The MoonBase

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Grow Journals' started by Unhinged, Oct 8, 2012.

1. The good old dollar store who would of thought Thes have a useful gardening section lol

2. [quote name='"Texrockdfw"']The good old dollar store who would of thought Thes have a useful gardening section lol[/quote]

They actually sell a lot of cheap gardening shit, you'd be very surprised because fuck I was in heaven lol.

3. How do you start seeds for hydro??

I usually just toss them in the hydroton but I can never get them to grow... :confused_2:

:eek:

:D

:metal:

4. I wish i could give you some input, Ive only ever used canna coco

5. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']How do you start seeds for hydro??

I usually just toss them in the hydroton but I can never get them to grow... :confused_2:

:eek:

:D

:metal:[/quote]

Same exact method, except when I go to place into the hydroton I fill a bucket of water and get it room temp. Pull the plant out of the pot and wash off the coco/perlite as much as I can, and then place it directly into the hydroton. Done this many times and have never lost a pup yet.

6. Ya, I've done the same thing, but with a 50/50 soil perlite.. ;)
    I'll have to try Coco, cause the 50/50 soil works better then RRs, and really the best...

Well unless you're setup with a proper drip system...
    Then I still stand my RW, but I aint got all that setup, so RR and Dirt'in it.... :D

7. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']
    I'll have to try CocoD[/quote]

Quit talking about and git'r done!

Lmao

:bolt:

8. Ya lost me.... :confused_2:

OK, be back in a while, back to trimming.... :rolleyes:

9. [quote name='"jakesterjammin"']Ya lost me.... :confused_2:

OK, be back in a while, back to trimming.... :rolleyes:[/quote]

LoL you've said many times you need to try coco, you even said in one post you were going to try it. My OBB?

Soooooo I'm saying stop talking about it and do it. Was ment to be a funny lol

:wave:

Ps trim that shit!

10. Well I did on G13 and 2 turned black.... :p
    Man I hope that I get a cpl girls out of the 3, all boys would totally suck ass... :rolleyes:

I also want to clone off that Dutch BB and seed it...
    But not sure how I'm going to do that, it's too cold in the basement to grow now..
    I'll figure something out....

:smoke:

11. lmao....

u guys...:D

im ITCHING to get my show on the road...all this taproot action is making me jones. the growbug...it's got a hold of me with no letting go. :(

i have an electric blanket i'm going to use this time..to keep the beans warm...i think that's why my lil guy didn't make it ...it was too cold.

but nice pictorial! i enjoyed the closeups thoroughly....gotta ask the wife to buy me some coco now...she'll prolly roll her eyes..:hello:

12. [quote name='"teedotoh"']lmao....

u guys...:D

im ITCHING to get my show on the road...all this taproot action is making me jones. the growbug...it's got a hold of me with no letting go. :(

i have an electric blanket i'm going to use this time..to keep the beans warm...i think that's why my lil guy didn't make it ...it was too cold.

but nice pictorial! i enjoyed the closeups thoroughly....gotta ask the wife to buy me some coco now...she'll prolly roll her eyes..:hello:[/quote]

Taproot envy? Lol

Careful you don't over heat them!! End up with popcorn.

Yeah I'm sure she'll roll them real good lol

13. teedotoh the taproot perv :eek: he will passout when he see's a pair of cotyledons :D:D
    middy

14. "anyone wanna guess a final yield based on the size of this here taproot......":D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::smoke::smoke:

nice step by step there UH, looks like everythings right on track.:hello: how much did that seedling mat run you?

Have you ever had a problem with helmet heads? I was in a discussion a while back, and it was mentioned that some people had started planting tap root up (hold on im not crazy:devious:) stating that the tap root will search out moisture which will be down, and that they will not grow into a lighted area if possible to go elsewhere. AND that once the tap root turns and starts growing down,the friction of soil moving around the seed casing as its thrust upwards will help dislodge helmet heads naturally. so...back to the original question...

frick, im baked.

