PROBLEMS with the Pax by Ploom

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by moneycheeba, Aug 18, 2012.

1. #61 lwien, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
    Chief, what you said is NOT a bogus statement for YOU. But when you imply that it would be a great vape for EVERYONE if they learned how to use it, that is just not true simply because for many, including myself, it's not the portable that I would want. I don't want a portable that works on conduction and is constantly cooking my herb even when I'm not hitting it. To me, that doesn't make it a bad vape for everyone else, just not the right vape for me, as well as some others.

I hope I'm making sense here.

btw, just pulled this off of the FC site. Pretty nifty lookin' Pax if you're into carbon fiber:

[​IMG]

2. I'm with you on this one dude. It's funny that our two experiences are the same,as well as the many other pax users I've talked to. Perhaps we aren't a lazy fuckin stoner who lets their "tools" get all gummed up with resin and then asks WHY I can't get it to work. Some of the pictures I've seen that people posted are just sick. How can you let it get that dirty?with heavy use you'd expect to put some maintenance into anything. But I'm sure these are also people who change the bong water once a month. 5 minutes out of your day with a wire brush and you are good to go.. Go out and buy a pax. See how ripped you get. All the haters can miss out on this phenomenal product because they saw what a few idiots posted in some forums. I'm currently using mine right now,and guess what?Its clean as a whistle and I'm high as a motherfucker!

3. Yeah I'm not saying it's the best for everyone, but it does it's job rather well. It's a vaporizer and it vaporizes well. Someone might not like it but it has the same probability of getting them high.

4. Attitude? XD, not sure what you took issue with, I'm stating my opinion same as you. I don't wish you ill will, so no need to go there. Nobodys calling you out, no more than you're "calling me out". Its a forum. Were discussing vapes. No need to look into it more than that.

How can you not see that a vaporizer that fails to work if not constantly maintained is a downside? If it was true of all vapes that'd be different, but its not. Also, just do a search for pax. There's more threads with duds than there are people enjoying the pax. Its definitely not all cleansing issues. That's not true of any other decent vape.

Also, a bong doesn't stop working when you don't clean it thoroughly. And cleaning a bong is expected, unavoidable, and true of ALL bongs. The fact the pax releases so much residue and isn't equipped to handle it IS a downside. Plenty of vapes (most of them) find elegant ways around this.

Yep. A bunch of dumb people bought it, that MUST be it. They had a stupid people convention and collectively decided to buy the pax, and then post and complain. I'm glad you were able to spot this drawn out conspiracy, congrats.

Because your statement wasn't "its a functioning vaporizer". Nobodys doubting that. But you said VERY specifically that this vaporizer is worth EVERY cent for everyone, and that the people who disagree just must be stupid. That's the statement me and other blades might disagree with. We very much disagree that a vaporizer with a completely inferior heating method, that has more issues than any vape I've seen, and that requires more upkeep than any other vaporizer I've seen (on top of the fact its not completely safely cleaned by Iso) is somehow worth a whopping 250. Compared to other vapes in the same range, it offers no advantage and a multitude of disadvantages.

I'm glad you enjoy your pax, but your statement went beyond yourself, and that's where I disagreed. I think that was clear.

You actually said pretty specifically that. I'm glad you've come around though.

One more thing I disagree with though - it does absolutely not have the same probability of getting someone high. Its an absolute FACT that it has LOWER chance to get someone high than other vapes. Conduction is not as efficient as convection, as the heat can't access as much surface area, and on top of that the pax does vape when not in use. This means that even if you're getting high and are happy with your conservation, you are absolutely getting less actives than you would with other vapes.

5. You definitely did take an attitude...you sounded like a politician. It was funny, don't worry. I don't see why cleaning something to maintain it is such a task. It's like a five minute process after every bowl. Honestly, if someone wants to complain about that then they don't deserve a vape, or anything relying on cleanliness for that matter. Plus, not cleaning it only starts to show after being 3 weeks overdue. At least, that's what I've discovered on my pax. I haven't heard about any duds. And if there was a faulty oven I'm sure Pax would gladly replace it within a week. Especially when they first launched Pax...there's always bound to be some issues on new products but their customer service is great. When I said it was worth every cent I guess it was a figure of speech, but you doubting me is all opinion anyways; along with my statement. It's just arguing for the sake of arguing. It is extremely portable, convenient, and can hold a charge for up to 3 bowls. It doesn't take long to heat up and if someone knows how to draw right it will get them high. Just because the heating system isn't as efficient it doesn't mean it gets you less high; it just doesn't conserve bud as well. The Pax does get you high and still conserves bud pretty well. It might not be convection but it's a step up from most methods to consuming cannabis. It's worth 250 to me and probably anyone who owns a pax. It might not be worth 250 to you but your opinion doesn't really matter because you're gonna knit-pick your way to the high heavens either way.

