Homemade Downstem Question

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by jcofillinois, May 8, 2012.

1. alright guys, i've got a custom glass blown bong that i've had for ages. but the other day, my downstem broke.

now this downstem hole is not any normal size, it's just over 3/8 of an inch in diameter. i've checked online, local headshops, an couldn't find a correctly fitting downstem.

so i went over to my buddy's this morning an made one in his woodshop. pictures below.

my question is, will the wood rot? i won't have water in there all the time, and it's currently not clear coated.

the small dowel is the downstem, and the thicker one is the other piece i don't know.:p

thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. Maybe it's me, but I don't think it's that's difficult to buy a new downstem. As far as what you made, I'm sure it would work, but I'd only use it until I got my new one if at all.

3. have your friend make you a bong like in dazed and confused

4. [quote name='"budensity"']have your friend make you a bong like in dazed and confused[/quote]

^ hey man I've seen u on all the threds posting great shit to watch. You know what's up budensity

5. Seeing how thats the hottest part I would just get a glass one. Wood and heat don't seem like a good combination unless u want a fire

6. I love making home made smoking tools.

How well does your bowl piece fit into this down stem?

In my opinion I don't see the wood rot being an issues. If you start to notice things growing, discoloration, or notice it falling apart then just throw it away :p.

7. [quote name='"Farmer619"']I love making home made smoking tools.

How well does your bowl piece fit into this down stem?

In my opinion I don't see the wood rot being an issues. If you start to notice things growing, discoloration, or notice it falling apart then just throw it away :p.[/quote]

the bowl fits superb, i'm quite amazed at the fit. i've been using it the past few days, and all is well so far. thanks brothas and sistas!:p

8. Seeing as how you have access to a woodshop, just make a new one whenever you feel like it.
    IMO the best part of home-made bongs and parts