Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

how often should i take a tolerance break?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by tokeupsmokeup, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Ive been smoking every day for the last almost 3 months :3 i use to be a light weight and i only had to have 1 puff off a j and id be high or one bong bowl,and i would be could at least for a hour and a half D: so now that my tolerance has gotten so high to the point where i need 2-3 poppers to just get buzzed Q_Q so how much does my tolerance go down (like week by week sort thing of not smoking) and how long would i have to wait to regain most of my tolerance? i miss the days of getting really baked D: but i dont wanna have to quit for longer then 2 weeks x..x

2. In the past year or so, I've only stopped smoking for about 10 days.

There's not really anything to it, just take a week break every couple months or so and you should be fine.

What's the big deal with tolerance anyway? I see no problem in smoking more weed :smoking:

3. The half-life (as in how long it takes for the original number of a specific chemical to break down to half its original amount) of THC is anywhere between 20 hours to 10 days in an average user. There are other factors that come into play such as height, weight, and your metabolic rate. If you are skinny and have the metabolism of a V8 engine, chances are THC will leave your body relatively quickly. If you are overweight and easily pack on pounds, then the process will take much longer.

The reason being is that THC sticks to fat cells. Therefore, the less fat cells you have, the less places THC has to go in your body so it goes straight to waste.

I would take a tolerance break for about a week and a half, stretch it to two weeks and see how you feel. T-Breaks are good for switching up the routine and making getting high fun again.

4. [quote name='"F. Fontaine"']The half-life (as in how long it takes for the original number of a specific chemical to break down to half its original amount) of THC is anywhere between 20 hours to 10 days in an average user. There are other factors that come into play such as height, weight, and your metabolic rate. If you are skinny and have the metabolism of a V8 engine, chances are THC will leave your body relatively quickly. If you are overweight and easily pack on pounds, then the process will take much longer.

The reason being is that THC sticks to fat cells. Therefore, the less fat cells you have, the less places THC has to go in your body so it goes straight to waste.

I would take a tolerance break for about a week and a half, stretch it to two weeks and see how you feel. T-Breaks are good for switching up the routine and making getting high fun again.[/quote]

Getting high is always fun! :p :smoke:

5. I think your'e freakin out about it a bit to much but whatever, if you take even a few days off at the current rate your smoking you will get a noticeable difference. If you take a week or more your tolerance will definitely drop and it will take a bit of time depending on how much you smoke to get back to where you are now and time for another break.

6. i can quit for 2 weeks and id lose most my tolerance.. today makes 13 days 8 more days then im getting some purp and white widow :D

7. I wouldn't say tolerance breaks are worth it unless you are not getting high or cant afford it.

8. I gotta disagree. Taking one week off every three to six months or so really isn't that hard, and will save you a LOT of money in the long run because your tolerance won't get ridiculously high. If you can't stop for a week 2 to 4 times a year, then you have a problem anyway. Just my .02.

9. #9 theVirtuoso, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
    That is how it is stored in our body, but it is not the same as tolerance. Tolerance is dictated by our brain's receptors

We have receptors in our brains called Cannabinoid receptors that are used for many things regarding our health, including getting high. In fact, we have a whole endocannabinoid system in our body that's used for many things... they are not the same as the weed we smoke, but they are closely related.

Just like with other drugs that overwork your dopamine or serotonin receptors, you can wear out your CB receptors, but smoking frequently isn't the only way. Poor health/diet plays a large role as well, more than you would think... this can attribute to "larger" people having more trouble getting high, so I can see how you may think more fat = more tolerance, but they aren't the same.

There's also psychological factors regarding your familiarity with your environment (and being under the influence in that environment) as well as your familiarity with cannabis itself.. This is Set & Setting, however it plays a much smaller role in tolerance than our receptors (although extreme circumstances can really kill your high or make you feel higher).

