Led Grow Lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mokepot, Aug 25, 2006.

1. i found this small kit seams ok for a starter

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F9S1QHbOqU&fmt=18]YouTube - 24 LED GROW LIGHT KIT[/ame]

2. I bolded the part that is the greatest danger to cannabis as we know it. The feminized and ruderalis crossed (the so called 'autoflowering') strains are seriously polluting the gene pool when it comes to commercial seeds.

3. To whoever was posting about mixing cfls and leds: save your self a risky investment and just stick with the cfls for now.

To anyone thinking of going to leds: take a good long look around the grow journal section. There are advantages to Led grow lights (lower heat, usually thinner design, ect.) But there are disadvantages as well (plants stretching, bud fluffier, yeild is lower than other lights).

Also, you will see advertisers say that their 90w, 100w, 150w panels are comparable to 400w, 600w hid lights. Take this with a grain of salt, there still isn't conclusive evidence that a 90w panel from ANYONE is comparable to a 90w hps.

Bottom line is, your best friend is going to be a lot of research before you buy anything, DIY or pre-built.

4. New to these forums but I've been an active grower for years. I'm finally making the big switch to LEDs and I was happy to see such positive post about the systems. I do realize they are new to the grow scene but I believe jumping on board early and getting the kinks worked out will be a benefit as well as the fact that it alleviates the issues of heat and detection. I hope to be successful with this endeavor and will visit here as well as post how my grow goes in order to keep the good vibes about LEDs going! Wish me luck! LB

5. Nobody posted about the lanky stems !?

These are reaching for the light. IMHO you should tie them to pea sticks, say 6" with 2" below the soil, so they are supported. If you tie them near the bottom and top using either soft material strips or natural twine from the garden store they will be supported while they grow.
    They will naturally strengthen and straighten up, provided you get adequate light above and close to them. Then when they get to 8-9" just remove the sticks.

:smoke:

6. How far away is your lighting from the plants? You can always bend and stake.The auxin will stop growing vertical and stat filling in if you use voodoo, and some bush master to stop the elongate and fill the bottom with new growth.The voodoo is very expensive and so is the bush master but they will work great.What type of led are you using hopefully a t-5 6700 kelvin for veg.Here is the professional 300watt get the job done Led Grow Lighting web-site Home - USaveHydroponics .It is going to run you $695.00 out the door.It ways 19.2 lb.I use it along with a 90watt Tri-band 8:1:1 ration for full spectrum for the plants photosynthesis. Red 660nm highest peak,Blue 462nm, and orange star burst at 612nm great combo to distribute the correct (PAR) for the Led.If you have and questions give me a call lets get you rolling.I grow five crops a year 25 plants a piece in my 76x76x76 grow Mylar interior grow tent.Thanks Robert!

7. You get what you pay for, I would not go cheap if you do go with CFL. If you want something that last and you do not have to change bulbs then go with a good LED. Rumple, Irishboy and Mmmmick plus myself are doing grows with LED's. Cammies light seems to be doing a great job. Myself I would wait to see all of the outcomes of our journals before buying. Look at mine and you will see that I am also and have been growing with 6 to 4 1000w HPs. Here is my journal link.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/468073-led-testing.html

All I can say is dont go cheap, I think this is one reason why the LED's get a bad rap on here.

8. #28 reddertheeye, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
    I have searched extensively through Led grow journals on many sites including some Dutch ones and its the same old story, everybody gets real excited during the veg stage and then the boner goes limp at the weigh in.Ive seen sog, scrog and autoflower grows all fail to produce the goods or come anywhere close to matching hps or mh of a lower wattage never mind equivalent.It takes a small army of strap on not so silent fans to keep these overpriced lights cool too so not exactly stealth as they also claim,one particular Dutch company markets its own special nuits package for fuck sake,Grow light technology is big buissness and with that greedy quest for profit comes advertising which is about telling mugs exactly what they want to hear .It amazes me that people who would see through bullshit advertising in any other area are prepared to believe allsorts without proof when it comes to the weed buissness from lights to seeds.Id take 500watts of cfl over 1000 led any day but I could waste them both with a 400hps sog grow for a fraction of the oost,wake up people we are being had
    .I hear Jorge Cervantes is currently testing LEDS and will report his findings in the European softsecrets free mag which can be read online,When he or Ed Rosenthal or Shantibaba recomend them they will have arrived.Dont hold your breath.

