THC Absorption Method Comparison Graph Help

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by The Architect, Aug 22, 2013.

1. #1 The Architect, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2013
    Hello subjects of Grasscity. I've noticed that no one has created a graph for THC Absorption Methods in order to help tokers understand the differences between smoking with different devices in a visual way. Below is what I've created so far. I've averaged some of my research based on differed results. Any help would be greatly appreciated! If I forgot a section, please don't hesitate to let me know, but also please give me a source with a THC content percentage as well. Thank you.

UPDATED
    I've also decided to add a THC Content Comparison graph which tries to show the quantity range of THC in each substance.

[​IMG]

Ever wonder how the different temperatures of your vaporizer affects you and your cannabis? Stop wondering:

Tailoring Your High: Intro to Temperature Control with a Vaporizer

2. #2 okiuisdgf, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    looks pretty accurate to me. just one question: how does a perk included with the bong raise the absorption rate?

and I would also include an edible section; maybe tinctures?

You're right. After doing some research I've found that perks only help you inhale with less a burn and in fact do not change the amount of THC you absorb. My previous source was incorrect, thank you for helping me to double check.

4. Complete bullshit.

1 gram blunt will do just as much damage as 2 .5 gram bong packs if smoked correctly.

Is that so? Please, do link me the study stating that "fact". Or is this coming from one who just prefers blunts..?

"With bongs you are pulling a rather larger hit and not wasting nearly as much smoke as say a joint or blunt. So first off your getting more weed smoke out of a bong versus a J or blunt. Second your taking MUCH bigger hits. Like a dime in a bong if you rip it pretty hard can go quick. You get destroyed. So basically you waste less smoke and you get bigger hits which gets you higher than the average J or blunt."

Use your brain, common sense.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Now I see why I get high as fuck off .1g in my vape. :metal:

7. What is all this based on?  Looks like a crock to me.

All this? If you're referring to the graphs I can give you five links right here (although I used more):

http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06359mj1.html
    http://www.maps.org/mmj/Gieringer-vaporizer.pdf

If you're referring to my comment on perks, understand that they're used to filter ash and heat through water in order to reduce the heat and harshness of one's hit allowing them to face more cannabis then before. Again, common sense.

9. Seems about right to me although I thought edibles were better than vaporizers.

10. Is this based on how big of hits you can take or the same sized hits? (For the combustion methods)

Because if one were to take smaller bong rips, or chief a joint, I feel like the amount of plant matter burned, and THC chemically changed, wouldn't change per toking tool.

I feel like if you burned a 1.5 gram blunt to the dome you would absorb just as much THC as burning 1.5 in a bong, but since the bong method can allow more THC in bigger hits, the "peak" comes harder and faster and the bleezy would last longer.

Plus the constant burning of the blunt would lose a bit of smoke, but doesn't the glass and water absorb SOME thc as well?

11. And I'm fucking sick of people bitching about the j or blunt burning off smoke. When you guys take hige rips and pull the bowl, the bowl is still lit and is burning off smoke into the air. Unless one were to cover the bowl everytime you clear it, putting out the burn, like I do with my pipe.

12. #12 The Architect, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013

The water cools the smoke, allowing you to take much bigger hits without it being as harsh. If you hit the bong the way you hit a joint, you'd get just as high as you would from a joint (assuming that it was the same amount of weed).

You must understand that the way you're supposed to hit a bong is by ripping it through until the bowl is empty and you can inhale the entire thing in one hit therefore using all the weed and not having anything left to be burning. I'm not saying this is the only way to hit a bong (there are those who's lungs can not handle such a task), but it is the best way.

It was difficult for me to reply to what you are saying. Look at what you wrote again when you aren't as skeeted.

13. Interesting concept I really like it. Couple comments though:

Why is the bubbler THC absorption so much lower than a bong? I personally use a weed star double bubbler which has shower head percs with a 8-arm tree perc precooler and this puppy hits smoother than most 'bongs'. The downtube length is only 7.1 inches but because of how little drag there is I can pull giant clouds that can rival most waterpipes.

