Whats the ideal pot size for growing outdoors ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by HighABDG, Jun 30, 2012.

1. what pot size is ideal for growing outdoors?

2. 200 gallons....

Really though, I can't answer that without knowing more about your grow and your goals. If you veg your plants for several weeks indoors before moving outdoors for the full season the anything from say 65 gallons up is ideal. If you are starting late in the season or have limited space, a 20 gallon is more than sufficient. I don't recommend using less than 10 gallons.

3. HUGE.. large hot tub sized "pots" could possibly yield ~5lbs.

4. It depends on what your trying to accomplish, people from cali will tell you to use 100-200 gal smart pots, they can only legally grow a limited number of plants so it makes sense that they go as big as possible. I would not want to grow 20 plants out deep in the woods using 100 gal smart pots because I would have to haul 2000 gallons of soil which is just not possible.

I use 30 gal smart pots, my guerilla plots get 7-8 hours of direct sun and I yeild about a pound per plant started april indoors and put out in may, I grow 12 plants in my 2 plots. Set yourself a goal, some people like to grow alot of smaller plants, some people like to grow a few larger plants, both have their ups and downs.

5. [quote name='"Boggieman"']It depends on what your trying to accomplish, people from cali will tell you to use 100-200 gal smart pots, they can only legally grow a limited number of plants so it makes sense that they go as big as possible. I would not want to grow 20 plants out deep in the woods using 100 gal smart pots because I would have to haul 2000 gallons of soil which is just not possible.

I use 30 gal smart pots, my guerilla plots get 7-8 hours of direct sun and I yeild about a pound per plant started april indoors and put out in may, I grow 12 plants in my 2 plots. Set yourself a goal, some people like to grow alot of smaller plants, some people like to grow a few larger plants, both have their ups and downs.[/quote]

If you're growing gorilla it would be best to bring in amendments and use the soil on sight IMO.

6. way easier to ammend and go in ground

7. [quote name='"lager88"']way easier to ammend and go in ground[/quote]

Even growing in my backyard I will probably just amend my current soil to use next year. No reason to replace it all.

8. I agree except I dont have this option because the land where I grow was once a junkyard, dig down 1 foot and you have bikes and all ssorts of shit in the ground, i dont trust it so I use pots.

9. [quote name='"Boggieman"']I agree except I dont have this option because the land where I grow was once a junkyard, dig down 1 foot and you have bikes and all ssorts of shit in the ground, i dont trust it so I use pots.[/quote]

That makes perfect sense. I had to dig out all kinds of filler (rock, glass, old towels, nylons, old dishes...you name it. I spent the last 3 or so years cleaning out my grow area and replacing the soil. NOW I'm finally to a point where I can start re-using my old soil and saving a little cash.

Whatever soil you use this year could be left on sight to re-amend next year.