6. If I had to spend 5 minutes to clean my vape after every bowl to keep my vape operating, I sure as hell would complain, and considering how many vapes I have had (see sig) and considering how long I have been vaping (over 5 years), to suggest that I don't deserve a vape is ludicrous, as is having to spend 5 minutes to clean my vape after every bowl. I've never had a vape where that had to be done to keep it operating at full potential.

7. Good thing you don't have to clean it after every bowl. Besides if your not cleaning your vapes often maybe you should. They get dirty just like other things, there's a lot of bacteria in the human mouth so especially if you are sharing it with other people.

8. this is true. you don't have to clean it after every bowl, i guess. but considering a bowl can last 1-3 days, it's not that absurd. Running a pipe cleaner through it is not a difficult task......unless you're a lazy stoner.

9. I clean mine every week not a big deal takes 5 minutes

10. Maybe people don't post threads when they love their Pax but when its a "dud" they post a thread because want help this make logical sense

11. :confused: 3 days??? What the fuck are you packing in there???

-Loki

12. i agree that it is not maintenance free, but you do not have to clean it after every bowl. Like to clean mine after every 10 bowls or so to keep it in top shape

13. haha, seriously I hear about people making one bowl last so long. Must be some serious easy bakes because I usually do 2 bowls a session, 1 will get me high but 2 gets me ripped.

14. My bowls last longer in my Pax. And I find I can tolerate the weed getting darker. In my MFLB, I find that the darker ABV is much less pleasant.

15. this is the best-written and carefully explained summary of all the problems i've also had...i've had the unit less than a month and had mouthpiece problems from the third day and also have a strange taste in my mouth for the site and customer service...i think that this could be a phenomenal product and figure they have some revisions and R & D to put in before it becomes all it COULD be...

16. I use  finely ground herb, packed tightly just below the oven line with a glass stirring tool that came with my ExtremeQ. The knob end of the glass stirring tool fits perfectly into the PAX oven for packing tightly. I have a Sharpstone hand crank grinder that does a great job for fine grinding. I keep my PAX on medium heat as the taste on high stinks a bit for me. DRY HERB will solve most of the sticky problems. Reading info on the PAX website will show how to lube it, keep iso away from the light in the mouthpiece chamber and changing temperature and checking the battery status. . I get as much from one PAX oven full as I do one bowl from my ExtremeQ, of course I stir both. Instead of a slow bong type inhale hit, I've found that sucking a mouthful of vapor in like from a cigar or cigarette gives me the most vapor from the PAX. I'm just a geezer with nothing better to do than marvel at this thing for the last three months or so. It's a lot of money but I recommend it.

17. This is a terrible product. I purchased a used Pax from a friend who didn't like it. I figured I would try it out. Well, neither of us could get the mouthpiece to extend. Apparently, the latch that releases it has gotten gummed up and there doesn't appear to be any way to access it. So, I returned it to my friend, who now has a very expensive piece of junk. The design is hopelessly flawed if a little residue makes this thing stop working. Looks like I'll be sticking to my Vaporgenie.

18. Bought a green one on eBay one week ago for $210 from a reputable seller and have experienced the following:
    \n-Charging: LED is inconsistent. When I first got it the light would turn blue when charging, eventually turning green after a while. Now the LED is unresponsive to being charged, mouthpiece in or out it doesn't react to being placed on the charger. As of today it was on the charger all night (~12hrs) and the LED was flashing blue when I woke up. When I try to turn it on it blinks red, as if the battery is low.
    \n-Heating: LED shows a mixture of steady blue and then blue/purple fading. With adequate battery life it has gone >6 minutes of heating without the LED turning green to indicate it's ready. All this while the oven is very hot and producing vapor. It seems like the sensor is not working at all.
    \n-Vaping: On the few occasions the light does turn green after 3-7 minutes of heating, it quickly goes to blue before a nice session can be had. I think this may be due to the sensor not properly detecting readiness and waiting too long, which cuts the vape-time down by a lot.
    \n-Mouthpiece: Very hard to get out, added lube and cleaned the whole unit so this is getting better. I compared the piece with a friend's PAX and there are subtle differences to the bevels, spacing and width of the male end of the mouthpiece.
    \n-Temp Setting: At first this worked and I could adjust the temp setting when the mouthpiece was removed. Now it does not react at all to the temp button being pressed.
    \n
    Needless to say this is really disappointing. My friend who has had one for a year and had a very positive experience is convinced it's a defective model. He helped me get past some of the idiosyncrasies of getting 'er up and running, but the issues above are still there. Planning to send it to Ploom today but wanted to get this on record and see if anyone else has seen these issues.