Do you have depression or anxiety?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Omega369, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Good luck man. Just remember to not base your happiness on these girls. Some people base their happiness on their supposed relationships with people and will never be truly happy

2. I smoke weed and take anxiety medicine and I still get nervous when I get out and public or have to be around people.

3. Seajaycj, i totally feel you. When i go out in public, i am constantly looking around and sometimes i shake or cant stand still and then i start to feel like everyone is looking at me and judging me like im on some form of bad drug. And it makes me feel a thousand times worse. Its like a big vicious cycle. Even when im real stoned or on kpin, i still have a difficult time making eye contact with people. The only person that i dont freak out with really is my mom. Shes a younger mother and she runs like ironmans and shit, so shes super youthful. And im thankful for that as sometimes ill be sittin in my apartment having a really bad time, ya know.. Not seen people in a week or more and shell call me out of the blue and invite me to play frisbee golf or do something active like that. Guess my point is, its nice to find that one person you feel safe with and do things with them. Almost like exposure therapy without the therapist influence. And even then. If you find the right person.. You can talk to them about anything. Another decent tip is to pick more.. Secluded activities. Bike rides, trail hikes, and zip lining are some of my favorites that you dont need to be too lucid to enjoy. Everytime i go out, im always really medicated so, its important to stay safe too.

4. I got prescribed some pills in high school for my anxiety. I never really took them because I didn't like the way they made me feel. I believe I have both anxiety and depression. I have days where I feel okay and can go on with my life and be some what productive. And then I have days where I just can't get out of bed. Most days I can manage to get up but not much gets done and I don't feel like socializing with anyone other than my roommates. And that's just cause I have to. I feel bad because I shut my family out unintentionally. I have little anxiety attacks.almost everyday. Sometimes they're bad enough to where I'm very aware but so stressed out I can't bring myself to smoke. I hate those. I get so frantic, I can't concentrate and I'm very irritable. The only thing that helps is weed, but in that state of mind I get so frustrated from not being able to focus that I get angry and don't smoke. Idk. I'm starting to think maybe the pills would help me a little more.

5. wake up alone and depressed, go to sleep alone and depressed. cycles every day

6. Yeah I have bad anxiety too. Drugs help me temporarily, but I found that breathing exercises help slow the racing mind

7. The cause of my depression is extreme boredom. These days they prescribe that as "ADHD" but who are "they" to diagnose attention span problems by handing out pills and asking you to return indefinitely for more? Doctors are not fit to have their jobs these days. Witch doctors could do better.

8. I may have acute anxiety, I lean a little bit more on the introversion spectrum, so I tend to overthink a lot and sometimes, it can be a hassle to quiet down your mind. Meditation is a great reliever though.

9. I've had both for the past 13 years. I've found that a small dose of effexor in the morning and smoking bud in the evening helps a lot.

10. I've always been a big thinker. Even when young, I would think about things that even my teachers would get suprised (didn't even do it on purpose, it would just come up in a coversation).
    I thought all people were like that and was amazed to discover otherwise.

When I reached a certain age, things started to feel more depressive/sad. I got many situations where I would be all day in bed, not getting to any conclusion about why the fuck was I like that if there was a life to be lived.

I've read through the comments and saw that not always it comes from overthinking, but the act of doing so under certain memories.. Try your best to put a smile on someone's face. It will usually bounce back to you..

11. ADHD is a made up disorder so they can sell you more pills.
    http://time.com/25370/doctor-adhd-does-not-exist/

12. We often look for things to rationalize why we feel a certain way. When somebody says they have "Bad Anxiety", they are putting themselves against what somebody who would normally have "Bad Anxiety" would do. But the funny idea behind it is that you and I are not telepathic, we cannot understand how another individual feels and thus, at the end of the day, we really don't have a comparison to make against our own anxiety. We can't look at somebody who is said to have "Bad Anxiety" and say "Yeah, i feel like that person does."

All "Bad Anxiety" is, is a forced set of values put against you. "You do this, this and this, thus i conclude you have bad anxiety." In reality, whether you actually have anxiety or not isn't as relevant as making a sale on whatever is going to be used to treat your anxiety. Actual treatment of anxiety rarely works because doctors still really don't understand what is anxiety in the first place. With that being said, all anxiety in the world could be related to the same thing, you choosing to have it.

Its a rationalization. It makes life easier to understand. You could look at yourself and be like "I can't do this because, well, really i just don't want to." which is a hard realization to come to, or you could just say "I can't do this because i have anxiety" which is a much easier realization to come to. It's like blaming somebody else because you tripped and scraped your knee.

Depression, sure. Anxiety? I don't know. Just because somebody is willing to sell you something to treat it does not mean you have it.

13. I had extreme depression and was close to suicide, had a friend attempt it and she ended up in hospital, they said she was just "crazy"
    But I use meditation and eat good and man i feel so much better, not depressed or any anxiety problems. I'm broke with money, but rich with love and knowledge, which is the ideal state of mind for the human consciousness. Try it, it will work.
    Cheers

14. I spend too much time to myself obsessing over my computer and have been doing so since I was a teenager in middle school. My lack of interaction with people outside my home gives me anxiety over how I'm ever going to get out and about and do things with my life, and I just avoid doing such things by playing more videogames/browsing the internet or whatnot. I wouldn't have given that a label but I had to go through 2 years of cognitive remediation therapy just to realize that there is nothing wrong with me, I just have no attention span whatsoever.

However, I do think there is a mass pandemic of people being obsessed with computer screens and how often we cling to them for support in the "real world."

15. That is how most people in our society act and yet they feel they should act differently, even though it is what the majority does with the majority of their free time.

At the end of the day, it just comes down to choices. Even your remark about attention span; you have no comparison to make against anyone else's attention span, so how can you so you don't have one? It doesn't make any sense. What does make sense is you saying that to justify a certain line of thinking and maybe that line of thinking makes the current life your living that much easier to continue with?

You make that perspective sound slightly tragic, but i think it would be more tragic to think that you have a high attention span, but your just telling yourself you don't and by doing so, you enable yourself to live easier. That is human nature. We are programmed to find the easiest path, take it and continue on. But that is kind of the funny thing about life, its all about denying these baser instincts like hunger, sex, anger, the things we are predisposed to having as animals, for things like delayed gratification, education, money, discipline and goals. We are animals pretending were not animals. Its a strange existence (Or is it?, since my existence is the only thing i have to compare to it)

Makes you think!

16. I have allergies, that's pretty depressing....

17. Yeah I get what you are saying. With my upbringing I've spent a lot of time to myself and when I can't solve a problem or find the right answer I just make up an excuse to ignore the underlying issue. Persistent avoidance is what I call it, where the antagonistic virtue i struggle with is procrastination. Not being able to manage my own time wisely I just sit in a chair and look at my life through a laptop like things are going to change on their own, when I know I need to be the prime mover to get things done. Putting things off for tomorrow is just so easy though... [​IMG]

18. You got a good head on your shoulder.

19. I have depression, anxiety, and OCD. Definitely a bit of a minfuck, I must say.

Weed helps a lot, but I also meditate and do yoga.

20. I have depression, anxiety and misophonia, along with psoriasis and severe hearing impairment. Smoking weed has really helped me.