My bamboo and driftwood pipes

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by weta, Aug 6, 2012.

1. This is my first post on grasscity so hi everyone :D
    I really like making pipes. So much so that its become a bit of a hobby. I've given away lots to friends, but I still have quite a few which I took pictures of to remember in the future.

This is used to be my favorite pipe. I made it about 7 years ago and has held up well to plenty of use. The bamboo cone piece is scorched inside but not in a bad way. I made this one using a hacksaw a drill and sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

A few months ago I bought a dremel and started ripping out bamboo pipes. Some took as little time as it took to brew and drink a cup of tea.

here are a few in the order I made them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I scorched the bamboo with a blow torch to make them look like that.
    here a few more in the order I made them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Very nice man! How do you keep the inside from burning though?

4. I tried to post all the pics in a single post but it didn't work. Thats why I've posted this way..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one was the final all bamboo pipe I made. I felt like I was competent enough with the dremel to start making hardwood cone pieces. I use pohutukawa which is a very heavy, hard wood. I like to use driftwood as its well aged and has to durable.

This is the first wood coned pipe I made
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Might you be able to make one of those for a certain member of the city?

6. lol quick reply:D
    The inside does burn to a point which is why I started making wood cone pieces on my later pipes. The bamboo just goes black but doesn't catch on fire or get badly damaged.

A friend of a friend requested a crazy obnoxious pipe, so I made this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was about a foot long and needed a stand to rest in because of its curved shape. The stand doubles as an ash tray which I thought was pretty dope.

7. #7 weta, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
    Sure I'd rather they go to a good home than sit unused in a box:D I live in New Zealand though so postage could be difficult.

After I made that crazy pipe I quit making them for a while, but I started up again last week and made this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That one is going to be my new home pipe

I made this one as my take out pipe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It comes with a case that I made from a bit of bamboo and a cork :D

I'm going to make one last pipe then give it a rest for a bit. Here's the raw ingredients
    [​IMG]

8. #8 blackleaf28, Aug 6, 2012
    Youre really god damn cool

im doing this now

you should try making some crazy bubblers and bongs

for the bowls do you whittle them at all or just use the natural shape of the bamboo end section?

and howd you make the wooden bowls?

9. #9 weta, Aug 6, 2012
    Ta, I use to have a crazy bong that I made from bamboo and a coconut, but it started to leak and was impossible to clean.
    I'm planning on making a new bong out of glass with a bamboo veneer.

I use a dremel so shape the bowls. Some of them I went with the natural shape of the bamboo, but mostly I carve it down a more rounded shape. The wood takes a lot more work to carve, and I've taken a few chunks of thumb and fingers off in the process. I'm still very much a novice with the dremel.

10. Very nice! I love DIY and these are sweet!

I may try to make one. Where do you get your bamboo?

11. This is amazing, I'm working on my first homemade piece, trying to do everything with a hatchet and a combat knife (minus the inhale hole through the stem, just isn't feasible.) It'll make it worse as a pipe but damn it'll still be cool.