Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making High Quality BHO

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Cuba, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Is that one cola? or just so sticky nugs stuck together? Colas are the best for making oils. I chop mine up into peanut m&m size or slightly bigger. I think its the best balance between quality and yield.

2. gotta be honest i dont know what cola is? :p a strain of weed? haha either way its just one big nug and it was sold to me as "snow white" but people around here just name weed as they please.

so i learned a good lesson last night making another batch of bho (too impatient to wait for my new glass extractor to come in). I was packing some dried bud into the tube and then i noticed i didn't have enough nugs!!!! So instead of putting in non-dried nugs I thought it would be beter to throw in whole dried stems that i have saved to fill in the gap.... bad idea.

I got a very dark product that would not whip no matter how i tried. Its still good but not the same as my last batch. Anyways lesson learned, never ever ever mix stems and high quality nug! :)

3. Question. Can you half pack that extraction tube you have Cuba? I want to run a small amount (3-4 grams) so I can practice my technique. Will room inside the tube cause me any quality loss? I picked up my glass extractor this weekend. It houlds roughly 6-8 grams. Wanted to do a run with about half of that at first since I only have some real good quality herbs.

4. Thats a cola. The big nug on top, always has more Cannabinoids then any other part of the plant.

Yeah, stems are not worth it. If I dont have enough to fill a tube then i leave it empty.

5. I half pack my tube all the time. What I do is, I just pour it down into my tube, put my 2 unbleached coffee filters on the end and seal it. Then it gently tap it on something and the bud packs itself on the filter end. Then I just start blasting Butane.

Also, unfortunately, you're not really gonna learn too much from 3-4 grams. You'd be looking at maybe .3-.4 of a gram.

6. really? you shove coffee filters in the tube? wouldnt a bunch of honey oil get staturated in the coffee filters?

the only reason i filled the space was because i was afraid that empty space = blow out. But if people are saying they only partially fill the extraction tube all the time I might have to give it a try.

7. I dont shove the filters into the tube. I cover the large end of the tube, with the filters. You can seal it with a hose clamp or duct tape. The filters are really thin and the essential oils are dissolved, not suspended in the fluid.

Less material, less of a chance of getting a complete block to build up pressure.

8. Got my glass extraction tube today from eXtraction eXperts. Excellent quality, prices and customer service.

Paid $24.99 USD online plus about $10 shipping to Canada. DS mini 7-10g.

Can't wait to try it out! :)
    eXtraction eXperts

Attached Files:

9. Time to put that thing to work.

10. if you pack this tube and then finish your run how r u going to empty since only one side is open???if this would be answered i will buy mine then.sorry for my english

11. #51 JellyBean710, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2013
    Hey all. My first post as I'm a newbie here.

So just made a new batch of heat refined and vac purged absolutely beautiful amber shatter this week! I used almost an oz of sour d. With 2 glass tubes, ran a can through each and another can through each in a superset pan to compare quality(have yet to heat/vac that batch). I yielded about 3.57g which I thought was sweet! After a day of vac purging final weight was about 3.24g. So if you question whether your oil is clean it most likely is.
    I tried to take as much time as needed. It's a shame not. Your desire is the purest, cleanest product right?!?
    I did so much research. There seem to be so many methods. Safety is always important obviously! But anyway lost my train of thought oops haha!

So after I scraped I place on parchment. Same your Pyrex and make a sweet pan of brownies later! I whipped my product for about 5 minutes and spread in rather thin on the paper. I let it breath at a cool temp in the garage till morning. Long process no need to rush. Did have a taste to compare with next day of refining(it was very dark and looked like taffy at this point. Taste had a metallic flavor, very thick smoke.

Next day. Have vac as well as thermometer(baking), hot plate/skillet. I got my plate to 120* and placed my parchment on. It softens very quickly so be aware! Then I removed and whipped again for a good 5 minutes at an almost liquid state. As it cooled and thickened I would reheat and repeat whip. I did this approximately 5 to 7 times. About an hour. You don't want to let it over heat, when it bubbles take it off fast. If your product scorches/burns you either lose product or will create a taste that will not fade and polite your products clean taste. It is not hard if your organized and patient. I whip with a silver nut pick from a nut cracker set. It works the best so far.

After I had a beautiful smooth, bubble less product it was time to vacuum purge. My first time! I borrowed a nice one. I cut the paper to fit, be carful to not get your product spread to big or close to edges as it WILL run off on vac. When you heat purge you will have alot of control over size/shape of your oil before it dries at that moment. The paper helps it almost pool. Ok so your ready to purge. When you do you will see it bubble and puff up. When you release it it condenses. I repeated this process for nearly an hour, took a break and repeated for another half. Until I had nothing but beauty! I new it was clean! One last time I lightly heated to smooth it out and I let it set.

My goal was to get the amber "jolly rancher" look. And I did!!! Very exciting! Such a clean high. With the lightest taste of grapes!?! Perfect medicine. I love the way my body/lungs feel since I began using oils. I'm not spending as much time trying to medicate either. I know this is scattered. It's late. But I just wanted to share. Any tips for next batch would be taken in! I really have a goal of becoming a caregiver when medical makes it to Illinois and am trying to learn as much as I can. Anyone ever winterized?!

I wanted to put up some pics....but am not sure how. First post and all. Is it safe to post stuff like pics?

JellyBean710

12. Can anyone tell me the best pressure to us with this? And the best way if neone knows any tricks . Thanks

Attached Files:

13. I know this is old but I was searching around and ha a question. If you do not grind up your weed how do you fit it in the tube? Would you still grind it in a grinder, break it up with your hands or just put nugs in whole? I understand you normally grind it down to fine bits but I am just confused. Thx! :D

14. no no no no wrong very wrong, whipping only alters consistency, not quality. if done improperly it will actually trap more impurities in the oil.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app