Carbon adapter and tar/cannabinoid ratio

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by alu, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hello!

If you read this post http://forum.grasscity.com/apprenti...o-much-stronger-than-blunt-2.html#post6930923 you can se that water filtration is no good.

I have copied and pasted the most important part here:

” Contrary to popular impression, waterpipes don't necessarily protect smokers from harmful tars in marijuana smoke, according to a new study sponsored by MAPS and California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws). The reason is that waterpipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect. The study does not rule out the possibility that waterpipes could have other benefits, such as filtering out gases, but it suggests that other methods, such as the use of high potency marijuana, vaporizers, or oral ingestion are needed to avoid harmful toxins in marijuana smoke.”

“This suggests that water filtration is actually counterproductive, apparently because water tends to absorb THC more readily than noxious tars. Like the waterpipes, the cigarette filter also performed worse than the unfiltered joint, by about 30%. Researchers speculate this is because cannabinoids are exceptionally sticky and adhere to other solids. Hence, any filtration system that picks up particulates is likely also to screen out cannabinoids.”

I´m thinking of buying a nice toking tool and it's too bad the waterbong filtrates to much thc when it passes through water.

So now I'm thinking about maybe buying a waterbong and use it without water. It´s probably good to blend the smoke with air in a tube like the bong and I'm curious about the carbon adapter because I've read here that it also filtrates smell. But here's the question: Does anybody know something about the cannabinoid/tar, CO ratio with just a carbon filter and no water?

I´ve read a lot and my favourite tools for now are: A roor bong with carbon filter and no water, the model419 pipe or maybe the extreme-q vaporizer.

Thanks for listening.

2. Doesn't this concern you a little bit?

3. I don't think the water is counterproductive enough to be worth mentioning because no one has a problem receiving their THC dose via a water pipe. Atleast not that I've heard of - we usually all get high.

The water may not filter all the bad out, but it defiantly collects ash and resin. This is why the smoke smells bad, and if not rinsed out will build resin from bubble stacks. There's ashes floating around. Sure you can remove the water from the pipe, but are you now inhaling raw particles?

The carbon filter does work great, I have two right now. But the inside of the bong will still get some build up on the side from resin.

If you had no water plus a carbon filter that would essentially be the best way to go, assuming they are correct about the water removing THC. Lots of people try without water, myself included, and there's nothing wrong with that but the main point of a bong is to milk to your limit - which can be easily pushed when water (& ice) is added. Essentially making the toker higher from inhaling more.

Maybe for someone who's concerned about health but wants cool smoke they could use no water with ice.

You'd probably be interested in a whip style vape, with an adapter for GONG ($10), and a straight tube. With or with downstem. I use this set up from time to time, although not for long if I sell my straight.

4. The thing is that with water you lower the thc-concentration more than you lower the tar-concentration. You will have to smoke more to get as high as you want and thus inhale more tar than without filtrating through water.

I don't know about ice but vapour will condense. So when you guys say that the smoke is so smooth. Well of course it is with less potent smoke.

I don't know about carbon. Probably as bad as the other.

You are right about that a bong will make it easier to milk to your limit but the sum of it is that it's no good because water are wasting thc and makes it more bad for helth in the end.

I will probably buy a model419 (it has a metal filter) and then a vape. I think bongs are only used because it looks realy cool and everyone does it, but actually it's a stupid tool to use.

5. Only a fool wouldn't use water. I use carbon filter, works well to keep bong clean, but you seriously need water lol.

6. the amount you lose is extremely negligible, you wont feel a difference

7. Im pretty sure studies have been done and although water doesnt "filter" the smoke as much as some would like to think, it does cut some carcinogens and tar down, and the big thing for me is that apparently water filtered smoke doesnt hurt your lungs' immune system. correct me if I'm wrong, or even better, point me to a good article that clarifies why im wrong.

Peace

8. the thing about a bong is that you do end up smoking a hell of a lot more way quicker, and thats why a bong is superior as far as intensity of high goes compared to a pipe or other lower device

potency has a very negligible effect on harshness, if any at all. idk where that idea could have come from.

a carbon filter is one of the healthiest options out there

the bottom line is that there is a sharp decrease in inhalation of combusted particulate matter, therefore its still way better

and it is your opinion that a bong is a stupid tool to use. the vast majority of people here would disagree with you. mainly me. a bong is the best way to get fucked in the face high(besides a vape) and it is overall a more efficient process than a joint blunt pipe bubbler or steamroller

9. Easy fix. Roll up piece of a business card and roll it into the end of your J. Then you can smoke all your bud and there is no particle catching material there.

10. Good talk. :)