Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How bad is aluminum foil to smoke out of?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by JAmadeus, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last week, my friend and I smoked out of a homemade bong with an aluminum foil bowl. Now, I'm reading online that inhaling burnt aluminum foil is incredibly bad for you.

I was just wondering, is one time enough to get permanent negative effects from the aluminum? This is the only time I remember that I've smoked out of aluminum, but all of these websites have got me paranoid that I'm gonna wake up with Alzheimer's disease any day now, even though it was just once.

So yeah, does anyone know how dangerous smoking with aluminum foil is?

2. Marijuana smoke or any type of smoke is not good for human lungs.

3. once or a few times wont harm you, just refrain from doing it as often as possible. Also, not 100 percent sure on this, im not sure a bic lighter has the temperature high enough to burn aluminium to the point a chemical reaction occurs and toxic gases are released, once again, not 100 percent sure on that last part.

4. You'll be fine dude, just don't do it again. Make sure to tell your friend not to do it either. Shit's bad.

5. Dude you should be fine. I did it when i first started smoking and that was like five years ago. Just dont do it that often. Vape is the way to go!

6. DerekCA, I realize that, but obviously not all smoke is equal in its impact on health, and marijuana isn't that much more dangerous than other organic materials when it comes to smoking it. Things like tobacco, on the other hand, are quite dangerous to smoke. I just want to check if aluminum foil is especially dangerous to smoke with.

7. Did you even read the thread? Jesus christ.

Anyways OP 1 time will not harm you, just don't do it again.

8. well ive heard that the fumes that come off of the aluminium cause alzheimer's but you would have to do it non stop for years to cause that imo, so its just bad, a cheap pipe is arround 5$ or a cheap bong, its alot better for you

9. your average lighter doesn't reach a high enough temperature for you to inhale the fumes of the foil, but nobody knows the longterm effects of using the foil for a bowl; you'll be fine , just don't do use that all the time, you can pick up pipes really cheap, at smoke shops, no need to use foil

10. I've ripped hundreds of bowls using al foil in the past before I heard about this, and I'm completely fine. But I also don't do it anymore they gots me paranoid.

11. Its the equivalent of smoking plastic. And then eating AIDS infested bloody tampons.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. For people who didn't know, not only is aluminum very cheap, manufactures also add a chemical lining to make it more reflective and more of an insulator, you're more likely smoking that then tin foil.

Hold up your tinfoil to a light and now hold your lighter on it for a while and if you'll probably see some fumes, even if you don't you don't need to see fumes to know that you're putting them in your lungs and body.

13. Parkinson disease and Alzheimer disease: environmental risk factors.
    Parkinson disease and Alzheimer disease: environm... [Neurologia. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"evidence also suggests that a higher risk of AD is associated with high aluminium intake through drinking water, excessive exposure to electromagnetic fields from electrical grids, DM and hyperinsulinaemia, obesity in middle age, excessive alcohol consumption and chronic anaemia."

Locomotor activity and learning and memory abilities in Alzheimer's disease induced by Aluminum in an acid environment in Zebrafish [Locomotor activity and learning and memory... [Dongwuxue Yanjiu. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"These results provide evidences that exposure to AlCl( 3) in an acid environment can influence locomotor activity and learning and memory abilities in zebrafish. In addition, exposure time and concentration of Al induced neurotoxicity and damaged the brain area of memory, resulting in Alzheimer's disease-like behavior."

Neurobehavioral toxic effects of perinatal oral exposure to aluminum on the developmental motor reflexes, learning, memory and brain neurotransmitters of mice offspring. Neurobehavioral toxic effects of per... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"oral exposure of the dams to 300 and 600mg/kg/day Al (aluminum chloride) resulted in significant and deleterious effects in the offspring inflicting a dose-dependent reduction in postnatal body weight gain, delays in opening of the eyes and appearance of body hair fuzz, and deficits in the sensory motor reflexes of the mice pups during weaning period (from the day of birth to postnatal day 21). During adolescent ages of the male offspring, a significant and dose-dependent deficit was also observed in their locomotor activity at postnatal day 22 (PD 22), learning capability (at PD 25), and cognitive behavior (at PD 30-36). Furthermore, a significant and dose-dependent disturbance in the levels of neurotransmitters like dopamine (DA) and serotonin (5-HT) was also observed in the forebrain region of the offspring at PD 7, PD 14, PD 21, PD 30, and PD 36."

Combined effect of HEDTA and selenium against aluminum induced oxidative stress in rat brain. Combined effect of HEDTA and selenium ... [J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"Aluminium (Al) is a potent neurotoxin and has together with other metals been suggested to be associated with Alzheimer's disease causality."

Aluminum is very slow to leave your body- it just stays there!

Aluminum disruption of calcium homeostasis and signal transduction resembles change that occurs in aging and Alzheimer's disease.

"Trace aluminum levels cross the blood-brain barrier and progressively accumulate in large pyramidal neurons of the hippocampus, cortex, and other brain regions vulnerable in Alzheimer's disease. More aluminum enters the brain than leaves, resulting in a net increase in intraneuronal aluminum with advancing age. Aluminum is responsible for two main types of toxic damage in cells. As a pro-oxidant, aluminum causes oxidative damage both on its own and in synergy with iron. Aluminum also competes with, and substitutes for, essential metals-primarily Mg2+, iron and Ca2+ ions-in or on proteins and their co-factors."

Little home experiment for you all- take a small piece of aluminum foil and hold it in a lighter flame for a minute or so. LOOK at the foil! It is thinner and more fragile because atoms of aluminum have floated away.

I wouldn't smoke out of aluminum!

Granny :wave:

14. Some will tell you that you'll get Alzheimer's but really a normal lighter doesn't burn at high enough temperatures to release all of those harmful fumes. I would still stay away from it and especially aluminum cans (since they contain harmful paints and plastic coatings that DO burn at lower temps and can harm you) because I'm sure foil decays after repeated use and the energy required to combust it lowers over time. Stick with glass or brass. Or wood..

15. Alright, so the consensus seems to be that aluminum foil is bad, but one time couldn't hurt? There's no aluminum permanently lodged in my brain or lungs now, is there?

By the way, thanks for the post Storm Crow/Granny, that's a lot of useful information you found. I don't have the scientific knowledge to understand a lot of it, but "Neurobehavorial toxic effects" sounds like bad stuff. I'm gonna make sure to avoid the aluminum from now on.

16. If you don't use aluminum for a long period of time, you're okay. When I was a noob smoker, I had to use aluminum for about 2 or 3 months. Nothing wrong with me now.

17. Get a bowl ya prick ;) haha just messing. But really

18. When I was younger I used to wrap a pen in tinfoil pulled the pen out and lifted one end up to make a bowl. Worked fine for me. I wouldn't recommend that as a daily driver though. :smoke:

19. Do not smoke out of aluminum Foil.It is really bad for you.Smoke from Glass or Metal.

20. >_< I wish i would have never smoked out of all the pop cans i did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.