I smoke more often than most people - I've even been smoking the same weed for a few months now, and I still get high with ease, for a long time as well (a few hours). Before when my diet was terrible my tolerance was always very high and I'm very skinny - even 1-2 month breaks, my tolerance would be back in 3-7 days... Changing my diet has made a huge impact, especially getting more omega-3 in my diet. Look into Granny Stormcrow's posts on CB-1 receptors and omega-3s, it's very informative.

10. I like to keep my smoking down to 3 or 4 days a week. It keeps my tolerance low my high cheap and my woman off my ass obviously thats not for everyone but it works.

11. Every couple months I take about 2 weeks off. No matter how much I smoke that always gets my tolerance down to nothing. It's nice :smoke:

12. I smoked for over a year straight, smoking every day before I decided to take a break. It's really up to the individual. I have friends that have never taken a break and simply enjoy the act of smoking and don't care if it takes them "xx amount of bowls" to get high. Sometimes I feel like I am smoking too much and need to take a break. Sometimes that break is for a week, a month, whatever feels right.

13. I agree with theVirtuoso. Exercising, a healthy diet, and omega-3's (essential fats that your body does not naturally produce) are the keys to keeping your tolerance down.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe when you get high the THC connects to your CB1 receptors. When the high wears off, it leaves the receptor with a broken bond and it is your body's job to repair it. Keeping your body in shape, eating properly, and taking Omega-3 can help repair those receptors much quicker, therefore, keeping your tolerance down.

Healthy lifestyle = Healthy endocannabinoid system = low tolerance

~ac3

14. I know that the cb-1 receptors are used for getting high, but honestly, I don't know of all the intricacies involved, so I can't really say anything in regards to exactly how they're effected when you get high. However, you're correct in that maintaining a healthier lifestyle/diet, getting enough omega-3s as well - will play a significant role in keeping your tolerance down.

I will say - while my diet is better, I'm not really in good health these days and yet I still keep my tolerance down. So you don't necessarily have to be in good health all-around to have healthy cb-1 receptors.

Keep in mind, though... if you're smoking blunts throughout the day, or hash all the time, or smoking an equivalent amount through other methods, you can still wear out those receptors regardless of your diet.

It's important to smoke as little as you need to reach the desired effect... even now I only take 1-2 good hits from a bong (usually one) to get where I want. That coupled with a proper diet will make all the difference.

15. i feel you guys on the diet part. i lost my appetite when i got sick about a year ago, i've lost a ton of weight and my tolerance has gone through the roof. also coming down is pure shit sometimes

16. ive been smoking for 15 years and i get high as fuck off 4-5 hits.

I am a very healthy person though. I smoke strictly sativas so i dont get tired and lazy. i go to the gym 3-4 times a week and snowboard all winter. today I jogged/walked 3 miles I smoked just before and was still pretty high when I finished.

Just keep yourself healthy and take care of your body.

17. #17 zeroshawdow, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
    Good thread !

How Often should I take T-Break ? ... I take T-Break every night, when I go to Bed.

I have been smoking since 2009 Non-Stop. I smoke since I wake up (Wake n Bake 5:30am) until I go to sleep 1:00am. Do not worry guys, I do not like to sleep that much.

My comment is because up to this day, I haven't took any T-Break and usually I smoke Blunts and Bong Rip. As today I get Stoned with a few Puff of any pipe or blunt. Like I said I smoke 9+ times a day. I'm 33/6'2/229lbs, I'm not skinny neither small guy.

I will say this thou, I think is the weed is good, it will get you stoned no matter how low or high your tolerance is ? iF THE WEED IS BAD WON'T GET YOU HIGH AS FAST AS YOU WANT. If there is a Tolerance, because I haven't felt it yet !

I do feel too stoned and even if I keep smoking, I just go to sleep.

Am I the only with this condition ?

Peace

18. thank you, i'm not alone !

Links or threads you can point me to? Thanks

20. Pretty much just every time i go to court/go on probation.