9. Thanks for the reply. got sidetracked and for got you. Sorry, I would like for you to take a gander at my website to see if you have a need for the type of lighting your currently use. I use both have several pictures that has been taken for Christmas. My YouTube video "my crop" will show a small grow tent with Lavender, Grand Daddy Purps, and in a Grow Tent environment with Co2 Boost pushing them along. USaveHydroponics hydroman54!

10. i have seen some stupidly nice plants with great bud come from LEDs
    the physics makes sense if you look at the photosynthisis spectrum and LED output spectrum so it should be more efficient.
    and the plants should stretch less since the heat from the LEDs is at the back of the light not the front so they are 'cold' where your plant is, meaning you can put them practically against your plants making it better and stuff.

totally works, but its expensive now... making your own is no good, the decent LEDs are $2 / LED (if i remember correctly) so the companies arent really upselling much

the dude with the traffic lights... lol thats funny, but if you measure the power input to the system (no idea waht voltage they use on those things) then you know how powerful they are in comparison to other systems. :p Red isnt just red though so you will have to hope for the best. and i dont know if you need blue LEDs as well or if they are just for fun. I would just make a grow box with your traffic lights and see how they do :p I imagine its fine depending on the LEDs you could very well be hitting chlorophyll A and B with that light
    [​IMG]

11. #32 mrbob_58, Apr 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
    led is great ....for vegging only. i have tried using a led (90w ufo 70 red 20 blue) as my main source of light, the results were dissapointing. if you are going to use led you have to think in equil watts to a hps/mh. the light claims by the manufactures are just not true. I thought the same as you. Less power and heat would be ideal so i spent 400.00 bucks on my ufo. On tuesday this week i recieved my new 250w hps . i will still use the led for vegging as far as i am concerned they veg as well a mh bulb and the advantages of less heat are true. but they still burn up power at a pretty good rate.

12. :wave:growitled.com is where I bought my lights, They have some very good products I bought 2 1152 watt & 2 576 watt Lights I love them so far...:hello:
    Ol'Yippie

13. #34 catnipper, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010
    Yeah,
    I understand a lot of people question LED LIGHTs and wonder if they are even worth it, or wonder if they work. I don't know about the cheaper models...I would say they are limited and not as good as the improved version, that is sold by HTGsupply. it cost almost 200...but I just want to say that just one ufo can do wonders for a couple of plants....stealthy, cheap energy, and doesn't get hot.....Who ever says led doesn't work, don't know the future of lights yet.....AWESOME growth and health. Look at the LED lights for your household...they cost like 25 bucks for 2.....and they last even longer the energy saving flourescents. And they are 7 watts in comparison to 13 watt flourescent bulbs.....it is more efficient...simple as that...and yes...the good ones do work awesome

14. Untill the price of leds come down big time and they work out the flowering issues I would avoid them. I own one and still use it but if I could go back I never would have bought it. Stick with cfl or go to a good hps/mh system. Better results for half the money.

15. Maybe your right ..leds are the future... well with the experience I have with leds, that future is a long way away. they just dont live up to their hype. the only reason i am not using mh for vegging is heat. the led will do an acceptable job and i paid a foutune for it and i would like to get some of that back. but its useless for more than one plant at a time, it cost 400.00 to buy a 90 watt led and it burns near as much power as my 250 hps. my hps/mh cost 200.00. and at least this time I will get more than one dried ounce off a 5 foot plant. it's a waste of time to use leds for flower, they just dont work.

any one wanna buy a 90 w ufo

16. I've said it before and I'll say it again. LED's are great for vegetative growth but they suck for flowering. I don't care what system it is. Yes they might just be the future, but that future, as mr_bob pointed out, is a long way away.

17. htgsupply has apparently stopped selling the 90w gen3 ufo LED.