Any vegans out there???

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by SnorkChris420, May 22, 2012.

1. Cooked vegan is super easy and super delicious. You should be able to maintain that easily honestly

2. One of these days there is going to be a vegan/vegetarian thread that doesn't get overrun with idiotic comments from the carnivore crowd who just HAVE to tell us that we're doing something wrong.

3. I really do not understand posts like these, why take the time to purposely bring down another user? What's the point? Do you guys get your jollies thinking all higher and mightier than Vegans or Vegetarians?

I've been Lacto/Ovo vegetarian for 24 years. I've seen a lot of cool advances in food technology now, and my diet is for compassion reasons, I don't like killing things to eat them. It's a foreign concept to me to be honest. When I was 18 I just finally got disgusted enough with chicken, fish and red-meat that I basically said enough. It's MY freaking choice, and NO ONE is going to tell me otherwise.

So all you people thinking that you're getting one over on us, you're not. You make yourself look extremely silly and ignorant when you come into a thread about Vegetarians or Vegans and spout off your stupid nonsense. I guarantee you that even the worst vegetarian is more informed about their diet than you could possibly be.

One of these days I'm tempted to abuse my mod power and start a Vegetarian Appreciation thread and then I'll infract or ban anyone who starts talking about how our diet is stupid or extolling the virtues of eating veal (which is about the most disgusting thing you could do to a living creature).
    OK maybe not ban/infract, but I sure as hell would delete any derogatory comments.

Yeah, I basically don't bring it up unless we're eating something. My fucking mother still doesn't understand - to this day whenever we're eating together even she makes some snide comment or pretends that she doesn't know how to cook a fucking Boca Burger or a Tofurkey Sausage.

4. Live and let live. Both sides are equally correct, vegans can be just as healthy/unhealthy as those with less dietary restrictions.

5. I hear that's why some people go onto fruitarian diets, because you don't have to kill a plant either. Fruit/seeds/nuts are basically the only food that requires no killing to consume and many plants drop the fruit for you. Not saying that anyone should go full on fruitarian, just an observation. But I guess some people only value animal life and not plant life as much.

6. My Uncle (who is now a vegetable himself...) was a practicing Jain towards the end of his lucid life...they believe in causing no harm to ANY living thing, plant or animal. In India where Jainism comes from you will see practicing Jains sweep up after themselves in order to cause no harm.

Personally I think that's a bit too extreme, and believe me, insects are not part of my no killing creed, there has to be limits. I also refuse to give up dairy and eggs for personal reasons.

BUT I do not denigrate those who eat meat either. IN fact, I LIVE with two non-Vegetarians whom I'm related to, and they seem to accept my choices with no problems. I mean my wife doesn't eat a ton of meat (though she enjoys Bacon to no end) and my daughter isn't really old enough to make her own food choices (plus just getting her to eat anything is a plus).

7. Meat in proper portions isn't terrible, it's just whether or not you care about the animals or mainly. That and the fact that you don't need to eat meat in order to get plenty of the same nutrients. Personally I eat meat, not often, maybe 3 times a week. salmon and chicken no red meat, and I always purchase free range. I cut out dairy, gluten, refined sugars and all processed foods though, and only cook with coconut oil if I do cook.

8. #48 Runningw235, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012

All of those posts were on topic and some were intended to be humorous, whether or not you agree that it's funny.

Nobody said "vegans are dumb'' or "vegans are just silly hippies".

You don't really take it that seriously do you? Nobody was disrespectful to anyone else, that I saw anyway.

Ill admit, my post was pretty crude humor, but it's the internet. I wasn't disrespecting anyone's beliefs or practices.

Edit: Remember, were discussing what people eat. This isn't a civil rights discussion.

9. #49 Ugyatag, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
    I'm not, but my girlfriend is, and so I've been eating mostly vegan. I'm still not sold on it, especially because I find that meat fills me up for longer, which is especially important if I'm gonna be on my feet for >6 hours. But I've just about cut dairy out and I eat a lot less eggs now too, and I've definitely lost a little weight and feel good.

If you do go vegan, make sure you get your B12 as I'm sure people have already suggested. Nutritional yeast ftw. And make sure you're not just aiming for quantity of protein, but a diversity of sources too. Sorry to preach, just be cognizant of your nutritional needs.

I think you'll find it a lot easier than you expect, except maybe at restaurants. And check out ohsheglows.com, probably my favorite vegan recipe blog. I've made a couple good things from there, except the chocolate pudding was a bust.

Let me know if you have questions that I can relay to her. She's really done her research and is very knowledgeable about the nutritional aspects of it.

EDIT: also if you do go vegan, please don't be a dick about it...there's a lot of vegan jerks who give it a bad name, and there really shouldn't be negativity associated with people who don't eat animal products

10. I'm vegan! :D Glad to find other people on GC who are too. :gc_rocks:

11. Was just going to start a new thread about this. I've been vegan for 2 years now :) happy to know there are some other veggies on gc

12. I used to be vegan until I realized paleo is the way to go. The quality of your meat makes all the difference.

13. Hey SnorkChris420!

I was scrolling through vegan forums and bumped into yours!

I just became vegan a few days ago (& I'm not sure if I'm doing it right..)

ANYWAYS!

How is your vegan process so far?? And any tips for a beginner like me??

I can't seem to eat enough calories a day (I think). After devouring 2 sweet potatoes, I'm alrdy totally stuffed:/ I see YouTube videos by vegans (like freelee, durianrider and more) and these sources are saying you should eat 1lb of potatoes for dinner???o.o how is that possible??

14. dude, eat more protein. instead of 2 sweet potatoes, have 1 sweet potato and beans, or tofu. i don't know of any vegan guidelines that instruct you to eat 1lb of potatoes for a single meal...

15. Raw vegans!:) you can check them out:)

16. I've found myself eating less and less meat lately. It's starting to not appeal to my tastebuds. I sometimes have problems keeping meat down every once in a while, which also concerns me. Been thinking about doing just vegan stuff and fish. Maybe keep chicken in my diet as well. 

But I do consume a lot of sugar which I need to fix first. Lots of soda, lots of coffee with sugar and creams, and lots of junk food. I'm just worried that if I do make this switch that I'll loose weight. I weigh 130 pounds and am 6 foot and the last thing I need to be doing is losing weight. 

What's a vegans weekly/monthly grocery list look like?

17. I'm vegan. I normally don't tell people though because there exists animosity, no matter the community, as you can see. 6 months of vegan shouldn't be an issue. When I was 17 I tried it for the first time and the first 3 months were a breeze. I had to quit back then because I didn't have a job, and relied on parents for food. 

As for feeling good. The only real noticeable sensation I have ever felt from being vegan is a clean conscious, as I am very passionate for animals, and a lighter sensation in my gut, where animal products would usually make me feel heavy and sleepy.

18. I gave it a good attempt for 3 months. Full dietary vegan.

Couldn't eat 3,000 calories a day without killing my budget.

So I gave it up. Vegetarian now.

19. One of the advantages is that vegan men live, on average, 9.5 years longer than meat eaters. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/plant-based-diet_b_1981838.html

Most sources reference vegetarianism, but they mean veganism. Maybe because veganism isn't an actual word, lol

20. I made it work for me on $300 a month. If that's still too much for you than I would suggest cutting back in other areas. Diet is one of the last things you should decide to cut back on.