400 watt pound grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Rbskttlz, Jun 5, 2012.

1. #1 Rbskttlz, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
    Okay, while this will be my first grow, i do have knowledge of growing marijuana due to you guys here at GC :wave:. With that said, i do still have a few questions. I am going to attempt a 400 watt grow inside a dresser that will be 3x3 and prolly 3-4 feet tall. I will be doing ScROG method of growing and would like to harvest a pound. I do understand that may be impossible, so my question is other than the basics needs (temp, co2, water, sunlight, nutes, etc...) what else will i need. I did plan on growing northern lights, for no reason really, just would like to try it.
    EDIT- I will be using the lucas formula for this grow.
    Questions:
    1. Is it possible to get close to a pound off a 400 watt HPS bulb inside a dresser with the dimensions stated above?
    2. Will cooling off this area be possible? And by cool i mean cool enough to have ample growing conditions?
    3. What is the best kind of bulb to use? HPS, HID, etc...
    4. Will 3 plants be enough to grow a pound given the above conditions?
    5. What size carbon filter should i use with this setup?
    6. Is there a better strain for this grow?
    THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCED FOR THE HELp
    *MODS- If this is in the wrong place, please move it :eek:

2. You would have to veg for at least 3-4 month under 400w with possible CFL supplement on lower branches. With massive root growth and months of veg you might reach a LB by the end of the season. You would literally have to throw every trick in the book at the grow to make that plant a beast. I wouldnt use less than 600w per LB

3. Let me ask this then. In a 4x4 Tent, could I do a sog with 16 plants and a 1000 watt lamp and get a pound from that? With auto flower strains? And if so, could I harvest every month?

4. #4 Shiva Blaster, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012
    You are looking at this all wrong. Dont focus on yield for your first grow, or you will likely be disappointed. Focus on learning everything you can, and growing healthy plants and let the yield take care of itself.......a pound off of a 400 is very close to 1 g/watt, which they say is perfection. Many experienced growers never reach this kind of yield. Attempting to do so on your first grow is a little presumptuous IMO. You would need many cycles of the same strain to max out the potential of the strain, grow space, nutes, etc. As a first time grower, just be happy if you get any amount of awesome smoke at the end of your first run.

5. WE DONT LIKE CASH_CROPPERS! lol they grow bullshit weed for money. Weed requires the patience and care of a gentle mother or father.

4x4 1000w 16 plants SOG you better get at least a LB, if not, your doing something wrong... each plant has to yeild at least 2oz per plant X 16 = 32oz (12oz=LB)

6. I agree. This has "I wanna make a quick buck written all over it". Most of us are here to become self-suffiecient and avoid giving our hard earned money to cach-croppers for shitty product. If you are growing for yourself as a hobby, fine......if you are growing to try and make money by selling (which is a great way to get busted btw), then take a walk.

7. I've seen numerous growers pull a pound under a 400w hps. Genetics and a solid environment are the key.

plant numbers only affect your veg time imo...you could do a single plant and pull a pound...or you could do 50 clones and pull a pound. A single plant would take like a month or 2 of veg (from clone) and running (say) 50 clones would require zero veg time. In a 3x3 area I'd run 9 plants, giving each one a square foot of canopy each.

NL is supposed to be a very high yielding strain if you get the right pheno...give it a try and see how she yields for you.

I'd run at least 6" inline fan connected to a 6", preferably 'long' filter. Also get a fan controller to dial in your airflow and temps. Run smartpots of coco or some bubblebuckets or a simple RDWC system.....personally Id go with smartpots of coco set up with drippers or blumats. I'd also set everything on a nice drain tray so that you can water to runoff each time and not worry about salt buildups.

...and F all the haters. Do your thing.

8. A 4 inch fan connected to a 4 inch carbon is enuf for that size ;) u can buy co2 tablets or make ur own using yeast and sugar :). Yer just practice growing so i would buy sum cheap seeds .

9. [quote name='"Rbskttlz"']Let me ask this then. In a 4x4 Tent, could I do a sog with 16 plants and a 1000 watt lamp and get a pound from that? With auto flower strains? And if so, could I harvest every month?[/quote]

I have a 5x5 and I fit 10 in 5 gal buckets and pull a lb each harvest with a 600 watt. So I don't know how u could fit 16 in there with a decent size pots. Look at a perpetual harvest. Flower 5 plants wait a month put 5 more in harvest the next month replace those plants with 5 more and now u will harvest 5 plays every month.

10. Even with some autos you would have to use small pots to keep them small. I hvae 7 autos that fill out a 55" x 55" tent. Autos dont always stay tiny.

