The Basic Bean Thread

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by CL4P-TP, May 28, 2012.

1. They'll be fine. Been in the same boat myself.

2. Thanx for the wisdom

3. [quote name="CL4P-TP" post="14754769" timestamp="1338213705"]Everything you wanted to know about seedsSETTING SEEDSI could type out a couple paragraphs but a member did it in one.. so I'll just borrow from him I'm not too big on leaving a plastic bag over a branch for a week .. so 3-4 days is sufficient in my experience .also it should be noted that by only seeding one or two branches, You'll not ruin your sensimilla crop :)STORING SEEDSSeeds are best kept : airtight, between the temps of 34 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit ( your fridge works exceedingly well), with some sort of wicking agent. Desiccant packages ( those little "salt packs" you find in shoes and pill bottles to keep em dry ) or rice kernels work well IME.I have seen lots of growers say to keep seeds in the freezer. The same rules apply as keeping em in the fridge. Get em airtight and add something that can wick away moisture should it accumulate. ( personally, I've had bad luck with freezers and seeds, so I stick to the fridge)now feel free to ask any questions .. but please remember this is not a breeding thread per say, it is the thread for growers who simply want to keep their genetics alive, so question accordingly please.WharfPS ..Yes, I'll/We'll answer the basic breeding questions, but let's keep this thread simple. TYIA[/quote]Thanks bro you just saved me tons of reading

4. [quote name="superjoint" post="4769" date="985431480"]The only cow in a small town in Poland stopped giving milk. The people did some research and found that they could buy a cow from Moscow for 2,000 rubles, or one from Minsk for 1,000 rubles. Being frugal, they bought the cow from Minsk. The cow was wonderful. It produced lots of milk all the time, and the people were amazed and very happy. They decided to acquire a bull to mate with the cow and produce more cows like it. Then they would never have to worry about the milk supply again. They bought a bull and put it in the pasture with their beloved cow. However, whenever the bull came close to the cow, the cow would move away. No matter what approach the bull tried, the cow would move away from the bull and he could not succeed in his quest. The people were very upset and decided to ask the rabbi, who was very wise, what to do. They told the rabbi what was happening. "Whenever the bull approaches our cow, she moves away. If he approaches from the back, she moves forward. When he approaches her from the front, she backs off. An approach from the side and she just walks away to the other side." The rabbi thought about this for a minute and asked, "Did you buy this cow from Minsk?" The people were dumbfounded, since they had never mentioned where they had gotten the cow. "You are truly a wise rabbi," they said. "How did you know we got the cow from Minsk?" The rabbi answered sadly, "My wife is from Minsk."[/quote]By the way how far along should the males be?

• Like Like x 1
  5. When two existing strains are crossed, do you list the male or female first? eg - Dinafem's Powerkush is listed as "Afghani x Skunk #1" so is the Afghani the male or female?

• Like Like x 1
  6. wow need to get back into my own thread....

are you talking about indoors? if so then a separate room is a best idea.

outdoors , depends on plant size & wind directions.

if most of your prevailing are form one direction , place the Male downwind. this is not 100 % but its a good idea.

also the size of the plant will dictate how much pollen there is, by how much "sail space" the wind has to capture pollen. and on the same note the higher up ( altitude) the more likely you'll have dispersion.

for example ,, I keep my males outdoors in the summer on the NE side of the house. most of my prevailing winds are from the South-SW, and my crop is also on the SW corner of the lot. ( there is about 3/4 of an acre between em ). I've been getting maybe a dozen unwanted seeds per year out of 15+count, 6ft+ high plants.

also I keep the males bonsai style in 2 gallon smart pots, so they rarely get above 18 inches tall.

hope this helps.

female x male

ie Qrazy Train = Female Trainwreck x Male Querkle

FTR Power Kush is Dinafems name for super skunk ...... Super Skunk being S#1 crossed to Afghan.

the SK#1 is a heavy sativa from the PAc Nor west, that was taken to Holland a crossed with afghan to "stabilize" it for indoors. it was one of the first actual stable cash cropper strains out there. enjoy.

