Vaporizer 101 & Discussion

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Blunt, Jul 12, 2010.

1. #1 Blunt, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2010
    Everyone seems to have many questions when it comes to purchasing a vaporizer so I figured I would outline a few things to consider when making your first purchase of a vaporizer.

FAQ:

What is the high like? The vaporizer activates THC, depending on your temperature, rather than other cannabinoids and that's why the resulting high will be a high that is directed mostly in your head, appose to your body. This means you will feel the indica effects of cannabis, such as couch-lock, much less.

How healthy is vaporization? Vaporization eliminates the harmful chemicals produced by combustion of cannabis. Cannabis has been proven to contain no harmful chemicals. The only harmful aspect of cannabis is the smoke that is a result of combustion. With vaporization however, you eliminate that aspect because you don't allow the cannabis to heat up to a temperature at which it would combust.

How much does it smell? There's no such thing as an odorless vaporizer. There will always be a lingering odor after you've vaporized. With that being said, I've found it's easy to get rid of by simply using a fan and/or spray as well as opening a window to blow out of.

What can I do with my weed after I vaporize it? Vaped weed is one of the best things to have. If you're having trouble falling asleep one night when you run dry you can take it out and re-vape it. You can also save it up and make editables out of it, as well as tinctures using tutorials such as those below.

*Just remember that 1 gram of cannabis is equivalent to 3 grams of vaped cannabis.

Firecrackers
    Tincture

1. Price. There is a wide range of vaporizers you can purchase. To an extent it's very accurate to use the expression that, “You get what you pay for,” in regards to vaporizers. I will explain model specific prices later, however it is possible to get an efficient vaporizer for only $100, but you can spend anywhere up to $600 on things such a Digital Volcano Vaporizers.
    2. Delivery system. There are three separate types of delivery systems when it comes to vaporizers.
    a. The bag system is great for parties. This is the way most people view vaporizing because of the popular Volcano Vaporizers that use the system.
    b. Then there is the whip system, which is used more for a small group of people on units such as Da Buddha.
    c. Lastly there is the direct inhale that is the most efficient way of vaporizing, but not much of the party unit. This is seen on units like the Purple Days Vaporizer.
    3. Efficiency. Some units are much more efficient than others, however they lack in other areas that may be as important, or more important than efficiency. For example, the Purple Days Vaporizer is said to be the most efficient vaporizer, putting out 4 – 5 hits from just .025 (1/40th) of a gram. However, this unit also takes an hour to warm up.
    4. Reviews. Make sure you get a product that has good reviews proving it's efficiency and ensuring your purchase is well made. Many people are against products from manufacturers like Vapir because of their infamous issues.
    5. Stealth/portability. Do you need a unit that can be used without an outlet or can you use it freely in your house with no worries? Would you like to be able to use it in public or just in your house?
    6. Learning curve. All vaporizers will require some time to get used to, as do all new pieces. Some take longer than others however because they have many other options, such as digital temperature gauges.
    7. Temperature control. Do you want to be able to control the temperature down to the degree or do you want to allow your unit to control it for you?

These are things you need to figure out before considering which vaporizer you want to buy. Once you have answered these questions you can move onto looking at specific units.

Here are my own guiding opinions on most of the major units:

Portable units

VaporGenie - $50
    · Pros: Extremely cheap with a good manufacturer, moderately efficient, truly portable
    · Cons: Requires lighter, can produce soot that is then inhaled and can burn your herb
    (Review 1) (Review 2) (Video)
    (Post 1)

Magic Flight Launch Box - $100
    · Pros: Cheap, life-time warranty, very portable and very stealthy
    · Cons: Batteries can become a hassle, I do suggest buying at least one extra set
    (Post 1) (Post 2)

Iolite - $200
    · Pros: Stealthy, portable and easy to use
    · Cons: Uses butane and is expensive

“Whip-style” Vaporizers

Easy Vape - $150
    · Pros: Cheap, solid reviews
    · Cons: There are other, better, alternatives

VaporBros - $165
    · Pros: Low price, easy to use, and good customer service
    · Cons: Angle of the heating element, lack of a true lifetime warranty and customization

