What do you use to light deprive your greenhouse panda film or tarps?

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by DrGr33nThumb215, Jun 2, 2012.

1. I am going to be starting to light deprive my greenhouse this week and I am setting everything up this week now my greenhouse is 16ft x16ft and 10ft tall, I don't know if I should use tarps or panda film, if I use tarps do they have to be black? or will brown or blue work, and with a tarp should I use 6mil or 10mil my greennhouse plastic is 6mil if that helps. I was speaking with my cousin today and he told me that he uses panda film to light deprive his greenhouse but he only has to cover one side and the roof because it is a lean-to and now I know panda film is only 4mil is this enough to successfully block out the light and light deprive the crop.

What do you use to light deprive your greenhouse panda film or tarps? Panda film will be about 80 bucks taps will run atleast 100.

2. Hey man Im sure that the panda film would work. But I would trust the tarps more. I mean their alot more heavy duty. Also they will last alot longer than the panda film will.

As far as thickness goes I would go with the 10 mill atleast and I dont think that color would change things to much. But just to be safe I would go with the darkest one that you can find. Better to be safe than sorry!

Happy smokin and growin!

Also JW why are you starting flowering so early in the season. For most of us outdoor just started up in april... I guess it depends on your location but dang seems super early to me.

3. I have been doing some research and talking with people I know and I am going to go with (2) really large 10mil brown tarps and I am going to have two pieces of rope on each one so they will be very easy to pull end to end then tie down, I was thinking of using panda film but it is not very durable like you said and tears very easy, I think I would be better off to shell out the additional money for actual tarps because I would spend just as much in the long run replacing damaged panda film. so 10 mil brown tarps it is!!!:hello::smoke:

I have been vegging my plants indoors for almost a month now, and I am starting to flower first week of June, so I can run 60 day light deprivation cycles and have a finished crop august 1st, so when everyone's plants outdoors are just starting to flower I will have P's during the middle of the drought and they will be extremely high quality medical grade greenhouse buds that will be worth top$$$ and in the mean time I will be vegging clones indoors under 1000 watts for the final summer harvest the end of October early November. Also less risk of bugs mold rippers thieves cops etc because plants do not have as long of a life cycle 90 day max verse a whole 6-7 month annual summer crop, I can have perpetual greenhouse year round light deprivation greenhouse with sea of green technique is where the yield and time is maximized to its full potential

Thanks for the help greatly appreciated :smoke::D

4. Well very sweet man, Sounds like your going to have a very successfull year! Smart Idea though. I think some time down the future Im going to have to get into a multi summer harvest grow like this!:hello:

5. it's the future man my cousin, crops out 5 times a year and stays with fresh top shelf meds all year round, he just cuts clones from each cycle and vegs them for two months from the day they are cloned and it's pretty easy, and it's really quality and the yield pooh's on indoor, plus no power bill!!!!! outdoor crops every 60 days count me in and a break from the end of December till march sounds lovely to me!!! I am going to try and crop out august 7th, then 1st week of October and then a final cropout in the middle of December and then take Feb and January off. and I am hoping for 15-20 units a harvest so should be pretty decent season. Hopefully I can make it happen!!!!with a larger greenhouse it would be lovely, I am going to be moving into a 25x40x12 along with maintaining my 16x16x10 in November so I really want to get this dialed in before I take that project on,:D:smoke:

6. [quote name='"DrGr33nThumb215"']it's the future man my cousin, crops out 5 times a year and stays with fresh top shelf meds all year round, he just cuts clones from each cycle and vegs them for two months from the day they are cloned and it's pretty easy, and it's really quality and the yield pooh's on indoor, plus no power bill!!!!! outdoor crops every 60 days count me in and a break from the end of December till march sounds lovely to me!!! I am going to try and crop out august 7th, then 1st week of October and then a final cropout in the middle of December and then take Feb and January off. and I am hoping for 15-20 units a harvest so should be pretty decent season. Hopefully I can make it happen!!!!with a larger greenhouse it would be lovely, I am going to be moving into a 25x40x12 along with maintaining my 16x16x10 in November so I really want to get this dialed in before I take that project on,:D:smoke:[/quote]

Is the light/sun during the winter months really enough for top shelf smoke? I imagine the low light would be a problem and would lead to loose buds

7. From my experience with my green house the light is not really an issue, it will slow u down for sure but u are flower so it's ok. What presents a problem at least for me in my area is the temp inside the green house. My green house stays about 10-15 degrees warmer than outside, but when the out side is 25 at nite ur plants metabolism slows to a crawl if anything. What I would suggest is that u look up greenhouse heaters, they are designed with hi humidity and being outdoors in mind. Or u can go with a gas/kerosene heater, but I don't like the idea of having "controlled fire" ft away from my crop. Another thing to remember is that in the sealed Winter green house there are low levels of CO 2, so a few CO2 bags or some other method of CO2 is a good idea. But the light not really a problem unless u start a new crop in December then ull want to extend the light period artificially. Aka like string of flood lights hanging from the roof. Good luck, stay up!

