Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

using cannabis for alcohol problems help

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by monkeytrees, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Hi,
    This is serious. Please think and respond if you think at all you could contribute even if just to tell me where to look or share your story or use of cannabis. Also I know lsd can work too. That is someone else's project out there.
    I'm a grad student in psych and interested in doing a major project on cannabis use and alcohol cessation. How would you recommend I could get feedback from people on which strains are good the recovering alcoholic? What ingestion methods are preferred? For example I never smoked without drinking and at first used ingestion/butter to get my acclimated to thc without alcohol. Any insights appreciated.
    I would appreciate any advice as to who you think would be good to contact or whatever you think of. This is a serious research project which aims to help people. My goal is to develop a guide to the alcoholic who has never utilized marijuana.
    Thank you.

2. [quote name='"monkeytrees"']Hi,
    This is serious. Please think and respond if you think at all you could contribute even if just to tell me where to look or share your story or use of cannabis. Also I know lsd can work too. That is someone else's project out there.
    I'm a grad student in psych and interested in doing a major project on cannabis use and alcohol cessation. How would you recommend I could get feedback from people on which strains are good the recovering alcoholic? What ingestion methods are preferred? For example I never smoked without drinking and at first used ingestion/butter to get my acclimated to thc without alcohol. Any insights appreciated.
    I would appreciate any advice as to who you think would be good to contact or whatever you think of. This is a serious research project which aims to help people. My goal is to develop a guide to the alcoholic who has never utilized marijuana.
    Thank you.[/quote]

THIS!

I have had my fair share of alcohol issues, and could never be 100% comfortable with my drinking and how it made my emotions feel until I started using weed. It really makes it so I don't feel any urge to drink, always felt weed was the key for me!

3. yes cannabis is the only reason i dont drink anymore, i had terrible DT's and iv been sober from alcohol for like 2 years

4. dont mix the two that can get you pretty fucked up or mix the two if you wana get really fucked up but i could see it as a way to quit drinking, didnt work very well for Mr. Lahey tho [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpp7H_PucE[/ame]

5. Alcohol is a drug as well as weed. Trading booze for weed is nothing more than substituting one drug for another. It may be good for an initial period but the addicted person still has to break the addiction. The thing is there are drugs proven to help with alcohol withdrawal. Benzodiazepines are generally used for alcohol withdrawal with good success.
    My concern is that an alcoholic is an addict. Using a weed may result into dual addiction. Or possibly a trade in addictions. However I believe you will find that alcoholics will not trade booze for weed. Substituting weed especially in withdrawal will result in relapse.
    If you want to try to understand the alcoholic mind I suggest you start attending AA meetings keep you mouth shut and both ears open. I mean that in a nice way.

6. Yep, weed will not satisfy an alcoholic's urge to drink, but it can cut on the amount an alcoholic will consume considerably. I know because I've lived it for close to 20 years.
    A few facts: Cannabis doesn't help with alcohol withdrawals, it actually makes them worse.Cannabis can also lower the inhibitions of a reformed alcoholic and trigger a relapse. Naltrexone and benzodiazepines are the only 2 things besides sheer will power that actually helps an alcoholic get sober. Benzos are prescribed short term for the relief of tremors, and possible seizure in severe cases, while Naltrexone can be used long term for the cessation of cravings.

7. so you're saying that you'd rather an alcoholic be put on pharmaceutical crap like benzos than herb? craazy shit man

8. They are more effective at treating alcoholism. I'm not talking about someone who occasionally drinks too much, but actual alcoholics. You can go to any AA meeting and ask that question and 99% of alcoholics will agree. For most of us, cannabis in any amount will aggrevate and intensify W/d symptoms when trying to quit.

9. #9 YoSmokinMan, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
    ^That's right.

That is absolutely true for alcohol withdraw. You clearly lack an understanding of the subject.

Seizures from alcohol withdraw can kill you. You need to taper down or switch to something that binds to the same GABA receptors, such as benzos or barbs (much less common) and then taper. Benzos are very safe drugs even at high doses when not mixed with a narcotic or another gaba drug like alcohol.

Cannabinoids while great drugs will not do this.

10. As a grad student you must have had ample opportunity to familiarize yourself with the internet; I'm sorry to be snarky, but this is way to easy to find on page one of a Google search Cannabis as a Substitute for Alcohol (HTML) - doctordeluca.com. I hope you approach your studies and your eventual practice with a bit more forethought than this post.

11. I don't doubt the effectiveness of benzos as a few-time-use drug, but the potential for addiction is so much greater that I think it's risky business for people who have already proven themselves to have addictive personalities to use them

12. Yes, they must be used short term. When I quit drinking years ago, my W/Ds' peaked at around 4 days, and after that I stopped the valium. I never liked them anyway.

13. Smoking erb will not substitute for your alcohol cravings. It might help, but its not going to get rid of it. If anything, you will probably feel like you want to combine the two. If its really a problem i would seek professional help.

14. I think both sides could be right on this one. It is completely up to the individual. My own experience has been one of a 10 year alcoholic who went to two rehabs, not by choice but in trade for my last parole violations. I been off parole thanks to weed. Now weed did not stop me from drinking. I stopped over a year ago for medical reasons. I don't think bud will help anybody stop drinking but if you can stop yourself, weed is the better of the two addictions. My lifestyle is a lot calmer with with weed and I don't crave alcohol anymore. Don't seek professional help, help yourself to a bowl and think about your problems instead of drowning them with alcohol. And A.A. works for only one type of person. Only the same type of person that can help themselves.

15. I was an extremely heavy drinker for about 2 years. Definitely on the road to a real problem. After a night with an unmentionable that the beetles wrote a song about my urge to drink was gone.

To this day its been over a year since ive been "drunk" and before that last time it had been a few months without as well. The combination of using marijuana for recreation and for medicine has made going out than getting up the next day enjoyable as well as more money in my pocket