The Sangha Group (Official Buddhist Thread)

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Kramer, Sep 9, 2012.

That seems to be my problem too, too much thinking where none is needed. I'm learning to breathe instead of think when I have free time that isn't taken up by computer activity or something else. A lot of it has been helped with getting my sleep schedule on track, going to bed around midnight, waking up around 9-10. My main goal for this year is discipline, cease of anger, and mindfulness. I do not currently consider myself Buddhist because I don't want to disrespect the teachings by not putting forth committed practice of them, but I hope to learn the teachings better this year, practice them and by the end of this year, consider myself a person who walks the Buddhist path.

2. http://youtu.be/R1dcbMeygxc

I really liked this movie, I thought it belonged here.

3. Om shanti shanti shanti x108

4. heres a question.  what do you think the buddah would say about someone trying to kill you? do you defend yourself? do you let them kill you? doesnt the dali lama have body guards? so you should defend yourself right?  isnt that why shaolin monks made their own style of kung fu?

5. I actually live by Buddha's teachings, and study/teach karate for a living. If I was confronted by an aggressive individual, I would try to talk it out. Even if they swing at me, ill just move or block and advise them to stop. If the individual is persistent on hurting me, then I take action and defend myself. I see no problem, I am the one that experiences and lives. I want to continue my life, so Ill do what it takes.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Hello , hope everyone is doing well

7. ^Oooohhh snap! Sweet bump! :)

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly sweep into a town and take control. In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived - everyone except the Zen master.
    Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see for himself what kind of man this master was.
    When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which he was accustomed, the general burst into anger.
    "You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize you are standing before a man who could kill you without blinking an eye!"
    But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved.
    "And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are standing before a man who can be killed without blinking an eye?"

---

It would be very hard to not defend oneself from attack...

But it's very easy to not harm another being. ;)

But who cares what Ole Siddhartha has to say about anything?

WE are Buddha.

In other words, whatever happens happens... kill or be killed... everything is still one thing...

So, your question is rooted in duality (Samsara.) To truly be liberated from this realm of suffering is to not value your life over another, to not see things as right or wrong or good or bad... to just BE. :)

8. This thread used to be pretty active at some points. I miss that.

9. maybe it can make a comeback !

10. I just don't think we have that many active buddhists, or people who would really post, but maybe we do, who knows.

All the people who want to try bringing this thread back to life say, "I", or maybe say "no-I"? lol [​IMG]

11. This was my favorite thread of this subject type. I would enjoy its resurrection.

12. Zombie Buddha...

13. im not so much a buddhist but i value the teachings of Siddhārtha Gautama and dont think that what he says is impossible.

14. A student asked a Zen Master, "What are you doing today?"

The Master said, "Nothing."

"But you did that yesterday."

"Yeah, and I haven't finished yet."

• Like Like x 1