Quick How to Graft Cannabis

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by wannabejdm, May 29, 2012.

1. I just had this same idea today of keeping a multi-strain mother. I had noticed people mentioning grafting their cannabis plants but it sounded pointless until i thought of this. I like to have a variety of strains to choose from, and if this would preserve the strain without making any difference in the clones, I would definitely try it.

2. I can think of 1 reason, I can grow 12 plants legally so a mother to make clones from with 2 or 3 strains to pick from would mean 2 or 3 more plants under my flower light and I still keep a few favorites for next time.;) never say never.

3. It's been 7 months now, does anyone have a successful graft to show? I'm not talking about a cutting taped to a rootstock, If anyone has had success they should show their actively growing grafts a couple of months after grafting. It seems like these ideas are short lived and not too productive.

PW

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGhWLaTopL4]Urban Grower Talks About Grafting Cannabis Plants - YouTube[/ame] Might be useful for you guys

5. Grafting isn't going to give you more or bigger anything, even using a stock that has a larger root mass wont matter. You are limited by the genetics found in the clone, and since grafting doesn't alter the genetics at all nothing should change with the plant.

I found mixing sativa's and indicas more problematic then anything, I suggest sticking to similar gene pools such as a kush graft.

No pictures because I got bored with this already, flowered, and was annoyed at the growth rates.

SIP's is where it's at if your looking to DIY yourself something worth it.

6. The main benefit of 'GRAFTING' I would say is the ability of having multiples strains in 'ONE' plant. Is absolutely true what the blade above me said about the genetics. It won't alter nothing. Hence my enthusiasm with 'GRAFTING'. I have done it. Search here Grasscity under my posts and you should find my pictures about the successful 'GRAFT' I did with Pineapple Express as RootMother and WhiteWidow insert. I kept her, in order to make clones.. However; two months ago I did harvest her.

I would recommend to anyone learn how to 'GRAFT' in order to have multiple clones of different strains. In addition this the 'BEST' technique to keep a 'LOW' count in 'MOTHER' plants.

HTH

ZS

7. The wine industry just got turned on it's head on this, the end result of a large scale experiment up in Anderson valley came up with the following results. There is 20 acres of Pinot that was replanted (due to phyllox)with the same clone on 5 different rootstocks, 3 rows at a time, in other words every 15 rows has all 5 rootstocks in it. This eliminates the potential for slight changes in topography(hills, proximity to water, tilt of the hillside) and climate from effecting the results. There is absolutely no difference in the plants now 25 years later, rootstock didn't effect anything.

Now what rootstock can do is be resistant to certain bugs. Phyllox (the wine root louse/aphid) over the years evolved into the pot growers root aphids, mostly because every year the vineyard growers grew pot in fields where phyllox was present. Most of it was going into jug wine back in the 60's, pot helped pay the mortgage. Back in the 1600's the discovery of the Concord grape literally saved the wine industry in Europe as it's rootstock is virtually immune to phyllox which was ravaging the countrysides in europe. Neem meal, Spinosad/bt combo and crab meal can accomplish the same thing, just much much easier.

Grafting onto rootstock will never change the quality of your harvest, the size of your plants or any such thing.

8. Great read, thanks guys.

9. I have some black domina, an girl scout cookie purp been really tempted too should I?

10. Grafting would be a waste of time , it would only decrease your yeild increase the time it took and change nothing. Like an apple tree with a orange branch crafted to it, you still have either apples or oranges not and orange apple. Try forcing male flowers on one, then pollenate the other with it, you'll get a all female mix of the genes.

11. Be interested in results of grafting a stocky Indica to a deep rooted sativa rootstock. obviously wouldn't change her characteristics, but with all that food?!

12. Im wondering about grafting smaller clones in veg to large flowering stalks and then vegging them .

13. I would think this would be good for people with limited room to flower, especially if you are scrog'n. One plant with 3 or 4 different types of weed could be sweet. Getting 4 different strains from one plant at a time would be cool instead of only getting one type per harvest.