Finally Success w/ Qwiso Hash making!

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Jonathan Blaze, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Hey blades, first off I wanted to give some background. I've been fooling around w/ making Qwiso for the last year or so after I learned about the method on GC. i've had varying degrees of success, but never really came up with what i would consider "hash" - it was always more just like reclaimed kief. I would sprinkle it on top of bud and mix in w/ Jays and stuff, definitely good, but again not really what i consider hash. And it burned up way too quick.

Basically the methodology I used was to save all my stems and leaves from used pickup bud, any popcorn I might happen to have from my grow (rarely), and I always basically just relied on my grinder as the primary source of kief - just soaked in alcohol 91%, ran thru a coffee filter, into pyrex dish and allowed to evaporate, then scraped it up. It was always just like kief, very powdery and tough to work with.

A few times I experimented with evaporating the alcohol tincture in the pyrex dish on the over range on the lowest setting, and then moving to the freezer to cool before scraping. This yielded slightly better results, more oily/gooey but still kiefy. So finally today I discovered a method that produced what I believe to be actual hash, not just kief. lol. I will just list my steps starting from after the ISO wash:
    1) Pour contents of ISO wash through Coffee filter into pyrex baking dish
    2) place baking dish on oven range (on top of the thing that gets hot that you fry eggs on :) on lowest heat setting.
    3) Occasionally lightly blow across the top of the dish to disperse the layer of evaporated alcohol and speed up the process. After a while, you'll begin to see the liquid disappearing, leaving a crusty film behind.
    4) Once all the liquid has fully evaporated, leave the dish for another 30-60 seconds, then transfer immediately to the freezer
    5) After 30-60 mins remove dish from freezer and scrape the residue into a pile in the middle of the dish. Return the dish to the freezer for 15 mins.
    6) Use parchment paper (not wax paper) to create a cone (old childhood craft trick; cut a circle, cut a straight cut from outside the circle to the center, then twist the sliced circle so that it forms a cone), smaller cone if you have less kief, larger cone if you have more, try to gauge it to fill up the bottom 1/3 of the inverted cone. use Scotch tape on the outside "leaf" of the cone to hold it together
    7) Remove dish from freezer, scoop the kief from dish into the parchment paper cone, tapping the side to make sure all the stuff is settling to the bottom (tip) of the cone. If necessary, get another piece of parchment, wrap it around your pinky and use it to stuff the kief down into the bottom of the cone.
    8) Once all the kief has been transferred and concentrated in the bottom of the parchment cone, holding the cone upright, press it flat before your fingers. Then lay it down on a counter top and apply constant pressure over the section containing the kief for a good 2-5 minutes.
    9) Place the parchment paper cone in the freezer for 5 minutes.
    10) Remove parcel from freezer, cut the top of the cone or otherwise remove the scotch tape so you can slowly unravel the now folded flat cone. Once you get to the inside you should see a brownish layer of good pressed flat against teh parchment. starting at the thin, pointy side, roll it up into a tube, then a ball, or do whatever you want.

Enjoy! I can't wait to try it out. the consistency is that of a warm tootsie roll. Pic shows my "kief jar" which used to hold my Qwiso creations, compared to the actual hash I just pressed from basically the same kief.
    [​IMG]

2. Jonny Blazeeee...we meet again..

3. Couldn't you have just pressed it into hash?

• Like Like x 1

4. Thats what I did. lol. .... pressed what into hash?

5. [quote name='"Jonathan Blaze"']

Thats what I did. lol. .... pressed what into hash?[/quote]

The kief.

6. Pressing the kief gives your pressed kief. I don't want pressed kief. and like I said, I extraced the kief from my grinder using alcohol, i'm not talking about the kief in the catch chamber, I'm talking about all the little bits that get stuck in there and you can't scrape out. And I used fresh-cut bud...not sure how I would press the kief from that... lol

7. [quote name='"Jonathan Blaze"']

Pressing the kief gives your pressed kief. I don't want pressed kief. and like I said, I extraced the kief from my grinder using alcohol, i'm not talking about the kief in the catch chamber, I'm talking about all the little bits that get stuck in there and you can't scrape out. And I used fresh-cut bud...not sure how I would press the kief from that... lol[/quote]

Pressing the kief gives your pressed kief
    I agree with u here. I hAve people try to convince me on GC that pressed kief is hash.

8. haha, yea i think there is a lot of confusion, not just on GC either. Pressed kief is simply kief particles pressed together into a clump.

Making Qwiso involves dissolving kief/trichomes in alcohol and then evaporating off teh alcohol which leaves a CONCENTRATED residue of THC -- not kief. Whether this is turned into hash, oil, etc... it is far more concentrated than kief and has better combusting properties.

9. [quote name='"Jonathan Blaze"']

haha, yea i think there is a lot of confusion, not just on GC either. Pressed kief is simply kief particles pressed together into a clump.

Making Qwiso involves dissolving kief/trichomes in alcohol and then evaporating off teh alcohol which leaves a CONCENTRATED residue of THC -- not kief. Whether this is turned into hash, oil, etc... it is far more concentrated than kief and has better combusting properties.[/quote]

Holly shit some ones gets its. I need save this

10. What?? Do others truly not understand the simple facts of keif and iso hash? Jesus.. kill me now

11. You don't live in Africa, Asia or Europe, do you?
    So you don't really know what hash is.
    Well, I'm telling you, according to my personal experience, friends who visited more than once Morocco and renowned documentary films.

True KIEF is still used by elderly people fom Morocco, Tunisia and northern Sahara countries. It's mild hash, made by collecting and pressing the fallen pollen after shaking plants (sun-dried for several months, usually four or so).
    While HASH is pressed pollen from sun-dried (couple of months) plants, with slightly more plant material in it, due to the rougher making process: beat and screen (Morocco) or manipulation (e.g. India's manali charas).
    Thus, no significant differences at all!
    Sorry for your weird conjectures... :)

12. You're not actually extracting the trichomes temselves when doing an ISO extraction. The alcohol doesnt readily dissolve plant waxes (as much as butane) so its actually just extracting the oils inside the trichs. Thats why ISO'd buds look kiefy still, cause the wax husk is left behind.

:bongin: