how long do u let bud hang to dry before curing?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kayakush, Apr 15, 2012.

1. hey smokers and jokers,

wanted to know the time i need to hang bud before i put in a jar to cure. its been three days and i got all this stinky bud hanging in a dry dark place. i know this is a common question but thought i would ask. peace

2. [quote name='"kayakush"']hey smokers and jokers,

wanted to know the time i need to hang bud before i put in a jar to cure. its been three days and i got all this stinky bud hanging in a dry dark place. i know this is a common question but thought i would ask. peace[/quote]

I'm sure you could find it in one of the many guides/how to's

3. When I can snap the stem usually.

4. thanks, you are the dude of life

5. KK-
    Drying and curing, many will say, can be harder than growing at times!!! There are many guides to proper methods, read them all!! But to give you a head start, it depends upon the size of the bud. Big "donkey dicks" take longer, popcorn buds can go in 1-2 days.
    Getting to the "stem-will-snap" phase is harder than it sounds, and for some strains, this is actually too dry and you will lose some of the righteous smell of your bud.
    As a general rule, as soon as the outside of the bud feels dry, you need to move it into a paper sack. Let it sweat for a day or two, check frequently, and AS SOON as you feel moisture on the outside (leached from inside the bud), move it back to air-dry again. The second go-round might take another day; with popcorn, it may only need an hour. Check frequently, as soon as it feels dry again, move it into a closed environment to sweat some more.
    Third phase, put it into an air tight container - glass is good but if you're dealing with a bit more material, plastic with cling wrap works fine too. FILL THE CONTAINER!!! but don't pack it. Let it sweat some more. After 1, or 2, or 3 days (check regularly), open, and lightly move bottom-to-top, air a little while, then re-seal.
    Once you've gone several days with no apparent increase in outside bud moisture, it's time to move to glass for long term storage. Again, fill the jar but don't pack it. Wide mouth quart jars are perfect. Continue checking every few days, to every week, etc.
    Personally, once I'm convinced it's cured, I like to freeze mine.
    Best advice during all these phases - watch out for any ammonia-like (cat piss) smell. That is a sure indication they are still too moist and need additional air drying.
    And, it's a good idea to retain a handful of fresh cut greed buds, and freeze immediately. If you over-do the drying at any point, place a green bud or two in with the dry, seal it, and check regularly. You're looking for that delicate balance of not-brittle but still dry to slightly ,,, dank? Hard to describe.
    Then, all thats left is to enjoy the fruits of your labors!!!

6. #7 Doc-J, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    I do three days hanging. Then put them in layers inside a large brown paper bag with shredded bags in between layers for two days. Then, in to the jar.

Once in the jar open daily for one to two weeks. Once you open the jars and they have the same moisture as the day before you can start opening them a little less. If they seem to have alot more moisture, open them a little more often. After two weeks you should only need to open them once every couple of weeks.