Indoor gardening without bottled nutrients

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jerry111165, Apr 15, 2012.

1. #3341 sulbones, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2016
    are clam, quahog, or mussel shells any good?

2. You would be better off with crab, lobster or shrimp shells. The others will provide calcium (eventually) if crush fine enough but only the crab lobster and shrimp has chitin which will help with soil pests.

3. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1454449487.520853.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1454449501.460221.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1454449524.421725.jpg

5 gal buckets. Blueberry. Week 7 flower.

I have a 2x2 tent. I'm thinking of getting 27gal storage containers and setting them up like the buckets just to provide more soil for the roots. It will fit in the same space

4. Bgrass, that's brilliant,! Is that a single plant in a 5 gallon pail inside a 2x2 tent, is it organic living soil, looks like its doing great whatever it is, actually, I love the idea of a big single tub , lots of room and plenty of goodies for the life cycle,
    Bout to moisten up the soil I mixed last night, is there anything I should add, I read it can be kicked off with an ACT or some mollases to kick start ythe initial cook, wow I got way to many questions... You have a link to that grow, many thanks, Boom

Check out my grow report
    https://youtu.be/XrqtYNDulSc

5. No link. I brew kelp, ewc, barley teas all the time. Add silica and ocassionally blend some aloe. Living organic soil. Got the recipe here
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1454456528.310220.jpg

6. thank you pineweasel i do run across alot of crab shells and some dead crabs at low tide not to many lobster shells. Maine Lobster is way overfished around here. i could always go to a seafood restaurant and pull them out of the trash. im sure they wouldnt mind. unless someone is already doing it, which is probably the case.
    there are many seafood restaurants around here( cape cod ). so im sure to be able to find lobsta somewhere.

7. No doubt, I get a lot of compostable material from the restaurant I work at, Tons of coffee grounds and egg shells, if I could only convince them to start serving some shell fish[​IMG]

8. working at a restauraunt must help a lot. Good stuff.

9. The best part is the endless supply of 5 gal pickle buckets

10. Hey organics crew, I'm pretty new to this organics stuff but no bottles nutes and no till gardening sound great to me. I haven't read the whole thread but I've read enough to get a pretty good understanding of organics and I'm wanting to get started for my next grow. Here's the ingredients I plan on using but if I can drop things or if there's something that would be better to use in place of something let me know. Also ratios of the amendments would be very helpful, as what I'm most concerned about is my soil mix being well balanced and such. I plan on reading through the whole thread but I'm on the mobile version so it takes quite a while to get through many pages. I appreciate any help and sorry if it's been covered I just want to start getting ingredients soon and mixing it up. Here's the ingredients I was thinking of using

Pro mix organic
    Earth worm castings
    Kelp meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Compost
    Epsoma plant tone
    Neem meal
    Azomite
    Rock phosphate
    Bone char (to top dress).
    Also would this organic soil mix be able to use on vegetables since were working side by side with the microbes to give our plant what it needs.
    Thanks again for any help.
    Peace!

11. Finally dropping by to thank everyone for all of the great advice I've gotten from this forum and to Jerry for putting it together. This may be my first post on grasscity, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I don't write much, because it takes me so damn long, but I just finished my first grow since 1979 and need to brag some. I grew 3 Craigslist Candyland clones in 3gal. Smartpots in a diy panda tent w/ a cheap, but nice led.-and dirt made with what I learned here and they came out beautifully. It is by far the some of the best tasting and strongest weed I've smoked in years. I used the methods described in this forum along with a few other organic related grow forums. Watered with kelp tea often. The dispensary's have garbage compared to what I just grew. I'm kind of shocked to find out we can grow such amazing weed. What the hell's going on with the dispensary's? Do the growers keep the good stuff and only sell the crap to them? I will never buy weed again. I'm in weed heaven now. Thanks again. I'm hooked.

12. See if you can source some crab meal, or crustacean meal.

13. Ive been away from the city for over 3 years and its great to see that Jerry and all you other organic heads are still doin your thing! This thread has SO much valuable organic growing information in it. Thinking about making another soil mix and getting back at it. [​IMG]

14. I also started an organic grow so hopefully I get the same success i m using everything yih listed good job

Sent from my SM-N900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Sorry I'm late but it sounds like you've got a handle on things. I will say that I prefer a 50:50 mix of compost and worm castings if possible - just because worm castings can be quite dense and heavy. Please make sure that your soil is well aerated and fluffy when you're fine mixing and it sounds like you'll be fine.

Keep us updated.

J

• Like Like x 1

16. Wonderful news! I'm so glad it's worked out well for you. It's refreshing to not need to spend money on bottled nutrients isn't it. Being able to reuse your soil over and over will only continue to make things less expensive.

Thanks for dropping by and spreading the good vibes.

J

• Like Like x 1
  17. Here goes... Not gonna be no till but definitely gonna stop the "nectar for the gods" bottles this round...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The soil is Vermont compost fort vee mix which is...
    "manure compost, granite, vermiculite, bone char, gypsum, sphagnum peat moss, coconut coir, kelp, and blood meal.

I plan on top dressing with compost/kelp/alfalfa... Adding sst/mbt as I learn more about those... Trying to get simple and get out of the way so this plant can grow happy!

I used to recycle and reammend and that seemed to work ok... ProMix and compost... Here's the current pile... I used bottles to get me through flower with this system and wondered if that was working against the soil life... How clean is the soil I recycle?

[​IMG]

Not quite comfrey and leaf mold yet, but I'll get there...

• Like Like x 2

18. Depends on what you had for dinner that night. Making me hungary.

19. Besides mycorrhizae what else do you guys use for fungi/good bacteria?

20. Hi bggrass, good worm castings and leaf mold are high in fungi/ beneficial bacteria.. I'm thinking of free/low cost options.

The Shit Show

• Like Like x 1