11. #11 RO76, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
    If I would be you I would just go with 600w HID in 4x4x6 grow space and grow in RDWC using scrog and top the plants on the 2nd week and 3rd week during veg period . Vege them for 30 days ( no need for more ) and then switch to flowering . And you have a grate chance of pulling 1lb . Growing conditions and skill will play a role in the final outcome . With 400w it would require better skill and practically perfect grow conditions . If you have no skill it is not a problem , just go trough different ( successful ) grow journals and simply copy the entire set up and follow exact steps and ask questions . One more thing , growing in soil is more complicated than to grow in some hydro set ups , correcting mistakes in soil require better skill than correcting mistakes in hydro , but hydro grow will definatly going to cost you more ( for instance good hand held meter can run you about $100....) And the last thing do not grow autos because they produce way less than normal plants because average grow time for autos 60-70 days from seed to harvest and normal plant takes about 100 days to grow (as result they grow bigger and produce more . Information of RDWC you can find online . Info how to make 4 bucket RDWC system you can find in stickies in DYI section .

12. Hi Rbskttlz,
    Gotta stick my two bits in here. Regardless of the amount you've read on GC your first grow is quite possibly going to be problematic. My first grow was & I read & studied for a year before I popped my first seed, everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Learn to grow first & worry about the poundage later.
    Cheers:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. [quote name='"Bongsauce"']I've seen numerous growers pull a pound under a 400w hps. Genetics and a solid environment are the key.

plant numbers only affect your veg time imo...you could do a single plant and pull a pound...or you could do 50 clones and pull a pound. A single plant would take like a month or 2 of veg (from clone) and running (say) 50 clones would require zero veg time. In a 3x3 area I'd run 9 plants, giving each one a square foot of canopy each.

NL is supposed to be a very high yielding strain if you get the right pheno...give it a try and see how she yields for you.

I'd run at least 6" inline fan connected to a 6", preferably 'long' filter. Also get a fan controller to dial in your airflow and temps. Run smartpots of coco or some bubblebuckets or a simple RDWC system.....personally Id go with smartpots of coco set up with drippers or blumats. I'd also set everything on a nice drain tray so that you can water to runoff each time and not worry about salt buildups.

...and F all the haters. Do your thing.[/quote]

Your the best bongsauce:)

14. we all had to start somewhere...unfortunately no one was there to help me along the way ;)

15. #15 morebang4urbuck, Jun 6, 2012
    :eek: Sadly, it seems like a lot of people on this site like to talk with their foot in their mouth. That said, i would like to congratulate you for setting a great goal that will take two or three 'practice' or as i call them dialing in grows. Don't expect a pound the first time, that's just not gonna happen buddy. You can however look forward to at least 150 grams if you indeed know the basics. I would like to tell you that i have never grown in anything as short as you are suggesting and i don't think cramming a hot light in that short of an area with a large number of plants is a good idea. The key to growing a lb with 4 to 6 plants is not veg time but rather pruning and topping to achieve a uniform canopy. I also would not suggest soil but rather a dwc do it yourself system. The plants will grow much faster and I think that its easier to yield big with hydro assuming you don't stress the plants too much. here is the link to a similar setup i am running right now that i think you can learn from. Since i have already run this strain twice before i am confident that this will yield around 300 grams which is not perfect but it's some dank ass bud also so you don't need as much.
    Just don't set absurd goals and always assume less rather than more because then you'll always feel like you've done a great job. :p:p:p

http://forum.grasscity.com/micro-grows/1053360-sensi-star-2ft-x-4ft-400watt-grow-tent.html#post14764138

16. #16 Rbskttlz, Jun 6, 2012
    Wow how tall would you say those plants are? And I know I'm expecting a lot out of my first grow. Maybe I shoul lower my standards on my first run. So I'f you had used a 600 watt hps could You have grow plants the size of the y shapes plants (no joke intended lol) could You hve grown 9 plants and obtained a pound off that? My apologies I'm not asking you to walk me through my grow.

17. Just grow don't worry about the end result. It is what it is. U can do evey thing right and still fuck something up that can ruin a whole grow. To many factors just grow and be happy with what u get

18. When you grow many plants in the same space VS only few plants amount of green goodness per plant will be different . There is technique call SOG when grower put as many plants inside the grow space and harvest as result each plant will not produce much but compensation will come from the total amount of plants ( usually in SOG) people harvest top cola ( I hope that is the right word ). When you grow fewer plants in the same space they will grow bigger and as result will produce more per plant than SOG.... My personal view on it - Less plants fewer problems , more plants possibly more problems and as result more time spend to work on those problems .

19. Yeah I prolly will end up going 3x3 with 9 plants. Sog- one plant per square foot. Right?

20. I use a 400 watt fill spec LED,6 plants vegged 4 months in 5 gal fabric pots. I produce almost exactly 1 pound dried and cured every 2 months. I have been running a perpetual grow of 30 total plants for the last 1 year. Your expectation is very reasonable considering previous experience,but I doubt you will hit your mark. Considerable time, effort and tinkering will be necessary to achieve these results. I have found that to do this is to run a near perfect enviroment,feed program,ipm program, care and maintenance program and a keen eye. This almost ideal requirements takes time to develop into a meaningful fruit baring life style,that is required to achieve these results. Anyone and everyone can do it but you must be prepared. I ahree with wiser commenters when they tell you that your approaching it all wrong. You should focus on observing and quality,everything else is a byproduce of these 2 things.If I had known what it would require,I may have not chosen to continue. Im glad I did, I learned about myself and I learned what "success" really is....Its a trade, but damn.......I wish you all the luck my friend