Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Making High Quality BHO

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Cuba, Apr 9, 2012.

1. When you grind them up you have a much larger amount of surface area affected by the solvent, which will result on a higher yield with a lower quality result. Just break em up with your fingers but not too much. If you'd prefer, I used to do a really quick run of whole buds and then repeat and then grind up the two previous and do a third run. It's an art and the only way to get better o's to not sacrifice or compromise. Wait unroll your butane comes and then make the next batch perfect.

2. I usually cut mine up to peanut size m&m's size. Its a good size for a good yield and quality.

3. I'm getting ready to make my first batch, got a 6-pack of Colibri.

Found this video about "whipping" your BHO, it goes from black to golden. It's an alternative to vacuum purging, I suppose.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71vbMkFXFA]How to make PROPER whipped BHO "Budder" - YouTube[/ame]

4. In my experience, hash become darker the longer you expose it to heat. you didn't mention your purge time, so I'm guessing the color here is due to your "drying" process. Unless your bud is exceptionally moist, the time in the oven only serves to decarb it. a long purge time also contributes to a darker oil. if you want a lighter color, try eliminating the pre-run drying, use a shorter/cooler purge time/temp, and also whip the oil.

5. Yes it is an alternative, but it is an inferior purging method. Nothing can come close to BHO that has been under a vacuum for a few hours at 155F. Absolutely no butane. With whipping you can purge out terpenes and can ruin the flavor.

6. I especially like your 6 posts.

7. this thread has gotten me so stoked to make some more bho. fucking hate living in Kansas and having to pay 175 for a half o, and only get a g or two outta it..

any tips for a higher yield?

8. buy a small glass extractor and pack it VERY tightly with the best buds ya can find.. i yeilded 1.9g of oil from 8.5 g of "moist"(not bone dry) bud ground once round in a two piece grinder. The most that fits in my extractor is about 8.5 of ground herb if its smashed tight, I used a little less than half a can of butane... in my personal experience 1.9g of oil will last me far longer than 8.5 of herb would. I think its well worth it to make bho even with those prices spakky, just have to find quality nug and do it the correct way :)

9. 15/g is average for your area for bho?

calling bullshit. hah

10. I cant buy bho where i am...i've only ever seen it around here once and it was just a personal stash from a guy i use to buy off of.

You can buy oil here, the higher grade stuff they call it honey oil and its $15-20/g. It has the colour and consistancy of the stuff I first posted pics of. Doesn't compare at all to bho!

I got my colibri butane in the mail yesterday....now i'm just waiting on my glass extractor tube!!!:D

Hopefully it comes in for 420, if not i guess ill have to do one last run through the turkey baster.

11. [quote name='"MilkyIlladelph"']buy a small glass extractor and pack it VERY tightly with the best buds ya can find.. i yeilded 1.9g of oil from 8.5 g of "moist"(not bone dry) bud ground once round in a two piece grinder. The most that fits in my extractor is about 8.5 of ground herb if its smashed tight, I used a little less than half a can of butane... in my personal experience 1.9g of oil will last me far longer than 8.5 of herb would. I think its well worth it to make bho even with those prices spakky, just have to find quality nug and do it the correct way :)[/quote]

Never tried making bho before. I plan on trying after this harvest. Where did you get you glass extraction tube from man? Thanks.

12. i've been making BHO from time and time for the past few months. i'll run small amounts most of the time, using 4g to make .7g - .8g

don't have the tools to vacuum purge so me and my friends use hot plate or boil water and steam the pyrex but still come out with a clear, golden color

if you want to be real serious about it, try and touch your bud as little as possible. put on clean gloves when you break down your bud for the extractor since the oils on your finger will contaminate the bud

-i use vector butane, very trustworthy can't go wrong with it

when you fill your extractor, nugs vs. shake/grinded bud matters. nugs give you better quality while shake gives you more yield. so how you fill you extractor matters

-when i run butane through, i stop once the end of the extractor starts spewing out clear liquid and no longer the golden color

-don't wanna purge your oil with a high temperature, causes oil to darken and burn,
    affects taste. I, myself, like to keep the temperature around 150F - 170F until you purge out all the butane you can

i also like to keep my BHO on parliament paper (its a baking paper, found at wal-marts etc.) the oil doesn't stick to the paper so theres nearly no loss of oil. my friends had those glass dishes small bits of oil would stick to the glass

13. Parchment paper, lol. at least you got the first 3 letters right :)

14. [quote name='"Bouldorado"']Parchment paper, lol. at least you got the first 3 letters right :)[/quote]

And the last 4! Hahahahahahah

15. Happy 420 everyone!!! Unfortunately my glass extractor is not in yet :( but I made one last bho batch in my turkey bastor this morning. Turned out great!

I used nice dro nugs (10-12g), one full 300mL can of Colibri. I took the advice of not drying or busting up nugs before the first run. Had the pyrex dish over hot water boil during extraction then once butane evaporated moved to a hot plate to whip it.

Second run i took it out and ground everything up, put it back in the tube and ran the rest of the butane through. still came out quite golden, better quality than my second attempt at bho.

I even did a third, qwiso run using Sirsog's guide (very helpful and easy to follow).

End product was:

1st run ~1g of whipped bho
    2nd run ~.4g bho
    3rd run ~.3g qwiso

Extremely happy with the product. Thanks to everyone with helpful hints and pointers.

Pictures:

#1 Weed just before inserted into baster. Penny for scale

#2 Turkey bastor extractor filled and ready to go.
    #3 Final product whipped bho
    #4 Left is second run bho, unwhipped. Right is the third run qwiso
    #5 First run scraping into middle of pyrex
    #6 Whipping starts
    #7 Starts sticking together
    #8 Done
    #9 More of unwhipped bho
    #10 More whipped bho

Attached Files:

16. And conversation just stops....? Haha where did everyone go? :p

I thought i did a good good on this batch, its almost gone already though and i'm still waiting on my glass extraction tube!

17. If you don't let it dry completely, you get moisture in you oil, or it could turn to ice when the cold butane goes over it and cause a blow-out. You want to let it dry completely, before you extract. Also, if you are using a warm water purge method, make sure the dish that your oil is in is not cold, if it is it will wick moisture from the water into your oil.

• Like Like x 1
  18. See I have been getting mixed messages about whether or not to dry the nugs before extraction. It makes so much sense to me that you would want them dry because you simply just dont want water in the mix.

So I will definitely dry them next time to compare results.

Is it weird that whenever I smoke a bowl without bho now...it just seems like there is missing something? :p Haha i'm all out of my last batch and i'm still waiting on my glass extractor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Any good guide ive read has always said, dry it out before extracting. Just cut it up to peanut size m&m's, and let it sit out for a few hours. It will be plenty dry to do an extraction.

20. Will do! I just bought a oz of snow white dro :) Just waiting for my glass extractor to come in so i can make a new batch of BHO!

Attached Files: