Smoking Cotton can kill you

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by rain dancer, Jul 11, 2012.

1. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']Why don't you stop speculating, put a piece of cotton in your mflb, hold it for a certain amount of time and see if it vapes. Then again, you could get a microscope and see if there are any burns. Betcha there are!

Unless you can prove there are NO added chemicals used in the process, you're gambling.[/quote]

I'm not speculating o_O....and why does it have to be MFLB specific? I barely mentioned the MFLB. I even said that I wouldn't want to do it in a conduction vape....I'm not sure what you're arguing against.

100% organic cotton will not do a thing past 750 degrees. This is fact, same as the facts you posted. All the actives in cannabis can be reached around 400 degrees. Most people vaporize under 400.

So yes, it is absolutely safe to use in a vaporizer that you wont combust in. Combustion happens at 500 degrees, so as long as you aren't combusting the cannabis, you aren't anywhere near to combusting the cotton.

So yes, it is safe. Many long-term vaporists can attest to this, with several vaporizers. So far you've posted no proof that it would happen otherwise at safe vaporizing temperatures.

2. I'm not arguing, just kinda wonder why you are?:confused:

If you believe it's safe to vape cotton, Do it. No one's stopping you. I'm here to inform and you've been informed. My goal is achieved. I was only trying to provide a simple test. :wave:

Your lungs, not mine:smoke:

3. Just curious to why you think vaping cotton under 400 degrees is bad.

I'm all about information and very against misleading information.

If you have any evidence to back your claims and skepticism up, I would really love to hear it, as opposed to vague morbid posts. The things you posted are very clearly combustion, which happens at 750 degrees.

I'm only arguing because you seem bent on proving something that seems misleading. There's components in the arizer solo that are very bad for you past 600 degrees or so. Luckily these vapes don't reach those.

I very much agree that people shouldn't be doing stupid things like lighting cotton on fire, but you seem to be going back and forth. If you have reasons why vaping cotton covered with oil under under 400 is unsafe, please post them! We would love to know =]. Thanks.

4. When any vaporizer company backs your statement, you'll have my apologies. In fact, I think I'm going to write a few emails and see what comes of it. If I get a reply, I'll post it.

Your only source in this Thread is your opinion and your belief that others can attest to it, based on their vaporizing experience. You can point to the degrees all you want, that seems to be the only leg anyone is standing on with your argument. Think I'm going to put some cotton In my mflb and my vapor bros vaporizer and see if anything happens. Then I'll get out my 100x microscope and see if any strands of fiber reacted to heat. Then I'll soak it in oil and do the same, as I'm curious to what happens.

Also, the reason I focused primarily on the mflb is because that's the thread this all started in.

Also, found two sites that claim cotton ignites at 255 and 250c or 525k.
    T.C. Forensic: Article 10 - PHYSICAL CONSTANTS FOR INVESTIGATORS
    Wool Burns
    What's your source for 750?

5. Lol why would you ever smoke cotton

6. "Acrolein, also called propenal, is a toxic compound released with burning of wood, cotton, paper"

7. Also, if everyone could chime in on the max temp of your vaporizer, I'd really appreciate your input. Found mflb to be 380. Can anyone confirm this? Gonna eat dinner right now. :)

8. Yeah but his point isn't that we're burning, we're vaping! So it has to be different! Right?!

9. [quote name='"pokesmot247"']

When any vaporizer company backs your statement, you'll have my apologies. In fact, I think I'm going to write a few emails and see what comes of it. If I get a reply, I'll post it.

Your only source in this Thread is your opinion and your belief that others can attest to it, based on their vaporizing experience. You can point to the degrees all you want, that seems to be the only leg anyone is standing on with your argument. Think I'm going to put some cotton In my mflb and my vapor bros vaporizer and see if anything happens. Then I'll get out my 100x microscope and see if any strands of fiber reacted to heat. Then I'll soak it in oil and do the same, as I'm curious to what happens.

Also, the reason I focused primarily on the mflb is because that's the thread this all started in.

Also, found two sites that claim cotton ignites at 255 and 250c or 525k.
    T.C. Forensic: Article 10 - PHYSICAL CONSTANTS FOR INVESTIGATORS
    Wool Burns
    What's your source for 750?[/quote]

Why does a vaporizer company need to back up this statement? o.o, we aren't smart enough to look at ignition temperatures ourselves?

And of course the degrees is my argument - it's the only thing that seems to be your only sources...just some sort of "feeling" that cotton will somehow ignite or give off fumes at lower temperatures.

Please learn a bit more before posting random articles you quickly google searched. Those temperatures you are referring to are the temperatures at which cotton gives off heat AFTER being ignited.

What you need to be looking at is a pre-ignition temperature. Pre-ignition temperature is the temperature that Cotton needs to get to for it to ignite. That temperature is 765 degrees, and can be found pretty much anywhere, I'm sure you saw it with your google searches, hell its even on Wikipedia.

So no, in a vaporizer, it's very factual that cotton will be fine until 765 degrees. Not that you even need to get close, because your Cannabis will completely ignite at 500 degrees.

Look, I don't know why you're continuing, I obviously agree that setting fire to Cotton is bad, but using cotton as an oil transfer, or using it as a filter is safe, as it will never reach the temperatures it needs to. This is very much factual at this point....

10. dont you guys hate it when you put a packed bowl in your pocket and it always seems to flip and spill. Then when you pull the weed out its always completely covered in lint..

I smoke it anyway..