Da Buddha - $195
    · Pros: Efficient, well rated, hands-free and thick hits
    · Cons: Not customizable like the Silver Surfer and low stealth because of the huge rips

Silver Surfer - $270
    · Pros: Cool design, might be the thickest hits available on the market and very customizable.
    · Cons: Low stealth because of the huge rips, pricier than Da Buddha but you're paying to be able to customize it basically

“Bag-style” Vaporizer

Volcano Digital Vaporizer - $515
    · Pros: Most efficient bag vaporizer, easy to use and good for parties
    · Cons: Price

“Direct-inhale” Vaporizers

Myrtle Zap - $150
    •\tPros: Extremely efficient, attention to detail, great system and good reviews
    •\tCons: Takes 30 minutes to heat up (although you could just always leave it plugged in)
    (Review 1)\t(Review 2)\t(Video)

Purple Days - $180
    · Pros: Most efficient vaporizer on the market (4-5 hits from .025 [1/40th]of a gram), great company with a great price and stealthy
    · Cons: Takes an hour to heat up (although you could just always leave it plugged in) and orders are backed up for months.

*The Purple Days is made so that it can be left on constantly. It requires the amount of energy that only 2 night-lights would use. This allows you to leave it on all day to eliminate the heating up time.

Other Vaporizers

Herbalaire - $250
    · Pros: Can be used with whips, bags and direct-inhale methods, relatively cheap and efficient and doesn't require finely ground herbs because of how it vaporizes the bud
    · Cons: Not the best at doing any of the three, although it's the only one that can do all three

Extreme Q - $300
    · Pros: Has whip and bag options, above average efficiency, remote and good customer service
    · Cons: Not the best on the market for either bag or whip, but good at doing both

Other helpful links:

Helpful Tips For Vaporizer Users
    Vaporizer Forum
    Retailer Discussion & Discounts
    Vapeworld
    Google

Other helpful posts:

Vaporizer Whip-Style Tips
    Cleaning 1

Note: Got suggestions or input on a vaporizer? Let me hear it.

Hope I could help. :smoke:

2. Really? I can reuse vaped cannabis? All this time I've been throwing it away, ounces and ounces of it! :eek: What does it taste like though? Because vaped mj gets a burnt popcorn taste to it.

3. Tastes like a duller form of whatever weed you vaped. I have a big bowl of my vaped weed that I smoke whenever I want that body high.

4. This is wrong. THC is a cannabinoid. You are referring to CBD's and CBN's (cannabinoids, as well) which have higher melting points than THC. Although vaporization may vaporize some CBD's and CBN's, the resulting vapor will usually always contain more THC for every CBD and CBN (in comparison with smoke). Smoking increases the ratio of CBD's and CBN's, which give the stronger body high.

Also, CBD's and CBN's are not completely responsible for the "couch-lock". The toxins in the smoke has a large part in this.

5. The vaporizer activates THC, depending on your temperature, rather than cannabinoids and that’s why the resulting high will be a sativa dominant high. This means it will be much more concentrated in your head and you won’t feel the effects of indica dominant cannabis, such as couch-lock.

really. well that just sucks. ... I like being couch-locked.

makes me think a few hundred for a vape is worthless.

I was really looking into getting one. .. but i don't know now. seems like crap to me.

6. You should try one before you look the other way.
    Defiantly not worthless imo.

7. Good Thread..but i feel its somewhat biased to DBV, i understand thats the vaporizer you have but it doesn't hurt giving each vaporizer a chance.

Pros and Cons need some tuning..i suggest trying to google each of those vapes and seeing if any complaints show up about malfunctions and broken units..flaws in design.. so you can add that under cons.As for pros dig deeper man, your thread might be the last stop for a new vaporizer user..where he makes his choice for a new vaporizer.:D

8. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss vapes without trying one first. I'm an indica guy, and I can definitely say that with the right weed my body has felt like I have anchors attached to my arms/legs/ass, lol. Some of the heaviest body highs I've ever had occurred after vaping.

That's not ALWAYS the case, and it took me a few times to get used to vaping (it's harder to gauge hits, you don't feel vapor in your chest/lungs like you do smoke). Plus, there are health benefits AND you can save your vaped bud and make some QWISO hash.

