The Sangha Group (Official Buddhist Thread)

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Kramer, Sep 9, 2012.

1. #41 DDV, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    Once I get home, I close all of my blinds, light a stick of incense, and pack my chillum with charas - as an offering to every being that has and will guide me through my awakening. I sit in silence, with a rudkraksha bead mala in my hand and a mantra on the tip of my tongue, and begin the day’s meditations.

Today is day 5 of 40 days of mantra meditation!

...peaceful vibrations to everyone this beautiful afternoon... remember that a greater level of consciousness is upon us all... :)

:smoke:

2. Subbed. I was raised with zero beliefs instilled in me... Well except that I should be good so I can go to heaven. But that's the entire teaching. Lately I've been having a strong desire to know the truth. I keep coming back to thinking about Buddhism, but that's all I do is think about it. I love how peaceful and serene people who practice Buddhism seem to be and I want that. I will be reading more information about this.

3. I'm glad to hear it.

What I've realized to be the major difference between practicing Christianity and practicing Buddhism is massive:

In Buddhism, you have to put a lot of effort into practice, which is not something you can say very strongly and confidently about Christianity.

You really have to work on being mindful, compassionate, and determined in whatever you embark in.

If you can hone in discipline, you can change yourself.

4. That's what I need. I'm like the complete opposite of disciplined. I am getting older and need some inner peace.

5. #45 Fakir, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
    Last night i did some cross legged ( seated ) meditation for maybe half an hour before i laid down to sleep, chanting namo tasso chant, and kept doing it till i fell asleep and i did it with a tip i remember from ajahn Chah

he said, that he was once having trouble meditating, and asked a senior monk for help, the monk told Chah, to '' Drill at the dowel '' Ajahn chah didnt understand him untill later when he understood that the monk ment to work at how you are right now, if that makes sense?

what it made me do is when chanting, instead of trying to float away somewhere, i do my best to stay with everything and activily try and be mindfull of everything going on, physical pain,mental pain, '' greed '' for mental states, everything i can notice, letting it unfold instead of trying to '' mantra '' it away

metta :)

6. I'd like to see Western mentality die off in a few hundred years.

It will make it easier for everyone to understand selflessness.

7. #47 Fakir, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
    Ancient Buddha Carved From Meteorite
    [​IMG]

''German scientists have discovered an ancient Buddhist statue with extraterrestrial origin.

Depicting Vaisravana, the Buddhist god of wealth or war, the sculpture was carved from an ataxite, a rare class of iron meteorite with high contents of nickel.

"The statue was chiseled from an iron meteorite, from a fragment of the Chinga meteorite which crashed into the border areas between Mongolia and Siberia about 15.000 years ago," said Elmar Buchner of the University of Stuttgart. ''
    http://news.discovery.com/history/meteorite-buddha-120926.html
    Awesome :)

8. I saw that a day before you had posted that, Fakir.

Very interesting.

In personal news, I plan to attend the Tibetan group locally this Thursday.

Venerable Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche plans to make a visit in the middle of October.

I wish to meet him and listen to his words.

9. #49 TopDawgEnt, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
    As a Hindu, there is no religion that is more closer to perfection than Buddhism.

In my family, nobody says "Buddha", we always say "Buddha Bhagwan" (we dont say the A at the end of Buddha) which translates directly into Buddha God. We, and myself consider Buddha to be an incarnation of God.

10. #50 Kramer, Oct 1, 2012
    Hinduism is a bit of a curious religion to me.

Do you mean Vishnu's incarnation?

11. I've recently been looking into Hinduism but its so complicated haha.

12. #52 DDV, Oct 1, 2012
  13. Wow. I hadn't read that one.

It's crazy the times we are in right now.

14. [quote name='"Kramer"']

Hinduism is a bit of a curious religion to me.

Do you mean Vishnu's incarnation?[/quote]

Yes, although I can also see how that can be considered...belittling to Buddhists.

15. Not particularly.

We only have respect for the Teacher and the Dharma, we do not (should not, anyways) worship him.

All men, as I feel, can and eventually does ascend to Godhood, though it isn't a purely satisfying existence as people might think it would as they have their own problems and issues they must handle.

I find it amazing that men (and women) are capable of reaching such states of knowing and understanding.

I find it even more gratifying that we are able to liberate ourselves from these cyclic chains of existence, though.

Even the dreamer wants to wake. :)

16. Buddhism always seemed so chill to me lol interesting stuff.

17. On a somewhat related note, I had a dream recently where i was in a library, and Lord Ganesh was following me but I was scared. Eventually I got close and he raised his hand.. sorta like in this photo:

[​IMG]

And upon further research, I found that the hand gesture means "blesses and protects on spiritual path".

So.. I was blessed by lord ganesh? Maybe like he approved of the path I'm taking now? Its odd, because I wasn't at all looking into Hinduism at the time..

18. Things are all interconnected.

Have you figured out how close Hinduism and Buddhism are in their doctrines?

It shouldn't be surprising, since Siddhartha was raised in Nepal.

19. All religions are almost identical, just different characters in the stories