8. My current greenhouse used o be used for orchids so I actually have a massive heater in it that isn't in use. I think I am going to give this a shot

9. light deprive? Do you mean light proof??? If i was trying to deprive light, id turn the lights off hehehehehe

but... im not sure about a tent, im using a shed... anywhere light leaked, i sealed shut with Great Stuff, then i coated the entire shed in panda papes. Works like a charm lol

10. [quote name='"SIRSOG"']light deprive? Do you mean light proof??? If i was trying to deprive light, id turn the lights off hehehehehe

but... im not sure about a tent, im using a shed... anywhere light leaked, i sealed shut with Great Stuff, then i coated the entire shed in panda papes. Works like a charm lol[/quote]

Deprive, that's exactly what we want to do, turn of the lights :p .... But because the sun can't just be turned off you induce flowering by covering the greenhouse and put them to bed so to speak

11. Looks like i am not the only one thinking about this...i got a 10ply black out sheet from the greenhouse place, its 1/2 white and 1/2 black...my greenhouse is 50' x 30' x 16 '...so i got a 50' x 100 '...I am going to start July 15 to get a Sept 15 harvest...I dont know what time i am going to cover yet? Can you guys tell me what you think? If i cover at 6pm and then take the cover off when it get's dark, i can keep the air flow going at night? But worry about the heat from 6pm to 9pm? Or i can cover at 9pm leave the cover on all night, and take off at 9am, run a small cage fan under the cover to keep air flow, or put in a dehumidafier?..I am worried about air flow when its covered and all sealed up?

12. lol when i think of deprivation i think of giving less than the desired amount, not keeping light out when it shouldnt be there.

Seeing as to deprive, is to give less than needed hahahaha

13. i use panda plastic, soon ill be using far red light to put my plants to sleep:] no more tarping! thats the real future! light dep tree is the fucking best! my june harvest was rock solid! and whygarden, yes taking it off at night would be optimum for air flow, i learned this the hard way. or dehumidify, maybe try 7 to 7 if it gets to hot? or you dont want to wake up and untarp? mine never seemed to get to warm, but im coastal, and i ran that schedule in june with out ant problems, glad your on here cause i saw your last thread got locked,

14. search phytochrome and far red light on wikipidia , even when tarping it will take up to two hours for your plants to sleep, under far red light, this happens instantly, and because its the length of night that makes a plant flower and not day time, you are then able to run interesting cycles like 14-10, anyone want to venture to guess what 14 hours of mid july sun will to to some beautiful organic buds?

15. 6 mill black plastic cheap and ddurable over lap if u covering more then 10 feet at a time worked great.

16. [quote name='"SKOre"']6 mill black plastic cheap and ddurable over lap if u covering more then 10 feet at a time worked great.[/quote]

You talking about inside the chamber? Cause black is going to absorb light where as white will reflect and keep the light level inside the chamber higher

If you meant the outside then yea hahah

17. lol i meant the outside ..just for dark time period..its a fast fix :)

18. I have seen a light depo crop that my cousin produced last winter of some bubba kush and Odyssey and last year we had a bad winter lots of rain and during his 60 day cycle it rained 30-35 and his crop was still fire, the plants were not as big as his summer or spring light depo but he still produced packs and they were very quality. He was heating his greenhouse by exhausting the hot air from his indoor grow (4) 1000 watts with 8 inch ducting directly into the greenhouse it was about 40-50 degrees and his greenhouse was around 65-70 so not to bad I plan on doing something like that in the winter because my 10x20x10 indoor room is 5 feet from my greenhouse. So something like that would be perfect for me since I will be running (6)1000 watts in there

If I were you I would try to flower around July 1st or sooner your pushing it cropping out Sept 15th by the time you do that dry it cure it its almost the 1st of October and people growing pure indicas are going to be cropping out and driving the price down a bit.

In my experience I perfect to cover at 7pm and open at 7am, my plants really take off in that intense morning sunlight and around 6-9pm the sunlight starts to decrease. I had some 95+ degree days and when covering as long as you have one or two fans moving air inside the greenhouse it will be fine of if you use an inline fan to exhaust the greenhouse. In doing greenhouse light depo you need proper ventilation!!!!

I ran my light depo using panda film, I induced flowering by running 36 hour dark photoperiod and that instantly triggered flowering!!!! here are some pictures before I flowered some pictures at week 7 and some pictures of my finished product.

Day Before I light depped them
    [​IMG]

Blue Widow @ 8 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blue Widow Trimmed & Cured
    [​IMG]

Blue Dream @ 4 weeks
    [​IMG]

Blue Dream @ 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

Greenhouse @ 7 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. that blue widow is a weird strain it turns a really weird green color when your cure it in jar and dry it but its some amazing smoke grade A++