What products do you use to increase bud size, aroma and density?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by deman81k, Jun 19, 2012.

1. I would love to hear from experienced growers that have been able to compare with other crops that the products were NOT used on and the differences experienced

2. I use CNS17. That's it.

If you're looking to complicate your grow with additives, have at it.

In my personal opinion, why over complicate something? A simple fertilizing system works fantastically, and the use of additives just takes time to mix and fuck up.

I've been trying REAL hard to fuck up a 1 part mix, but I just can't do it. All I do is bring my mix up to the desired E.C. and let my plants grow.

3. I am a huge proponent of simplicity (as obviously are you) and am not trying to complicate, just tweak what is a very successful system right now.

Currently I harvest an average 1.25 lbs per light of a real top notch and potent Afghan strain but the aroma could use a boost and any increase in yield would be a nice bonus. Adding a couple of additives in bud stage that achieve this seems like a good idea to me if it actually pays off

4. What are u using as base nutes?

5. You can only make a certain strain yield so much. If it doesn't smell, it probably won't no matter what you use on it.

It'd be like expecting a white guy to turn black, it's just not in the genetics.

6. lol that happens all the time here... white guys trying to turn black

• Like Like x 1
  7. on my next one i'm going to try
    veg or bloom nute depending on stage of grow
    carbs
    benies
    substituting the bloom nute for flower hardener near mid-end to end of bloom

8. I'm sure that works out well.

9. 6 part dry chemical recipe. Each dissolved in hot water separately, in varying amounts and in the proper order and added to the res one at a time. The growth is remarkable and I can pump the PPMs up to 1500 in the 2nd week of veg and up to 1800-2000 during bud with no bad effects.

I have just started adding a little Floralicious Plus to the mix in early veg stage and I like the initial results. The attached pic shows clones I transplanted and moved to one of my main rooms 2 weeks ago. I am about to turn lights to 12/12 in the next day or so

View attachment 907095

Attached Files:

10. #10 Private Stalk, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012

11. I completely agree with your regimen of "simplicity"; there are many people that will say that combining product X and product Y will get you "OMG!!!!" results, or whatever.

In reality, the main factors are sufficient light and sufficient nutrients for that amount of light.

I am not sure that there are any USEFUL products to increase bud potency. Now, that's very different than bud size...there are many products that will increase the weight/volume of your buds. Might be useful if you're growing commercially, but not if you're growing for personal use.

I've tried the "bloom boosters" before, which are mainly just P+K + secret ingredients (and really, how great can those secret ingredients be?) They do increase weight. They seem to actually decrease potency...possibly for a slight overall increase in total amount of cannabinoids.

So, maybe the "bloom boosters" are good if you're selling commercially. I haven't come across one yet, with my limited hobbyist skills, that does anything more than create heavier buds, but still with the same amount of THC/etc in them.

12. BTW, do you have any way to measure the uptake of these?

I'm completely of the mind that mixing each nute is the way to go, growing any large quantities...I only grow small personal quantities at the moment, so I can't really do that. :)

A GCMS assay of your reservoir or medium after each application, and adjusting each "ingredient" separately based on the uptake of each, would probably do more than any single separate product could. Of course, optimizing in that fashion is extremely expensive, if you're not growing in bulk and/or don't have access to the right super-expensive lab gear...

13. I've recently started a dry fert 2 part mix..JackPeters Pro 5-12-26 along with Calnitrate 15.5-0-0..Am going to see how it performs w/o so-called bloom boosters..
    The theory is(and it makes perfect sense to me), drop the CalcNit levels during bloom while keeping the Pro at the same levels or increase as needed..
    So far so good..We shall see!..

14. I just use the 3 part GH line with there liquid koolbloom and then dry koolbloom for a ripener. Not to complicated at all

15. The recipe has come to me from a commercial grower that says an old Dutch guy had designed and used for quite some time.

16. Besides AN, Grotek, Dyna, GH and a few more ... a lot LOVE & PATIENCE !

17. Plants dont know the difference in brand names