Journey Pipe

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by dogsleeve, Apr 11, 2011.

1. #1 dogsleeve, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
    For years I've been on this quest for the perfect pipe. For a long time I was convinced it would be a water pipe of some kind, but eventually I came to feel that my perfect go-to pipe should be a dry pipe. I took a short detour to try out vaporizing, and that satisfied me for a couple months, but then I began to crave the more full-bodied high you can only get from smoking. And I wanted the perfect toking tool to help me get there.

Before you say, "glass spoon," let me specify that I don't like glass spoons. Unlike the rest of the known universe, I find them harsh to smoke and unpleasant to use, load, and clean. Plus they break. So, no thanks on the glass spoon. There's no accounting for taste, right?

These were my requirements:
    * No screen (or built-in screen)
    * Easy to clean
    * Durable
    * Not glass
    * Smoke cooling would be nice but it's not required
    * It would be nice if it had a lid

During my quest, I found and purchased several pipes, but they all had one flaw or another that was a deal breaker to me. I am psychotically perfectionist. The closest contender was the Model 419, an excellent pipe, but I thought the bowl was too small, among other quibbles.

Finally, reluctantly, I made a decision that casting about for the "perfect" pipe, an ideal which does not exist, was not a valuable use of my time (and money), and settled on Frankenpipe, my old cheap metal pipe, to be my piece. He meets almost none of the requirements, but what can I say? He's reasonably tolerable to smoke, and I've had him since 1998. He's been a good friend.

Literally the next day after cancelling my search for the perfect pipe, I became aware of the Journey Pipe. Life is funny sometimes.

The Journey Pipe immediately became my permanent go-to pipe. It is, for me, the perfect pipe. And it was only fifty bucks shipped.

You can buy the pipe at Grasscity.com here

Please ask questions about the Journey Pipe if you have them. I'll be more than happy to answer them as best I can.

2. I can't say I've ever seen or even heard of this pipe before.. And after reading up on it a little it looks like a really cool piece, now I just gotta save up some money :)

3. Proto Pipe
    this thing meets all of your requirements, and it looks pretty cool. ive never personally used one, but from what i read its pretty bad ass. :smoke:

4. I found out about it from Linda. Video link below.

I'd never heard of the King Amazed, looks cool.

I considered the Proto Pipe, but I heard from multiple sources that it's kind of a pain to disassemble and clean, so I gave it a miss. YMMV of course.

YouTube - Kanaal van ThusSpakeLinda

5. Model 419? Definitely well made and it's smoke cooling aspects are a big part of it's sale pitch.

6. Tried the 419, loved it except for the small bowl and the tendency for small pieces to fall through the holes and not get combusted as a result. But yeah, other than that it's a great pipe.

7. Thanks to your review I ordered one :) how are you liking it so far? Is it still holding up to your expectation?

8. Cool lookin pipe.

The protopipe is cheaper though, and has a stash compartment.

9. I saw Linda review the Journey Pipe on YouTube and it definitely looks really cool. I'll probably be picking one up in the future. It's so simple.

10. Definitely still loving the Journey pipe. It continues to be the perfect pipe for me. I actually got another one for my wife to use when I'm out or whatever. We both love it.

The more I use it, the feature I'm appreciating the most is how easy it is to clean. I clean it between every bowl; I just use a dry kleenex and that gets out 99.9% of the residue. Takes a minute to wipe it out, tops. And the fact that it's held together by magnets makes it fun to take apart and put back together.

Regarding stash compartment on the proto pipe, that is definitely a cool feature that the Journey doesn't have. However, the Journey comes with a slick little plastic case that holds the pipe, a Bic, and room for a little stash pouch. It's about the size of a deck of cards.

I hate to sound like a drooling fan-boy, but I just love the hell out of this pipe.

11. I saw this thing at my LHS. Looked pretty cool. You Ever use the wickie pipe or monkey pipe? Those along with my m420 are my on the go pieces but have been checking this out. Does it get hot?

12. It can get hot, especially if you hold the lighter to it longer than normal. But it doesn't get burning hot, and it cools down fast. If you're just taking normal hits, it stays relatively cool.

I sidestep the issue by holding it by the lid; it makes a great handle when it's open.

Have not tried the Wickie or the Monkey or the m420.

13. Thanks for this, dogsleeve. I've been wanting one, but couldn't find any reviews I trusted other than Linda's YouTube video.

I have a protopipe--it's been the workhorse but it's a bitch to clean and the pokers finally do break. I'm on my third one.

