Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to distinguish between trichomes and mold?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by StevenTyler77, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I know this sounds silly, but I am ever the hypochondriac and I keep thinking about the possibility that I might have smoked moldy weed a while ago, without even being aware of it. In my Eastern-European country, one rarely gets better quality weed, it's mostly high mids.

Now, when I got better stuff, I found myself unable to differentiate between trichomes and mold. The fact that the mids I've smoked so far didn't have any trichomes certainly didn't help...

I've looked at the weed with a magnifying glass, but I didn't know what to look for. It looked as if the whole bud was dipped in a white powder. Exposed to bright light, this powder looked a bit shiny. My guess was those were THC crystals. The tiny stems that were inside of the bud (when broken down) seemed to be covered in this fine powder too, almost like tiny white hairs. The whole plant matter seemed very dry, it broke down easily and I saw nothing floating in the air, instead the white powder remained firmly attached to it.

I mean, it didn't even look that white-ish at first glance. It's just that I had smoked it like a month and a half after getting it (it was kept in a zip-loc bag inside of a tin container) and I started to get worried and inspected it closely, only to worry even more...

So how obvious is it when weed is moldy? How easy is it to spot mold/mildew on weed? How easy is it to distinguish mold from trichomes? Now the damage is done, but I want to be better prepared for the future...

Is mold an issue that can be easily detected at first glance? Or is it something so subtle, that only a thorough examination can yield a definite answer? Should I inspect closely any new batch of weed or am I a hypochondriac?

2. You're gonna die man :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Just kidding, sounds exactly like trichomes. You'd know if it was mould.

4. If it looks like it could be drops of a sappy-like substance, it's trichs.

If it's a white mass (clumped together) then it's mold.

5. mold looks like white cotton candy, spider webs.

trichs look like, trichs.

6. Thanks for your quick replies.

"Trichs look like trichs" - well, that's my problem, precisely. I don't know how trichs look like, because I've never seen any before (yeah, I know, up until now I didn't have great quality weed, but so is life in Eastern Europe, different than in the US)...

After reading this, I am more inclined to think that it wasn't moldy...

7. Google "trichomes" and then get a magnifying glass?

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 StevenTyler77, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012

I've seen pictures of trichomes on-line, I just never saw real trichomes on my weed so far and it was rather strange to get this weed that was different from my usual stuff (it was better than anything I've smoked before, too).

I think I'm a hypochondriac and I probably made this thread in a moment of paranoia, although I was sober at the time (had I been stoned, I probably wouldn't have cared that much, I guess...) :)

9. Get yourself a cheap pocket microscope.
    As someone said - close up, mould looks like a webbed/darker substance.
    Trichs look like...hm...little enoki mushrooms made of glass that are either clear, white, or amber coloured.

10. What country are you from? First, I'd make sure it's not grit weed by rubbing the suspected trichs between your fingers. If it feels slightly sticky and not much else they're trichs, if it's kinda rough it could be glass etc.

But mold looks thick, and is typically not an even coverage. Trichs will be (mostly) evenly distributed all over the bud.

11. #11 StevenTyler77, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    I'm from Romania. It's a lovely country, but there are not many options for drug users. I can only dream about the vast array of psychoactives available to people in the West...

The plant matter was quite dry, so it didn't feel very sticky, but not rough either. I don't think it had glass in it. The more I read about it, the more I am convinced that the white stuff was trichomes. They were evenly spread on the surface of the bud...

12. Yeah they probably are just trichomes, if it's dry it's probably not mold.
    Romania seems sweet, I've always wanted to go on holiday around eastern Europe.

13. #13 mrxscarface, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
    Do you happen to have a camera that can take good macro photos? Turning down the exposure value a little bit, while adjusting the white balance will help you determine whether or not it's mold or trichomes. Trichomes, after turning down the EV, tend to take on an amber color instead of simply darkening.

Here are some macro photos, shot with a $200 point and shoot camera, with standard exposure value:

Trichomes with generally have bulbs at the end, if the quality is on par for that at least.

Above strain; non-macro photo.

Opaque and amber trichomes up close.

Above strain; non-macro photo.

If you have a camera that can take macro photos, it will be very helpful.

Unfortunately I don't have any personal examples, but mold, like stated above, has a spiderweb-like, powdery look to it.

Mold Example #1

Mold Example #2

Mold Example #3

Mold Macro Shot The macro shot is a little tricky, because opaque trichomes look somewhat similar. Mold has the smaller specs surrounding the clumps, with absolutely no visible stacks. If there are bulbous caps trichomes on the nugs, there should be a stalk of some short (even if it is short) under it. If they are capitate-sessile trichs (short stalks, possibly, not visible to the naked eye under the cap of the trich), than you'll need a macro camera to see the stalks.

If you can, get a microscope for marijuana, like a Kindscope. They're not illegal, and are technically just a 60x microscope with an LED light. If you can't purchase there in Romania, get a handheld magnifying glass (like those used for jewelry), and a small LED light instead.

Good luck. Smoking mold is a bad idea, and proper checking and storage of marijuana is always best. EDIT: However, smoking a small amount of mold on accident will not kill you. One of the few ways to die from smoking moldy weed is from invasive aspergillosis, which can only occur in people on immunosuppressive drugs. (Basically a perfect shit storm would have to happen, or you would have to have a very, VERY weak immune system to begin with).

The fact that you did not see any visible "dust" or particles when you broke up the nugs is a good sign. Also, nugs that shine at certain angles is a good sign. Mold does not shimmer in the light. If you can see bulbs, or even stalks (without bulbs) that are attached to the nug/leaf through the magnifying glass...you should be OK.

14. Took this picture from a recent thread about moldy weed, figured it might help.

[​IMG]

I tried to circle all the most obviously moldy parts in red. See how it kind of has a fuzzy, spiderweb sort of look in those spots?

Now look at the part where the blue arrow is pointing, on those leaves there. See how you can see all the different individual trichomes?

Like this;
    [​IMG]

Even with really high quality weed, you can still see the individual trichomes.

[​IMG]

15. Don't think too hard about it. I'm sure you've seen weed, and good weed will look normal.If anything looks a little too white ( concentrated white on a certain spot) take a sniff, or try getting a magnifying glass and take a look. If it's mold you'll be able to spot it.

16. is this post still alive ?

17. Only way to be sure is to smoke it and see if your lungs explode.

jah!/*d$*[​IMG]

18. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Grasscity Forum mobile app