PESTICIDES that WORK

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by OhioStateBuckeyes, May 12, 2012.

1. Floramite is effective against 3 of the 6 herbivore types that hit plants. They state as such on their MSDS

CQ

2. bassman
    "Soap" is made from treating vegetable or animal fats with an alkaline solution. This solution is usually called lye. Lye brings about a chemical reaction call Saponification.

The problem with using 'soaps' and even the good ones like Dr. B's are the aroma compounds, extenders, etc. And that's on their alleged Pure Castile Soap and some of those versions include Potassium Hydroxide - another powerful alkaline.

If you wanted Saponins which is what is actually functioning as a pesticide and not the alkaline compounds then you can get that in Aloe Vera extracts, Yucca extract, Alfalfa meal, etc.

Again - Dr. B's is the 'best' available. Imagine what's in the stuff over at Walmart........

CQ

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanx comfreyquery Ill look for some Aloe extract...what dilution do you recommend?

4. Thanks for this very informative post. After seeing our first outdoor plant literally get cut down by some insect I want to be prepared. Just wanted to. See what you guys think of this.

So far been spraying the plants with a neem solution once a week. I also bought some protekt and will begin using that when it arrives.

I think one of the pest doing damage is the common rolly polly. I've seen them around and eve found some dead ones up on the upper leaves of the mj after neem sprayings.

Do y'all think this would apply adequate protection. I was also thinking of a garlic,chile,soap solution possibly?

5. I didnt know the rolly polly was a garden pest? I will look into that as I have those outside by my grow as well.

6. Pill bugs (aka roly poly) should be seen as a beneficial garden guest

The pill bug is not the rock star of the garden. Rarely mentioned at all, the pill bug is not a bug at all but rather a crustacean. Pill bugs are the only crustacean that can live outside of water. Different gardeners have varied opinions of this small gill-breathing creature known to the scientific community as an isopod.

The pill bug has three body parts, the head, thorax and the abdomen. Pill bugs have a prominent pair of antennae and seven pairs of legs. Male and female pill bugs can be distinguished by the leaf-like pouches found on the underside of females. These are used to carry eggs and developing embryos.

Pill bugs are often mistaken for sow bugs. Sow bugs can’t roll themselves up in a perfect little ball like pill bugs can.

Pill bugs can do some damage in the garden, specifically to young, newly planted transplants, but are rarely a problem where well-established plants are concerned. Pill bugs spend most of their time eating dead and decaying material in the garden. This is usually considered a good thing. My garden is full of them and my compost pile even more so.

The natural role of the pill bug is to eat dead and decaying things so they are actually helping things along in the compost pile. If you think pill bugs are eating your garden because you see them quite often, it may be the sneaky slug coming out after dark doing the damage.

Pill bugs seek out moisture. A well-watered garden will be very appealing to them. Watering in the morning can keep populations under control as the soil surface will have a chance to dry out before the pill bugs become active at night.

Despite their nocturnal behavior, I see pill bugs active in my garden all the time.

Pill bugs are not native to North America and, like most things, were introduced to the region when Europeans showed up. Genetic testing, if you can imagine someone actually doing that, shows that pill bugs probably entered the United States in the early part of the 19th century via the lumber trade in the Mississippi River and St. Lawrence River routes.

Modern modes of transportation have allowed them to colonize most parts of the nation by hitching rides on trucks, trains and the occasional automobile stuffed full of potted plants.

Despite their lack of threat in the garden, many people simply don’t want them around and will resort to pesticide use in order to decrease their numbers. Consider that pesticides kill good and bad creatures before you unleash the poison.

To naturally get rid of pill bugs without harming beneficial earthworms, you can sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the soil surface or directly on the pill bugs. Found in most garden stores, diatomaceous earth is awesome, to say the least. It is made up of the fossilized remains of one-celled algae called diatoms. When ingested, the diatomaceous earth causes the innards of the pill bugs to be shredded. It’s unsavory but effective.

If you don’t mind the wee buggers in the garden, just ignore them, and know they serve a purpose in the cycle that is nature.

Like earthworms, snails and millipedes, pill bugs return organic matter to the soil where it is further digested by fungi, protozoa and bacteria, making available nitrates, phosphates and other vital nutrients available to plants.

