Cow manure ?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jaykewashere, Mar 16, 2012.

1. How good is cow manure for indoor organics ? Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated .. I received a truckload of aged Cow manure , I seen quite a few worms in the pile also , I was thinking of sifting the manure before using to get any barn waste and what not out , what size screen should I use . Im planning to add to my soil mix and top dress if needed

2. If you have composting worms in a pile of aged manure you should be good to go.

3. Depends on the manure.

Organic Composted Manure, in my experience is a decent compost source.

Fresh Manure, say from a local farm really depends. If you can talk to the person who feeds them what they get, should give you a quaity check. Then I would look for the oldest possible piles, if you find worms, then i'd say your good.

Wal-Mart, bagged Cow Shit, horrible. I went to Wal-Mart yesterday because they started opening the outdoors section. The things this place will sell you for your grass, simply amazing, pot soils? My god. Hidden gems though, Lava Rock is nice 20 pound bags for $6.25

Ramble :smoking:

4. Brilliant! :hello:

I'll check them out. :)

5. Walmart? No amount of lava rock is worth going into that place...

6. [quote name='"Ganjagoonie"']Walmart? No amount of lava rock is worth going into that place...[/quote]

Id rather get 5 frozen meals for 20 bucks than not support wal mart ... Just saying lol ....

7. Word^^^^^

If there are worms, it's good shit.

Wet

8. Thanks guys , how much manure should I add per gallon of soil. And should I keep using bone + blood meal ?

9. Sure- ya still want ammendments in there. The composted manure is your soil life source. The ammendments are food. Different animals.

You should try and switch away from the dead animal stuff tho. Try and go with plant material ammendments instead - like kelp meal, alfalfa, etc. Even fish bone meal isnt as bad as regular ground up dead animals. :) There are many alternatives that simply work better and are available locally and cheaply. Alfalfa meal is high nitrogen (and much more) and can be bought at the feed & farm store for like under 15 bucks for #50 pound bag, so its probably even cheaper than what yer paying now. Kelp meal is absolutlely loaded with about every compound, element and plant regulator under the sun and is around a buck a pound - many times at the same farm and feed store. We give it to our horse, who likes the alfalfa too...:) and then we use the horse manure that ate the alfalfa and the kelp and then give the manure to the compost pile which in turn then gets fed to our worms who poop it out and then we feed it to our plants...hahahaha!

Per gallon? Cup or 2? Ya want enuff to do the job but not enuff to make it stay wet and heavy - bottom line. Every soil mix must drain properly.

If there are worms, it's good shit. Damn straight Wet!

jerry.

ps - TGIF!!

10. I am going to beg to differ on this one. composted animal manures should only be used in outdoor gardens. Indoor the containment will simple allow possible insects to go unchecked. there's a reason the recommended manure for indoor production is worm's.

11. [quote name='"hope2toke"']I am going to beg to differ on this one. composted animal manures should only be used in outdoor gardens. Indoor the containment will simple allow possible insects to go unchecked. there's a reason the recommended manure for indoor production is worm's.[/quote]

You run the same risk when you use homemade compost. And I do.t think that's stopping anyone. Plus if your mix is right your bacteria should stop the invasion.

12. Indeed

13. I use composted chicken manure inside. Loads of folks use bat guanos indoors as well.

14. I just picked up 50 gallons of horse and mule manure and it will eventually find it's way inside in one form or another.Either as finished compost or vermicompost.

If you have a compost pile or a worm bin, do yourself a favor and find a source for horse manure.

15. Isn't mule manure sterile??? :poke::laughing:

*I* don't bring outdoor compost indoors. Going through the worms is something different, but the compost pile stays outside.

Just a growing style difference, no big deal.

Wet

16. #16 WeeDroid, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
    I'm trying, I'm trying!

As some folks know I make my compost indoors (in a compost tumbler), although my leaf mold sits outside (Compost Sak). So far no real issues (bugs and such) with the compost now that it is well past it's thermophilic stage. I keep the door to the tumbler off for air.

I do want to take my tumbler outside though for my next batch of compost. When my pile goes through it's thermophilic phase, it throws off a lot of gasses, most not that pleasant and all very humid. Rather then venting it, I would just rather put it outside.

Just like Wet said, just another style. :)

17. Remember what I said about more than one way to relieve a feline of its fur?

It's like cooking, really. Well, not baking, but everything else. LOL, I get too creative to ever be even a decent baker, but I understand that. Ahhh, but give me a smoker and some meat, a case and a selection of spices .............

Wet

18. Perhaps there is a mounted patrol in your fair city and they might allow you to relieve them of a few forkfuls?

19. I have plans in place, just too busy to implement them atm.

Thanks for mentioning. :)

20. LOL!! I hope their manure is not like their balls!