7. In my limited experience, I have found that males will continue to pump out pollen sacks for a good 3-4 weeks after the first ones appear. Once the sacks start turning a light green to yellow color, they start to open if left to do on their own. I put my boys outside to let them go and I just collect the pollen and freeze it if I don't have any girls ready at the time. I recently harvested seeds from a plant that was only pollenated on two lower buds. The rest of the plant turned out great and this is what I got in seed from just a few small dabs of pollen.

20131222_152418.jpg

I started counting and almost blew my high while doing so, so I just said screw it...
    20131222_152305_resized.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. ^^derp...^^

TY

9. Did I say something wrong? If so...my mistake...I guess?

10. I have a couple different strains(female) that i wanted to cross with a og Kush or candy Kush male n see what the bud was like but this seems like a very long processThe High Life

11. no no no .. :unsure:

you did good.. :smoke:  :metal: 

My ass just needs glasses it seem lately. :cry: :bolt: ( or maybe iv'e developed stoned sightedness..)

I answered as if he had asked "how far away"..not "how far along".. as was asked, and you responded correctly too.

was merely acknowledging my mistake and your response.  that's all :bongin:  if we still had rep I would of hit ya with some. :yay:

12. #52 CL4P-TP, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
    full cross, choice, & then stabilization can be a bitch, but making your own F1s is easy IMNSHO.

It only takes as long as your girls are in flower if you prep for it, and not much of that really.

13. Okay its cool. I was just wondering if you saw something that I might have done wrong on my first seed run. I learned pretty much everything for getting it done from this thread! hahaha

14. I have an afghan male from my 1st (ultimately failed) grow and would like to store some pollen to impregnate some bagseed i aquired on holiday in france. As the seeds are currently still germinating what would be the best method to store the pollen for the next 6-8 weeks? Thankee-sai

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Been a long time and in that time I've not bought a single female seed nor have I tried to hermi my girls or seed any thing I have and I mean really have simply keep my favorite cloning (lemon skunk) with the exception of the white widow I germinated this week they were 5 years lod though I should use them got 3 of 5 to germinate with that I'll keep an eye on them and clone her for a while and hope that her breeders did not use any feminized girls So I may have learned a little keep it pure is keeping it simple

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. i'm growing some hindu kush bagseed and it's turning out reeeally nice, a lot better than i expected. i have a clone that has rooted and has almost trippled its size and is growing vigorously now (only about 6inches tall tho so far). i've never done this, but if i spray colloidal silver and put it to 12/12 it'll make female pollen sacs. if i let that clone self pollinate, will i have made feminized seeds that are a copy of that pheno? i have this idea of making a tiny seed plant out of it and having that strain for later runs. please correct me if i'm misunderstanding anything

17. Ok so I've always used bag seeds, just recently had 5 out 6 turn out males. So was thinking about trying to make some femmed seeds. So is it basically just use some CS to hermie a female and those seeds will all be feminized or do I have to use the hermie to pollenate my other girls.
    Example : take my bag seeds, hermie one of the girls and put it in or with my other plants. I'm honestly kinda confused here. Maybe I'm over thinking it. I don't care about the phenos not being able to reproduce or anything just wanna experiment with cross breeding. Maybe in a coulee years get serious and try to breed the next big thing. Lol not im Just a hobbiest look to grow my own and have fun too.

18. The easiest explanation I've heard is this: pollen produced from a female plant will produce feminized seeds (most of the time. Most 'how to grow' articles say "90% feminized," but they always go on to say that in their experience it's more like 99% feminized seeds.) Anyway, the important thing to remember is that the pollen from a female plant produces female seeds, so (for example) if you dosed a #1 Skunk with CS and got pollen from it, you could use that pollen on a GG female to produce #1 Skunk/GG hybrid seeds.

It's unusual that so many of your plants came up male! I think cannabis plants generally produce females 60% or 65% of the time.

19. What you do with the male after you get the pollen? Is it best practice to keep revegging the same male plant and get pollen as needed, or just take a clone and kill it when the jobs done?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Grasscity Forum mobile app