What Bulb do I use for Veg?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sourjello73, Apr 10, 2012.

1. #1 sourjello73, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
    This is my current grow, and everybody seems to ignore my thread amongst the thousands of more popular grow threads.
    Anyways, I have a question, I just ordered a 400w HPS and ballast. It came with a 400w MH bulb too. I tried them both out, the metal halide (or whatever its called) is blue, and the high pressure sodium bulb is yellow.
    My question is, what one should I use for veg, and which shall I use for flower? Does it make a difference?

I'm not very informed on the whole light spectrum debate, so please enlighten me :smoke:

Thanks in advance,
    -Sour

2. Sourjello: I don't think anyone is purposely ignoring your thread but what you're asking can be found in any of a number of resources. I wish that there was an easier way, but if you’re as new to this as I think you are I suggest the following:
    1. Read: SeeMoreBud’s book, “MARIJUANA BUDS FOR LESS GROW 8 OZ. OF BUDS FOR LESS THAN $100.”
    2. Read: Jorge Cervantes’s book, “MARIJUANA HORTICULTURE THE INDOOR/OUTDOOR MEDICAL GROWER’S BIBLE.”
    3. Read: Ed Rosenthal’s, “MARIJUANA GROWER’S HANDBOOK.”
    4. You’ll want to read: Mc Carthy’s book, “GROWING MARIJUANA.”
    5. You’ll also want to subscribe to, “HIGH TIMES,” magazine. Each issue is chocked full of useful information. .” All these resources are very well written, well illustrated and packed with information that will answer most of your questions before you know to ask them. This will save you and your plants a lot of anxiety. Your answer is as simple as: 5,000K's for vegging and 2,700 K's for flowering. I hope that helps. Hank

3. Haha I know :p I didn't mean it like that, Its just impossible to see cuz all the other threads bump it to the second page in 20 minutes! Haha Thats why I asked my question in a less busy, and more relevant category.

Thank you for the resources! I'll check everything out later tonight.

And if my memory serves me correctly then the 2700k is yellow and 5000k is blue, right? Sorry, my bulbs aren't labeled. Makes sense though cuz I'm pretty sure thats what I usually see people doing. In that case I guess I'll switch it out with the MH, thanks!

4. Mh for veg
    Hps for flower

5. DNorris is right, MH for veg, HPS for flower.

But usually it's 6,500k for veg? 5,000k helps with full spectrum, but 6,500k is more important.

6. This doesn't really apply directly to your question but I was a little surprised to learn that among Metal Halides there are also kelvin ranges available that are considerably different. Some are in the 5500k to 6500k range that are more white, or closer to natural sunlight, and others of the same wattage that are 10,000 or even 20,000 kelvin that look quite blue. My guess due to the idea that growers are trying to match full sunlight would point more preference on the lower kelvin Halides that appear white for seedlings, clones and vegging.

7. Yeah I learned about Kelvin whilst shopping for HID headlights for my truck :rolleyes:

8. Lmao, you never know where you're gonna learn about growspace stuff ;)

9. Tell me about it! My truck looks dope with 6000k HID's :devious: ;)
    Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it. The girls are loving the MH. If you wana see what I'm up to, the link's in my sig!

Thanks again,
    Sour