Rather amazing, pill bugs can take in heavy metals that have contaminated soils from coal mining and other man-made disturbances of the earth. They promote restoration by accelerating the formation of topsoil, which in turn allows other plants to grow.

***This is a copy/paste***

7. Yeh your right. I read that to and tnought surely it can't be them. But I also found some other gardners besides mj that said they had problems. It might be a misidentification on my part but it was definitely rolly pollys on the leaves and they were all around. The neem musta did em in.

8. RE: Aloe Vera

You want to get the purest version that you can - i.e. one without Sodium Benzoate. The other preservatives used are Citric acid, Ascorbic acid and Potassium Sorbate are safe to use and in the case of Citric acid there is the Krebs Cycle paradigm.

A brand that is distributed nationwide is 'Lily of The Desert' and they have several versions - read the ingredient listings.

Besides the Saponin compounds you have a huge range of enzymes (that are plant related since they came from a plant and not a pork chop), amino acids, vitamins and a full range of elements ('nutes' for the stoners). At the top of the list is the Salicylic acid compound - found in Willow tree shoots, et al. and is the active 'rooting agent' - here you get it in pure form with the associated hydrocarbon chains that trigger SAR defenses by the plant.

1/4 cup to 1 gallon of pure water is an uber safe and still effective mixing ratio.

CQ

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanx again for the info!

10. What's in it is Cinnamon oil as another poster accurately pointed out. Pesticides, fungicides and herbicides that are made from straight plant material do not require listing. They must have the ingredients on the label but a filing, per se, is not required.

I speak from personal experience

Cinnamon oil and water - LMAO

11. #51 SkunkPatronus, May 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012

My my, Your dork is all in a knot today...it's the price that gets me actually. I have no problem spending lots of money on something when I know what's in it. Also the unknown that pisses me off. Kinda like Gravity. That gravity is harmful shit, because of the 'unknown' chemical that is not listed for what it is, and when asked to remove it from the shelves, they repackage it and sell more...

not cool.

I looked in all those places for an ingredients list, so I could see what they put in there, and they are simply not listed bloody anywhere. Don't know about hippies and politics, I don't like politics, I last voted about 12 years back. I voted for the shit sandwich. I thought that the giant douche would be a more poor choice. No matter.

I'm no organi-nazi, I'm not every 'prudent'. I like not spending much money cuz I have two kids in college, so when I do spend it, I like to know exactly what I am buying.

That gravity stuff has a ton of positive reviews too.

I like horses. This skunk will drink, if someone can prove that it doesn't have pee in it...

Resub yourself...you're a most intelligent man, I like to follow your threads, you're a seed-head like myself.

12. I use that stuff as a binder for oils and silicones and stuff that get sprayed on my babies...never thought it would potentiate the stuff I was mixing. Very cool!

13. This thread makes my head hurt.

14. This miracle product has the stench of OGF all over it.

I'll check ODA filings tomorrow when they open

15. I must have been really high last night before bed;; I swear I made a reply on this thread about comfrey.

Anyways, Ive been looking for a couple comfrey plants to put outside in the garden. None of the nurserys I stopped at had it or knew where to get it. Some had never heard of comfrey!
    Just wondering if there is a good site you guys use to buy your comfrey seeds? Id like to get them planted this year so they will be good by next.

16. Horizon Herbs - largest seller of Comfrey Bocking 14 in the states

$3.00 for each root piece. These plants are sterile. You would never want to plant Comfrey seeds which are not, obviously, sterile. Unless you were trying to piss off all of your neighbors. One of the most invasive plants you could come up with. Some countries prohibit their sale for example

Choose your site carefully because once planted it is almost impossible to kill it. The roots go down deeper than many cultivated trees like apples, pears, etc. - almost 15'

CQ

17. Thanks man;; Ill be sure to plan it carefully before planting!

18. crushed and powdered tobaccco soak in water and spray on... organic

19. A friend of mine mentioned this, but isnt that nicotine...bad for us when we smoke it like a cig or does it not make it into the finished product?

20. well i dont think it would really affect the finished product as it isnt mixing tobacco itself into the herb its jjust diluted bacco juice and you just hold off from spraying when you are getting ready to chop but it does work as a pesticide and not only at killing bugs but you can spray it at the bottom of the door andaround door or windows and will keep them out cheap and effextive and natural use natural american spirit tobacco it doesnt have any harmful chemicals or additives just what you need