Carlo's Organic Guerrilla Garden 2012

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by CarloMarx, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Do this - go and buy some Aloe Vera juice. All Aloe Vera must contain preservatives. You want to buy an Aloe Vera juice which does not contain Sodium Benzoate.

Any of the other preservatives are fine - Potassium Sorbate, Citric acid (Krebs Cycle), Ascorbic acid - these are not only fine - they're helpful.

Take 1/2 cup of this juice in a gallon jug. Fill it about half-way and shake as violently as possible. This will 'activate' the Saponin compounds. Top off the just with water and spray.

You want to spray as late in the evening as possible. I'm in a real hurry so I can't explain why but just take my word - I wouldn't do anything to screw up your garden.

I promise you that by tomorrow morning you'll be blown away with the results.

Peace

CQ

2. Weird, for some reason your thread shows up double... Two in a row of the exact same thread. Hmmmm. GC is playing games today.

3. Hey man just stopping by to say high! Hope things are all well.

4. :confused_2:

Thanks!

I don't have a plan yet for making another watering visit, but as soon as I do I will definitely have a picture update.

Until then..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MfHu_sNmwA&feature=g-upl]Black Leaf 8 Arm Perc Bubbler - YouTube[/ame]

5. I've also gotten my hands on some aloe vera juice so I will be using that as CQ directed in a foliar application on the next visit.

6. What have you been using for pesticide?

7. None whatsoever. I have no trouble with pests at my plots.

8. Lucky man, I havent had to bad of problems but the grasshoppers are deffinently their.

9. #169 CarloMarx, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
    I wish I could call myself lucky. I'm still battling this leaf curl and I'm getting more and more frustrated by the day. I think the aloe vera juice foliar application helped, but its looking like I'm going to need to keep applying.

I fed all the plants with a 2-3-1 fish and seaweed organic fertilizer in hopes of correcting the deficiency that is causing them to yellow. The C99 isn't looking very good at all. The PM is still trying to push through, as is the Sour Candy.

On a brighter note, I popped my AutoBlueberry and Pandora seeds. I won't be making any mistakes with them! I think I'm gonna go ahead and pop a freebie auto while I'm at it. I contemplated starting another photoperiod girl but I decided it was too late and those seeds would be better for an indoor run with more time.

I'll try to get some pictures soon but there's not a whole lot to be excited about. It's got me pretty down :mad:

10. Happy Sunday, blades.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EbrMAZbFpo]the flaming lips - fight test - YouTube[/ame]

11. #171 CarloMarx, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
    Here's a close-up of my veggie bud (broccoli) :D

[​IMG]

12. I read something on another site that got me thinking about what is causing problems for my plants.

Alright, when you add organic amendments (or microbial foods) like alfalfa meal, bone meal, neem meal, etc... you're putting in microbial foods. The microbes are going to become more active and begin reproducing at greater rates. As this occurs, the nutrients are going to be cycled into plant available forms and also be locked up in the bodies of the microbes. The reason you need to wait (which I obviously failed to do) a little while after adding these ingredients is because the microbes can multiply so rapidly that they will heat the soil (similar to thermal composting) or lock out the plant (think of adding unfinished thermal compost to your soil if it's still hot) as the biology stops receiving exudates from the plant and just consumes the other amendments in your soil mix.

13. Carlo, you would think by now that the mix would have settled down by now.

Did you add any lime to mix to even out the ph? I did not see any mentioned in you mix of ingredients. Anyway to test the PH of the soil?

Without testing the ph for lockout, I would just throw out:

Maybe the water has too much chlorine with is killing off the microbial activity in the soil? Or maybe something else in the water that the plants don't like.

Have you tried any superthrive (vitamin b) to see if that helps? Or, some epsom salts or cal-mag for a cal/mag deficiency (again, most recipes I see include epsom salts).

When I look at your plants, they look green and healthy, but your right, that curl thing is not right.

14. Dang man that sucks about the leaf curl. It does make alot of sense what you posted about the microbial herd heating up the soil! But within another week or so you should be good I would figure atleast. I would just keep up with the foilar feeds for now. Just keep them light. Lols

Man I have been thinking of popping a couple more beans to. I have one auto then a couple photo's that I would really like to breed with my nyc Diesel male! So I might just pop them. I figure as long as I have them popped and ouside by the beggining of july they will be decently sized when done, and I will have more crosses to try and finalize!

Hope all is well man, Happy growin and smokin.

15. Benny, the pro-mix equivalent I used for my base mix had dolomite lime already in it to stabilize pH. As for the chlorine, I only use creek water for watering so that is not an issue. I think that the mixture of an incredibly intense sun and a mix that was not allowed to fully "cook" is the cause of my problems. That also means that I am completely at fault.

Hey, Guru! Late plants are better than none! I hope you get some good crosses. Don't be afraid to share you genetics in the future ;)

16. #176 CarloMarx, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    Sorry for not being around here lately, guys. The whole leaf curl thing has got me really down and out. on top of that I had a long work week with a couple of ten hour days. Moreover, we had a weekend that was 100+ both days. I have still been watering the plants and attempting to alleviate the stress they are experiencing. My most recent actions have been adding lime and watering it in, feeding with humic acid concentrate with 7 micronutrients, feeding lightly with fish hydrosolate with seaweed, and continuing the aloe vera juice foliars (which seem to be helping slowly).

The C99 looks like it is dormant but I am trying to bring it back to life. The other two are ugly, but still alive although they are not growing much.

I'm trying everything I can to get these damn things back into shape.

17. Damn man, Im really sorry to hear that your plants arent doing that great so far. It sounds like what your doing is helping just taking its sweet time.

Thats good to hear about work. Always good to be busy with work. This weekend coming up Im working sat and sunday and those are my normal days off. So Ill be going like 13 days on.. Wow

But hope all gets better man, Sending you some good vibes!

18. Nice day lillies, i think!

Did you ever figure out what was causing that leaf curl, i got the EXACT same thing going on this year with 2 plants. They are healthy otherwise and growing well.

I figure it could be stress, or excess moisture in the soil or micronutrient defficiency...but i cannot figure it out for sure. What do you think?

19. @organicN40

I'm almost certain that the leaf curl is a result of not letting the soil complete its nutrient cycling (cooking) and the extreme heat we've been experiencing in these parts. I've been doing everything I can to bring them back up to par but I've experienced no substantial success, although the PM and the SC are still growing.

The heat wave has finally passed, guys. We had two straight weeks of 95+ temps with more than a couple days hitting the 105 marker. I'm hoping that some good waterings and foliar sprays can repair the curled leaves. As I mentioned earlier, the Purple Maroc and the Sour Candy are still growing, although they are still ugly. I'll get some pictures next time I'm out even though I am NOT happy with the plants. On a brighter note, the two late starters are doing great.

Thanks to those who have stuck around here. I'd hoped for much more out of this season but things don't always go as planned. However, I am still working hard to make sure these girls make it to harvest.

I will be moving back indoors at the end of the summer for a two plant grow. My soil is cooking as we speak and my compost is composting. I'm pretty stoked :smoke:

20. ^i hear ya on shit not always going as planned lol