Let's Build a Nutrient Temperature Controller for $35!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Well... looks like I'll be building mine soon enough, then. Thanks!

I currently have my exhaust running 24/7 and my temps are just a little too low. I can use this to only kick on my exhaust when its needed which will also let my tent temps rise a bit. Woot!

2. Ya, mine is for air temperature regulation. As JJ points out, the plugs should be gfci if I was going to use it for liquid. I will be building several of these, for both purposes. Hopefully I can keep them separate!

3. Thanks man. Stumbled onto that 3 gang plate and a light bulb went off. I had to cut it with a box cutter to make it slightly wider, but that was no big deal (that's not what caused the emergency room trip, anyway!) :D

And thanks for the pointer about GFCI's. I will be building more of these and will make sure to use them when I need one for the reservoir.

4. Ya they work great and cheap as shit to make... lol
    Also I calibrated mine, because it was of like 0.2...

What I did was take a glass of ice water (more ice than water), put the probe in it, then adjusted the reading so it read 0...
    I think it's the F3 or F4, I can't remember now... :eek:

:wave:

5. Pics or it never happen

6. Right here.... Or just a few posts back from yours :confused_2:

Ya stoned MF'er... :D

:poke:

:bolt:

7. Dammit....haha...you are correct though, sorry to slow this thread down with my laziness

8. Here's mine. Thanks Jake!

CIMG4960.jpg

I've noticed that the thermometer is more sensitive than the one I'm using now at plant height. I'm hoping this becomes my chamber regulator!

Cheers! :bongin:

Attached Files:

9. Ya, I like them WAY better then CAP TMP, and even beats my $130 Sentinel UTC-1 :eek:

10. Does this unit handle 4 outlets 2 hot 2 cold...
    Def will be building one, out does anything I can find made for price...

11. The relay can handle 10a max....
    You can find the 15a controllers, but they are usually like $45-50.....

Then the number out outlets does not matter at all....
    You could have a 1000 of them as long as the wire that comes off the controller feeds no more then 10a/220v or 120v.. ;)

12. I layed the sensor wire on top of the tote.

I have mine set at 25 with a differential of 1.8. So the fan to cool the chamber comes on at 26.8 and shuts off at 25. The fan to warm the chamber comes on at 23.2 and shuts off at 25.

Right On! I'm diggin this thing! :smoking:

What I am happiest about is the mornings. Now the fan won't come on until it's needed. It used to come on at 6:00 with the lights, but it blew cold air on to cold plants. :hello:

13. If you need a relay that handles more power, just trigger a bigger one from the controller. Relays are much cheaper than adding another controller.

Breezy

14. Now you're in the price range that this DIY is not cost effective anymore...
    Might as well buy a controller by time you start adding in high amp relays...

:wave:

15. You can get a 10A relay for a couple of bucks.

16. They have 10a relays in them now....
    Why add more 10a relays :confused_2:

17. If you needed 20A for some reason, adding two 10A triggered off the one controller, would save you a few bucks. I found a 20A for around $4. The cheapest controller I have found is $14. Not getting on your design, just putting out options for expansion.

18. This controller FUCKING ROCKS! :hello::hello:

I've strung the sensor wire around the plant, and it's keeping my chamber temps rock solid with a 3.5 degree swing! :D

I can actually watch the temp fluctuate by tenths. It also means that I can fine tune the temps with the fan speed controller. :hello:

This thing fucking rocks! :gc_rocks:

19. Looks like I know what I might try doing while Im snowed in this weekend :D

20. I been trying to tell people... :D

And like Breezy points out, I guess you can add relays to increase the amps...
    But there is no reason really...

Because even a 1HP Chiller is only 8.0-8.5 amps... ;)