Dabs to vape?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by chronickatcher, Oct 3, 2011.

1. So I started smoking weed about four years ago. blunts joints and occasional pipes or bubblers were all I used. Within a year after I began smoking I got a bong, and loved it for at home use. Then I got another bong to bring out and started bringing that out more and more.

Over the next two years I bought a good amount of bongs and attachments an shit, always trying to improve my set up.

Then In march of this year I stumbled across a dwb vapor dome and a ti skillet. Needless to say I fell in love with dabbing and began buying more and more wax and less and less weed.
    Now it's October and I only smoke weed if it is given to me. Haven't bought any in at least two months. But my tolerance has been rising like crazy and now dabs don't seem to hit me nearly as hard as they did.

I'm contemplating buying an extreme q vape to switch off from dabbing. Will a vape high be a big difference from dabbing has been? Or will it just feel like a very weak high compared to dabs or bong hits.? Ive never had a really good vape setup and feel like it would get me a better buzz then just burning it like I've been.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'm doing a good amount of research on the extreme q and it seems like a good vape, if anyone has any feed back on the unit itself that would be nice to read.

2. #2 mada12589, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
    Its definitely a different high, and will seem much weaker than dabbing. There really isn't anything that can come close to the potency of dabbing, and it will take several hits off a vape to be equal to what dabbing can do. It will be able to get you just as high though, but of course a vape high is different than smoking, and I find it different than dabbing, but I have yet to have a *good* batch of anything to dab. I'm going to do a bho run fairly soon though, so I can give you a better comparison probably within a few weeks if that isn't too long.
    So, I would say yes, its a different high, but not necessarily worse. You will get good efficiency as well, so taking more hits off a vape isn't like taking a ton of hits while smoking. You will still use way less bud than smoking. If you can try out a vape before investing I would recommend it, the high isn't for everyone, but many people, myself included, prefer it. Most people call it a clearer, more functional high, but you can still get very high. There are just certain chemicals that you don't get by vaping that you get while smoking, so you won't get the same high. Its hard to accurately describe in words.

Edit: also, for the extreme Q...its a good all around vape, a sort of "jack of all trades". It does both bag and whip well, but not exceptionally well. If you want to have the option of both then its a good choice, but if you don't want both I would go with either a bag or whip vape, rather than both.
    Good options for vapes to check out are the purple days, myrtle zap, and herborizer (standard or XL) if you want efficiency; Silver surver, da buddha, and herbo XL for bigger hits. Others to check that are a bit less traditional are the supreme, cloud, and a few others. Check out fuckcombustion.com for reviews and info on individual vapes.

3. Wow mada, thank you for that post. Lots of information. I'm currently reading the thread on fc about the extreme q now, it's like 130 pages, so it'll be a while haha.

But I am interested in both the features, bag and whip, and really like how it is glass on glass, so it's perfect to vapor bong. Haven't heard many negative things about it so I think I might snag it.

Hopefully I'll enjoy the vape high and be able to alternate between that and dabbing as a way to lower my tolerance. I have a vapor bros old school box vape and I've gotten pretty baked off that before. But it's pretty inconvenient to use and hasn't been used in quite a while.

Also, I haven't seen how long it takes to heat up, so does anyone know? And do u have to leave the bud on the unit for a while before you can hit it or can u load a bowl and hit it right away?

4. I don't know the heat up time for that vape, but I believe its around 10 min, and I wouldn't recommend letting the bud heat up on the unit, just pack a bowl and you may have to take 1 "primer" hit, then after that it should go strong.
    If you're mostly interested in vapor bonging then I definitely recommend looking at the herborizer. Its a fantastic vape, check the thread on FC for some info, but it can't do anything other than vaporbonging. Fantastic flavor and efficiency though.

5. #5 flyershockey44, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
    what is dabbing?

Also, what does a "primer hit" mean mada? I just got a vape yesterday and Im still learning how to use that shit

6. Im in the same situation chronickatcher and going to buy a vape soon, hoping that alternating dabs and vaping will lower tolerence and overall wax consumption, haha.

7. Dabbing is a method of smoking BHO or QWISO or just about any concentrate. You get the concentrate on a "Dabber" usually a dental pick or glass rod that comes to a point, heat up a glass nail or titanium plate (or titanium nail or other things) and then put the concentrate on the hot nail/plate, then inhale the smoke.
    Check out some of the cannabis connoisseur collection videos (they have a thread here) and you will see several dabs. Its a very VERY concentrated way to smoke, and a tiny dab, as in about half the size of a pea, can get most people absolutely ripped. Its usually made by running butane or alcohol over a good amount of finely ground bud, then letting the alcohol or butane evaporate, the oil left over is the concentrate.

By primer hit I just meant the first hit where the hasn't been heated yet, as in if you just packed your whip(if you are using a whip) and put it onto the hot element and inhaled. When you start inhaling it will take a few seconds for the bud to get hot enough to release any vapor, so that first hit you wont usually get much vapor unless your vape is set pretty hot. I call it a primer because it basically gets the bowl ready to vape regularly.

I found that when I'm dabbing regularly (like say...daily) my tolerance goes up a lot, and when I vape I have to take more hits to get high, so my tolerance stays up. I don't know if alternating frequently will make a big difference, but I would recommend vaping only most days, and dab on the weekend or on a day off, or even just once or twice a week at random. If you keep doing it every day your tolerance will stay pretty high. However, if you are dabbing several times a day and you switch to mostly vaping it should cut your tolerance quite a bit. I would also recommend going on a day or two tolerance break, then start up with vaping, that way you wont have to take a ton of hits off the vape just to get stoned. Just switching methods wont change your tolerance if you vape a LOT so you can get the same high as dabbing would give you, you will have to actually start consuming less cannabinoids.

I would say I dab on average once a week or so, its sort of my special occasion smoke, when I have the time to just chill out for a few hours after, but vaping I do every day after work/class/homework/practice (I go to a college of music, so practice is part of my studying) just to relax at the end of the day. My tolerance stays fairly low, and I usually keep it at about 3 hits off the vape.