later then that isn't technically bad but you risk them getting bigger then your space can handle