Whats the ideal pot size for growing outdoors ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HighABDG, Jun 30, 2012.

1. [quote name='"CannaSmoke"']Dude this guy is just starting his growth ... If you plant early in feb/march then you can use bigger pots ..planting now you should be good with a 10 gallon....[/quote]

I started several plants lasts season this late last year and used 20 gallon pots. They all got around 5-6 ft tall and yielded about a QP each. Now on the other hand I also used a couple 5 gallon that barely yielded an ounce each under the same conditions. The root space really does make a difference. Starting this late in the year you can get away with 5-10 gallons, but 15-20 you will yield more without being wasteful. 10 gallons is a happy medium. I hate seeing people waste their time with anything less though. If you are using less than 10 gallons you are getting down to indoor yields.

2. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

I started several plants lasts season this late last year and used 20 gallon pots. They all got around 5-6 ft tall and yielded about a QP each. Now on the other hand I also used a couple 5 gallon that barely yielded an ounce each under the same conditions. The root space really does make a difference. Starting this late in the year you can get away with 5-10 gallons, but 15-20 you will yield more without being wasteful. 10 gallons is a happy medium. I hate seeing people waste their time with anything less though. If you are using less than 10 gallons you are getting down to indoor yields.[/quote]

I can grow a 5 ft plant with a 3 gallon pot and you couldn't with 20 gallon pot?

3. [quote name='"BYOweed"']

I can grow a 5 ft plant with a 3 gallon pot and you couldn't with 20 gallon pot?[/quote]

Of course I can grow a 5 ft plant in a 20 gallon! WTF are you talking about? Have you seen my grow? I'm done wasting my time with this thread.

4. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

Of course I can grow a 5 ft plant in a 20 gallon! WTF are you talking about? Have you seen my grow? I'm done wasting my time with this thread.[/quote]

hahaha chill dude, im trying to get you to explain to the op

5. As crazy was sayin'...

Root space is very important. The bigger the pot the bigger the yield, usually. But, I AM saying you shouldn't go with such a large container this late in the season.

And go smoke a j or something.. damn

6. #26 mjmama25, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    You may be new to this forum but I'm going to let you know now that your attitude isn't going to fly here. When a respected member of this community offers good advise, you don't tell them to take the stick out of their ass and call them crazy.

Now maybe you should go smoke a jay, learn some respect, and maybe read a few grow journals to learn a little bit about growing while you're at it.

7. #27 BYOweed, Jun 30, 2012
    [quote name='"mjmama25"']
    You may be new to this forum but I'm going to let you know now that your attitude isn't going to fly here. When a respected member of this community offers good advise, you don't tell them to take the stick out of their ass and call them crazy.

Now maybe you should go smoke a jay, learn some respect, and maybe read a few grow journals to learn a little bit about growing while your at it.[/quote]

It's a forum, chill. Seriously.

I can assure you I have nothing but respect. I swear a lot doesn't mean I disagree. Seems you were the first to take it so personally...

Anyway sorry for upsetting you this much over a thread, have a good day.

OP's like alrighty then... :laughing:

8. [quote name='"BYOweed"']

It's a forum, chill. Seriously.

I can assure you I have nothing but respect. I swear a lot doesn't mean I disagree. Seems you were the first to take it so personally...[/quote]

It may just be a forum to you. It's a second home and a way of life for me. The meds that I learned to grow here are what keep me alive and relatively healthy. I take that seriously.

9. #29 BYOweed, Jun 30, 2012
    [quote name='"mjmama25"']

It may just be a forum to you. It's a second home and a way of life for me. The meds that I learned to grow here are what keep me alive and relatively healthy. I take that seriously.[/quote]

Okay. I understand. I take my medication seriously as well. And I know this is 2nd home to me too.

Adhd, Ocd, depression/anxiety and a bad back. I think you could say I use my herb for medicinal purposes haha.

10. [quote name='"BYOweed"']

Okay. I understand. I take my medication seriously as well. And I know this is 2nd home to me too.

Adhd, Ocd, depression/anxiety and a bad back. I think you could say I use my herb for medicinal purposes haha.[/quote]

BYO thank you for the private apology you sent me. We will start fresh from here. :)

11. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

BYO thank you for the private apology you sent me. We will start fresh from here. :)[/quote]

Your quite welcome and good to hear :)

12. 3rd opinion.

Getting the hang of how to handle a plant that is not a monster would be easier, No?

Mjmama said something along the lines of "growing something that isn't going to get you the most quantity possible is ridiculous", and rightfully so. I've seen some of your posts/pics i think and pushing your personal envelope is where you are. The OP being in Absolute begginner though, people generally have a better experience learning things when they don't feel overwhelmed.

As far genuine helpful advice /shrug I have 0. Just bored and the thread tickled me just right

13. [quote name='"MIDLIFE"']read this on plant pot size

BBC Nature - 'Stunted' pot plants cannot reach full potential

middy[/quote]

That's great info. I've also read convincing evidence that small starter pots are more likely to turn out males and large pots are more likely to turn out females. It marks sense. In nature plants would have seeds randomly scattered. The plants that are in shallow rocky areas would naturally be male and allow the better soil areas to be the females. It gives the species a better chance of survival.

14. Woah this thread exploded into a useless argument... hahaha

Cant mess with the MAMMA her plants are monsters and she knows outdoors.
    You grow indoors so you know indoor growing. Nobody should be trying to prove
    the other wrong. Everyone has diff methods and they seem to work for her obviously.
    But Mamma I got a question. Im growing in a region where its illegal "highly illegal" and dont want nieghbors to fine out how could I manage my plant to stay under 3 feet. I got
    20 of them so I wouldnt mind getting what your 1 plant produces hahaha

15. http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-marijuana-growing/1069235-indica-sativa.html

Heres my thread if you dont mind joining us ... Im 3 weeks in since germing..

16. [quote name='"CannaSmoke"']Woah this thread exploded into a useless argument... hahaha

Cant mess with the MAMMA her plants are monsters and she knows outdoors.
    You grow indoors so you know indoor growing. Nobody should be trying to prove
    the other wrong. Everyone has diff methods and they seem to work for her obviously.
    But Mamma I got a question. Im growing in a region where its illegal "highly illegal" and dont want nieghbors to fine out how could I manage my plant to stay under 3 feet. I got
    20 of them so I wouldnt mind getting what your 1 plant produces hahaha[/quote]

Try an outdoor scrog. I got a metal screen from home depot that was less than $10 to put over my biggest plant. That way you can make a wide short plant and the screen offers tons of support. I am legal but still try to hide my grow because I'm right in town (near a school) and also have to worry about rippers. I set my scrog at 5 ft but you could easily go 2-3 ft tall and keep a short plant. I want to do this next year with the plants that are closest to my fence and the most likely to have buds ripped off if they get to tall.

17. HOW SOON SHOULD YOU START GROWING PLANTS FROM SEEDS IN TENNESSEE-MONTH?

18. I had a plant in a 5-gallon pot and it went root bound by mid-summer. I'm trying 10's this year. According to the pros at a local grow shop, they said that should be perfect.
    Hope this helps :)