Paranoid about fire

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stripes, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Hi all, would be grateful for some advice here, this is my second grow but first time to grow in the attic as i need a bit more stealth, anyway i built a grow box ( small ) 32 cm x 32 cm x 34 cm and i only plan on one indica plant at a time and to lst.

I have two cfls two pc fans and an air supply coming from outside, I hooked a socket into the upstairs wiring loop and plug into that everything is protected with 5 amp fuses.

My question is should I be paranoid about the lights/ ballasts catching fire? They stay fairly cool with the fans, but because its in the attic if something were to happen i cant help but feel like i wouldent notice it before it was too late.

Anyone done anything like this before?

2. :wave: I was waiting to come home to a fire once I switched to HPS lights, so far no fire :D

I think most people worry about it at first but unless you are running with a messy setup (over loaded socketes and water everywhere) then you'll be fine :smoke:

3. Fires in grows are harder than you think. Sombody has to have a pree ghetto setup to get a fire!

4. Most fires due to growing are caused by big grows with sloppy wiring. As long as you didn't bypass your electric meter to the house and didn't have to run wiring you will be fine. if you still are worried you can by fire suppressant systems.

5. Thanks all for your input, what i did was the upstairs lighting loop, cut into that and ran about 1/4 meter cable from that and wired into a socket. And i plug into that socket with an extension cable protected with 5 amp fuse, just one plug for lights 5 amp fuse also a 12 v plug for fans, sound ok?

6. Woah... Personally I have NO iea what you just said but... hopefuly somone else will understand haha. But as i said.. your grow has to be jerry rigged to catch fire!

7. If your still paranoid get yourself a "Flame Defender" They cost about $40. Basically an automatic fire extinguisher that kicks on once it senses 150 deg. Pretty cheap fire insurance. In my opinion every grow room should have one/

8. @Todder That sounds like a billiant idea. But not for small grows. It would have to be a bit on the bigger scale. A small grow like a PC box wouldn't need one. But good idea!

9. [quote name='"todderfran"']If your still paranoid get yourself a "Flame Defender" They cost about $40. Basically an automatic fire extinguisher that kicks on once it senses 150 deg. Pretty cheap fire insurance. In my opinion every grow room should have one/[/quote]

Do you know anything about the types of fires these things can handle? I read somewhere that only their largest model was rated for electrical fires.

10. Cheers guys, it is wired very well with lots of safety protection, now after the posts you guys wrote makes me more confident, its ones if those things that you can doubt yourself on even though everything is done properly!

Flame defender sounds like a good idea didnt even know there was such a thing, anyway thanks all, happy growing and hopefully one day we will be able to grow in peace!

11. We allready are growing in peace. The government just trys so hard to ruin it. :p you should post pics of your grow.

12. From flame defender website:

[quote name='"Borophyl"']
    Class ABC: The ABC class is filled with monoammonium phosphate, a yellow powder that leaves a sticky residue that may cause damage to electrical appliances such as a computer or home entertainment equipment. But, the advantage here is that these dry chemical extinguishers leave a non-flammable substance on the extinguished material, reducing the likelihood of re-ignition –unlike the CO2 style extinguishers which just rob the fire of oxygen momentarily.

Class A: Extinguishers that are ready for a fire that breaks out in ordinary combustible materials such as paper, wood, cardboard and most plastics. The numerical rating on a Class A extinguisher indicates the amount of water it holds and the amount of fire it can then extinguish.

Class B: Extinguishers that can take on a fire that involves flammable or combustible liquids such as gasoline, kerosene, grease and oil. The numerical rating on Class A extinguishers indicates the approximate number of square feet of fire it can extinguish.

Class C: Extinguishers that can handle fires involving electrical equipment such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets. Water can NEVER be used to extinguish Class C fires – the risk of electrical shock is dangerously high! Class C extinguishers do not have a numerical rating and the Class C extinguishing agent is non-conductive.
    [/quote]

13. Classes, A & B (the inexpensive models) aren't rated for electrical fires.

14. here's some pics but promise not to laugh!!!

1st pic is the socket i wired into upstairs light loop.

Painted the inside white , the air duct goes to an air vent bringing in fresh air.
    Two fans , one in, one out.
    Ono block inside for odour.
    And I custom made the pot, and hoops you see are screwed on for LST.

Seeds are germinating as we speak.

Its small but Im sure Ill get something out of it!!!

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      153.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      251.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      233 KB
      Views:
  15. Nothing to laugh about here. Looks good. Question... how many plants are in that, tray?

16. None right now, germinating towel way at the minute but planning for one at a time but in the back of my mind I'm thinking mmmm... Maybe two would fit!! Ps thanks for your comments.

17. If you were to grow... anything. that tray would not work past a week or so... The roots would not go down and the plants would not grow tall and lush. I sugest Pots. ^_^

18. Mmm height is a problem so a pot just wont work , im hoping with a shallow tray but wide the roots will be forced to use the width of the tray, I'm planting " fast bud " and will switch to 12/12 as soon as i feel things are too cramped.

Im going to give it a go and if it doesn't work its a lesson learned.

19. It might be a lesson learned. That is a small space my friend... very small.

GOod luck!

20. Did you make sure your junction box (socket) is grounded? MUST be grounded to be safe...