*Step by Step* Light Proof Mounting of an Axial/Box/PC Fan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rumpleforeskin, Jul 31, 2006.

1. very veryy niceeee

2. I was wondering this as well.

It seems like you would need a 3 inch grate for an 80mm fan, but NDS doesn't make 3 inch square ones. I wonder if a 4 inch grate would fit an 80mm?

3. picture shows an 80mm fan. according to google 80mm to inches is 3.15in.

I have 2 120mm fans that are soldered together in the same line on a 12v adapter from a wifi router. they are only running half speed I figure. Intended to upgrade this but will be upgrading my entire environment next grow so it'll do for the time.

4. Kind of coming in here late with questions but would a single bend like this one block all the light? I am kind of tight on space and if this could work it would be awesome.

5. As long as the bend is facing down

6. Also, What size adapter and elbow are those in the single bend version? That looks smaller than 4"

7. Dewalt drill, great choice.... also, this looks very handy thanks for the info!

8. excellent project

9. #89 ShyGuru32, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
    Many thanks for writing this guide!! I will admit I shamelessly copied your idea only slightly modified for my own use. Instead of the shower drain I used a white pvc toilet drain. I went with four inch piping and a four inch axial fan and everything bolted up perfectly with no drilling. You can find them in the plumbing section at any home depot or lowes. There isn't a grate on them like on yours but since you cut that out anyway that shouldn't much matter. There is a drain knockout plug that needs to be removed first. Its there to prevent things from falling down a toilet while you install it, but since thats not what we're using it for and it needs to be hammered out, I'd recommend removing it before you mount it. I used a second one as my through mount. I drilled the hole to the outside size of the nipple and screwed it to the back of the cabinet. A short stub of 4 inch pipe transitioned into the 90. I would imagine for a lower profile a 4 inch pulling 90 for electrical conduit would work very well, but at about $30 it isn't cheap. I also "borrowed" your cloner machine idea so I just felt the need to say THANK YOU!!