Canadian Marijuana law change?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ehngage, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys, so I know there is something happening on may 5-6 in Canada that may or may not change our marijuana laws? I don't know a whole lot on this, but if someone could shed some light or link me in the right direction, that would be wonderful! Thanks.

2. Theres isn't a whole lot of information i can find either, i guess well have to wait and find out.

3. Yeah, I've heard it could be to fully legalize, to just change our medical system to make it more accessible, maybe like Californias? I would be ok with either. Finding a Doctor in my area is Impossible without spending $600 for an online appointment.

4. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVSWSHM_7w0]The Mernagh Appeal - YouTube[/ame]

5. so if they dont win than which theres a low chance they will marijuana will become completely legal ?

6. Its legalized and im moving. Not gonna put up with this bullshit prohibition in this country. Shit is going downhill here anyway.

7. Lets hope that if Canada passes full legalization it'll push the states forward in the right direction, or at least open an honest debate on the issue. Very wishful thinking, however. At least Canada isn't that far off . ;)

8. [quote name='"ScroogeMcDuck"']
    Lets hope that if Canada passes full legalization it'll push the states forward in the right direction, or at least open an honest debate on the issue. Very wishful thinking, however. At least Canada isn't that far off . ;)[/quote]

If Canada legalized bud it would probably just hurt their relations a little bit with the US. I doubt the US gov would switch its stance on the issue and might just become a little pissed that drugs could potentially get into the states easier. That is IF there's full legalization, not to be a downer but I'm saying it doesn't happen. If it did happen I would move in a heartbeat.

9. The US federal govt will use traditional Big Bully tactics to get Canada to "get in line"
    Threatening trade sanctions, restricting travel, etc.

However much I love my country, if Canada legalizes, I will be looking for a new home in the windsor or Toronto areas.
    I may be legal where I am, but michigan is trying to undermine the will of the voters.

10. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lredf7PHN44[/ame]

Matt Mernagh won the first time around; all he needs to do now is convince 2 out of 3 judges to rule in his favor during the appeal process, and cannabis will no longer be illegal.

The majority of Canadians are in favor of decriminalizing/legalizing marijuana but Prime Minister Stephen Harper is totally against it (because he's a tool). It should be interesting to see how this turns out.

And if you could, please spread it around wherever you can. The Canadian mainstream media doesn't seem to be covering this story as closely as it should for some reason, even though this is big news. Prohibition might finally be coming to an end. =D

11. i am excite :hello::smoke:

12. wow, i just learned this , but as much hope i have for this i just cant understand how it "might" become legalized . it sounds to good to be true.the goverment have their hands rapped arround this .

13. #15 benthamj49, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    Anybody have the text for the Taliano ruling? I'm trying to see how he reasoned that non-patient production and possession is unconstitutional. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear why so I don't have to read the ruling text. All that the news articles say is that he found it unconstitutional...

Nevermind, here if you're interested: http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2011/2011onsc2121/2011onsc2121.html

Looks like Mernagh was arguing that since the MMAR was incapable of providing cannabis (medicine) to him, then the CDSA (like the US' Controlled Substances Act) was also blocking him from getting the treatment he requires. Taliano is calling the requirement to have a doctor sign off on the fact that a patient would prefer cannabis as medicine unconstitutional. The judge then said that the only remedy to this situation is to strike down MMAR because what use is the bill if no doctor will sign off on patients. Then, he says that since there is no more MMAR, how will a patient get the cannabis? To get the cannabis to patients, he must also strike down the CDSA components regarding production and possession of cannabis.

Is this what the ruling is saying? I hate legalese, but I am failing to see how he can make these connections. I hope the ruling holds up, though. It would be the breakthrough North America needs to get the US to stop being so ridiculous.

14. I'm feeling good about this year... This along with the state initiatives in the us... LEGOOO:smoke:

15. this is exactly what im thinking ,:smoke: but you summed it up better lol

16. Because the courts have power over the government (to protect the people against the government in a way). So if a law that the government is found to be unconstatutional (this happens if he wins) then the laws become void.

17. As long as Stephen Harper is prime minister marijuana will remain illegal.

18. [quote name='"Oil Toker"']As long as Stephen Harper is prime minister marijuana will remain illegal.[/quote]

We shall see...