Did you find any semi-reliable information on gravity bongs or waterfalls? It would be interesting to see how those stack up.

I completely agree. I've updated the graph, I don't know why I added the bubbler as a separate section. Gravity/waterfall bongs will work the same way.

15. I understand the water cools the smoke but I was saying that the amount of thc absorbed through combustion methods shouldn't have to do with the size of hits. The study should have controls. Like the amount of weed burned for each tool. You understood what I meant tho.

And I do see a lot of guys leaving a cherried bowl just smoking and thats what I was referring too.

16. I never get as high from a Vap as I do using a simple bong, not a fancy perc type, only a straight pipe with diffuser.  I've experimented with the temperature, amount of weed I vape but never get anywhere near the buzz I get from 1-2 bong hits.  I usually smoke Joints for the smoking pleasure and taste and they come in second to the bong.  I can't comment on a straight pipe because I rarely use one except for hash.  Pipes are just too hot for me doing a one hitter and I don't like packing a full bowl and smoking it like a tobacco pipe...the taste gets too stale for me.

17. #17 The Architect, Aug 23, 2013

Vapor is absorbed into one's lungs much quicker and easier than smoke. Scientifically, if you were to hold in the vapor until it evaporates and do the same with the smoke you'd get close to the same high. Keep in mind that vapor (depending on the temperature) will contain more THC then smoke. A hotter gas is less dense; therefore, a cubic foot of hot air will have less density than a cubic foot of cold air.

Less Dense = Less THC

Smoke takes up more volume than vapor, therefore it cannot achieve the same density as vapor.

Sidenote: When the smoke passes through the water in a bong, the water cools it down and increases the density capability allowing you to take larger, cooler hits. Cooler hits allow more density.

Measuring Gas Density

18. I understand that.  Your charts were very interesting and I thank you for the research you did.  Still....when I smoke from a bong, it get much higher which is contrary to the facts.  If vapor is more dense than hot smoke I should get higher right?  I understand being able to get a huge amount of smoke from the cooled smoke in a bong but wouldn't inhaling a full bag of vapor work better?  For some reason it doesn't for me although I do enjoy the cleaner taste of the vapor from quality weed over smoke.  It just doesn't get me where a bong hit does.  The information shows that the first bag of vapor has most of the THC, nearly gone by the 3rd so if I inhale the first and second bag myself, shouldn't I get just as high from a given quantity of herb from a vaporizer than the same quantity from a bong hit?  I don't.

19. #19 The Architect, Aug 23, 2013

This is my personal experience and knowledge not research:

I personally own a volcano vaporizer. Whenever I decide to use it (with friends, at least two) I'll add about 0.2g and set it on 6 to start. Next I'll do 7 and then 9, each bag (from the looks of it) has the same amount of vapor as the previous one. This is called the "679 Method" and I find it to be the most useful. The only time I would EVER start on 9 is if I were to be filling up a very long bag with at least a dub in it (between six and eight feet, any longer would just be a waste). With my experience, using this method you can get the most out of a tiny amount of weed, where the same amount would get one person slightly high using a bong.

Yes I own a bong too but, I rarely use it now because I find my volcano vape so useful, and if I were to smoke by myself I would just use my handheld Atmos vape.

20. ^^  Thanks!  I use a Q which is quite slow filling up a bag.  I have one rich friend who has a Volcano and although it's much faster than my ArizerQ, the end results are very similar.  Since I can't fill up a huge bag like a Volcano I can't comment on vaping as much weed as rolling a joint but doing a pinch similar to what I'd use in a bong for a single hit does nothing for me in a vap bag compared to the bong.

I'm not disagreeing with your results, the research you've done proves you're very scientific in your methods....I'm just stating the results I get with my vaporizer.  Maybe i'm doing it wrong..I dunno.  I usually start with 365F, pre-heat the herb, start off with the blower on low until it heats up fully, then increase it to high to fill the bag.  Then I'll raise the temp with each successive bag but rarely do more than 2 bags with a small pinch, enough to get me totally ripped in a bong.