I've had my Vapor Brothers for nearly 3 years now and it works great. I switch back and forth from smoking and vaping all the time, it's nice to have the option. It also works great for when you are sick and don't want to smoke due to coughing and such. In fact, I used it to help ease my pain and coughing from bronchitis.

9. i think you answered your own question.:smoke:

10. #10 overgrowray, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
    Cool stuff.

No I for sure plan on getting one at some point. But that made it seem like I should wait "longer than sooner". (Other than most cases "sooner than later")

I suppose I just said that because I was wanting to hear a response.

(edit: I'm drunk... I haven't smoked weed 20+ days.)

(I smoked a lil bit of resin since then but that doesn't count)

11. #11 Blunt, Jul 12, 2010
    Well as I said you can increase your vaporizers temperature to increase the amount of cannabinoids that is activated and therefore increase the indica dominance in your high.

I usually combust a bowl before bed. There's nothing like a nice couch-lock high while you're watching some of your favorite shows. My vaporizer is more for during the day when I want to be able to function high while conserving weed.

I forgot the word other, whoops. Smoking only increases that ratio because of the combustion though, not the smoke (although that's where the CBD's and CBN's travel into your system from).

If anyone has any edits to this Thread feel free to Private Message me.

12. Oops, I mean "boiling points" rather than "melting points", but you got it. Remember though, you are still able to vaporize some CBN's and CBD's (there are a wealth of other cannabinoids that are vaporized as well). You just have a lower ratio because of the lower temperatures. Higher temperatures destroy lower boiling point molecules while at the same time increase the ratio of higher boiling point molecules in the smoke/vapor.

Also, you should refrain from using the "Sativa-like" and "Indica-like" analogies, as you can still vape indicas and sativas in a vape and clearly distinguish the highs.

13. #13 aero18, Jul 12, 2010
    A few more recommendations for revisions:

A con for the VaporGenie is the fact that the lighters that work well with the genie leave soot. This soot is inhaled and deposited in your lungs, so it is not the healthiest vaporizer (but is still significantly healthier than smoking).

Pertaining to the Volcano review: It is definitely not "extremely efficient", it is among the least efficient of all vaporizers. It makes sense if you think about it.

Bag vaporize release vapor into a bag, removing the vapor from its source of heat and suspending it in air. This vapor then condensates as it loses thermal energy, depositing itself along the walls of the bag. Compared to whip-style vapes, this is extremely inefficient as less active vapor is inhaled (whip-style vapes do not leave the vapor suspended from the heat source for much time).

Furthermore, a pro that I feel that you need to include is the fact that the volcano is easy to use, and thus, easier for novices or for parties as all you do is hit a button and inhale from the bag. The bag does not contain fragile parts like glass or whatnot, and you don't have to monitor the rate of inhale (or the pressure), you simply inhale.

You also left out a good alternative (in my opinion, a better alternative) for the Purple Days, and that is the MyrtleZap. It is made of better wood (although the PD has begun releasing myrtlewood units, the myrtlewood that MZ uses looks better). Overall, the MZ is built better with more attention made on detail (there are screens on both the vapor tubes and the heating unit, solder is used on the heating unit rather than cheap clips, the vapor tubes are higher quality as they are much smoother and stronger).

The MZ is sold for $150 as well.

14. Done.

Also done.

15. I just got my MFLB and I'm probably the most lifted I've ever been.

16. #16 new buddy, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010
    This is a nice guide for people who've never used vaporizers such as myself. should be stickied.

... I just got ripped off for my MFLB that I ordered last night which has me SO mad right now. I spend about $40 more than another site, and I got it from BlissSvile!!!!!!!!! FUCK!!! that coulda bought me 2 grams of some dank ass weed.

17. Thanks man! If more people think what you do maybe it will be.

Nothing you can do now man. No regrets, just enjoy it like I know you will.

18. #18 overgrowray, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, I can picture me using a vape most of the day but still smoking a bowl before bed.

I really do want one, I'm going to get one as soon as I have the funds available. I'm also plan on getting e-cigs. Going to try to be a little healthier.

One of the things that bothers me about a vape though is the time it takes to heat up.

19. MFLB - 3-5 seconds

DBV - 5 Minutes.

not too bad man.

20. Unfortunately e-cigs cause cancer too.