15. #35 jakesterjammin, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    What I have found over the years, if the seed case comes off as the sprout comes out of the ground, then I do not have a problem...

On the other hand, if the sprout is out of the ground before it sheds the seed case, there is a membrane which holds the seed cracker leaves together, if that dries out before the seed case is shed, then the 2 cracker leaves cannot open, and thus the seedling dies...

When I'm faced with that, I'll mist the little helmet head, off and on for like an hour, then I take a toothpick and try to slide it
    in-between the seed cracker leaves, sliding it forward, dislodging this dry membrane, and the 2 leaves pop open...

Some times I tare off a side, or a chunk of a side...
    But does not matter because all these 2 leaves do is feed the seedling until it has enough roots to feed itself...
    In hydro, I'm feeding it really before it needs food anyway...

What you say makes total sense....
    I'm not sure it's the friction as opposed to keeping the seed case under the medium, thus keeping that membrane wet so the seedling can split or tear that membrane open, and spread it's 2 seed cracker leaves..

:wave:

16. [quote name='"Greentrails"']
    nice step by step there UH, looks like everythings right on track.:hello: how much did that seedling mat run you?
    [/quote]

$25 tops :) they sell a bunch of sizes

17. Im in if I may Love your grows as well as Jakesters wild plants Cool

18. So for the past week I've been working on this fucked up 500hp DC armature... What has happend is the on the drive end of this motor keep exploding (no joke) and it keeps taking out the journal on the shaft. Anyways I'm doing is because you can't fix a shaft by making it smaller with out building it up to fit the proper bearing size for that horse power. So what I have to do it machine the shaft down to roughly 0.050" and then I put it into a special lathe that I sit in and as the armature spins I weld on it to build up the shaft. So this all started last week and should of been done maybe two days later...

The process:
    -Setup lathe and dial in the shaft to less then 0.0005" on both sides.(10-15mins)
    -Machine the shaft to roughly 0.020-0.050" smaller then before. (Also 10-15 mins depending on the size of the shaft)
    -Remove from lathe and setup in banding lathe (lathe ment for welding on, 15-20mins)
    -Setup welder (5mins)
    -Preheat shaft with out burning the metal (30-45mins)
    -Weld shaft area (anywhere from 0.45-1.5hrs)
    -Remove from lathe (10mins)
    -Cover shaft to let cool extremely slow to keep the tensile strength proper (minimum a 24hrs)
    -Next day set back up in lathe and redial in (10-15mins)
    -Machine a 2" sections for a steady rest (10mins roughly)
    -Remove armature and flip around, dial in again to 0.0005" (10-15mins)
    -Setup steady rest (5mins)
    -Machine new centre hole for tail stock (10mins)
    -Remove steady rest and put in tail stock, redial in (15mins usually)
    -Machine shaft to 0.050" of original size.

So this is the problem, the atmosphere this motor runs in is very chemically, so naturally it gets pulled into the metal of the shaft and makes impurities thus when I weld if make holes. Holes are bed because its now a weak point and the amount of work this bitch does it'll snap easily.

So what happens when I weld and there is porosity in the weld I have to restart the process I explained above until there is no holes with in the weld.

The pics I'm posting is now my forth time cutting and welding, and well as you can see THERE is still holes... FML cuz usually after doing this this the impurities are gone and we have a clear shaft.

I still have to machine to proper size, along with snap ring groves and key... (2-5hrs)...

-first pic is the armature in the lathe
    -second pic is the tool machining the shaft
    -third pic cut shaft with weld
    -fourth is the journal weld cut
    -fifth is my weld close up
    -six picture, see the holes!?!? FML!! Omg!! So frustrating!

Attached Files:

19. practice makes perfect
    middy

20. [quote name='"MIDLIFE"']practice makes perfect
    middy[/quote]

LoL, well ill tell you I don't need the practise, the steel is just fucked, any impurities makes bubbles inside the weld like an Aero bar.