I also have an Amazed-- not the King Amazed--but the regular version. It's okay--stays cool and hits great so I don't doubt that the bigger version is great.

Incredibowl? Got that too. I really really like it. But I LOVE smoking out of a pipe, and I don't really like glass that much either.

Purple Days vape? Yep. Love it. Great for sitting on the couch, studying, reading, watching tv, etc. Not portable, though. I don't really like to take my stuff on the go, but I do like to take it out in the back yard. :)

Stone pipe? Cool looking, but way too heavy, and mine has a carbhole. Yuck. Used once.

Journey Pipe ordered and on it's way!

I love this place, even if I mostly just lurk around, stalking other people's threads:hide: Way more fun than facebook stalking.:wave:

14. No problem, glad to be spreading the word. :wave:

If you enjoy your new Journey Pipe half as much as I enjoy mine, that means I'll enjoy my Journey Pipe twice as much as you enjoy yours. :confused:

Just kidding. What I mean is, I hope you enjoy your Journey Pipe. It's a wonderful little pipe.

15. Well, yeah. Something like that. I'm gonna have to come back later.......:bongin: Maybe I'll get it then. ;)

16. Always looking for a way to take nice hits discretely on the go without having to constantly reload like a dugout.

For $40 Looks like I might get me one of these journey pipes...

The indestructibility, ease of cleaning, lid for a prepack, and price are convincing me.

17. If you introduce a journey pipe to a headshop near you, they give you a free pipe. Their website has more info, you'll see it on the top right of the page.

18. tried to get one just now and their google checkout on their site doesn't work. Boo.

19. #20 TinkerBud, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
    Ok--so I got my Journey Pipe a couple days ago. Ordered mine from another site that was more expensive but had free shipping, AND I've ordered from them before. . . .

Up to now, I alternated between an old brass Protopipe and the i420 Incredibowl. I love them both.

Anyway--the Journey Pipe: I've only smoked 3 bowls out of it, and only cleaned it once, so this is strictly a "first impression" type impression.:confused:

If this were a man, I'd marry him. It's perfect. As I said before, I don't much care for glass either unless it's a water pipe. I break everything. You can't break this thing. The finish is beautiful, but looks incredibly impervious to scratches and dings--we'll see.

It has a lid. I'm always shoving my pipe in my pocket when I'm at home. You know how it is----sometimes you gotta stash it quick to hide from parents, roommates, (or in my case--kids :eek:), and I really prefer a lid. I also use the lid as a handle. You can pull the lid off and use the narrow end to stir the bowl if needed. Although you can tell the designer didn't intend it to work out that way, it really does stir the bowl well. The lid swivels left or right but doesn't do a 360 like the protopipe lid does. Also, the magnet is perfect--not too tight, but never too loose, either. it has gear-teeth looking things to help hold it in place.

The bowl is actually pretty big. It's fairly deep, but also wide. I like it. No screen is used, and unless you ground your buds to dust, I don't see how you could suck crumbs through this. The reason there's no need for a screen is probably the coolest thing of all:

It's actually two layers of metal held together with perfect magnets, and a lid on top. You can buy the pipe at Grasscity.com here

It's genius. I'm always skeptical of "just wipe it out with a tissue" claims on pipe cleaning. Not only do I break things, I spill things, and make messes all the time, too. I haven't tried wiping it with a tissue while it was cold, but you really CAN wipe it perfectly clean if you do it while the bowl's still warm.

The size is perfect too. Didn't measure it but it fits in my hand with plenty of room to spare. Yes, it's metal, but doesn't taste nearly as bad as some of those anodized pieces can taste. It does feel a little awkward to hold until you get accustomed to it. Doesn't really feel balanced, for whatever that's worth. It's odd-shaped, small, and slick.:)

I guess I should mention the case it comes in too--it's hard black plastic, with a little "river stone" looking glass oval on the front. Inside, it has a section for the pipe, a little stash compartment under the pipe handle, and a section for your lighter. It looks super cool, but honestly I won't use it. Plastic stinks when you store pipes in it (think plastic ashtrays).

I've tried a billion different toking tools. This might be the best one. I'll have to keep using it. . . . . :smoke:

And NO, I don't work for them, or anything like that. In addition to being clumsy and destructive, I talk alot when I'm high. Since I'm up early, I thought I'd smoke up and share my thoughts on this pipe. I love reading reviews before I buy anything, so all you awesome review writers, this one's for you. :ey: I hope this helps someone out. Thanks again, dogsleeve. Yours was the first GC review I saw on this pipe and the reason I went ahead and ordered it.