Zods Grow Journal: DWC vs Soil

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by kneelb4zod, Mar 16, 2013.

1. #21 kneelb4zod, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
    It is Westland potting compost with added John innes formula. So there are nutes but its supposed to be weak and suitable from seed. When the lights are off the leaves are green. on the two that have curled downwards the cotyledon were deformed due to the seed case being stuck on and they are the only ones that are showing any yellow patches.

I will water them tomorrow untill I have run off. And I'll raise my lights up to about 20in tomorrow aswell. Hopefully the fan will be here tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info on the humidifier I imagine it will go up a bit as the plants get bigger and yes apparently I can fully exchange the air in my tent 4x a minute so a machine is probably no good.

Some more info on the compost used:

JOHN INNES POTTING COMPOST No.1: for pricking out or potting-up young seedlings or rooted cuttings. This composts has a carefully balanced nutrient content to suit most young plants.

For each cubic metre of mix, add
    0.6kg ground limestone
    1.2kg hoof and horn meal
    1.2kg superphosphate
    0.6kg potassium sulphate

This is off there website.

2. #22 kneelb4zod, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2013
    Double post woops!!

3. Did you add all those additives? Even so it shouldnt have any negative effect since its organics... you want to stay away from high chem nutes for youngins... either way you should be good man, nothing to worry about too much.. just stick with plain H2O for a bit and they'll either get used to it or use it up

4. Nah I didn't add anything the only thing I added was perlite to help the drainage. I wouldn't even know how to add them lol.

That's one thing I'm shitting my self about and that's feeding them nutes in a few weeks, I haven't an idea what or how to add nutes yet. So I will be doing some more self educating I expect.

Thanks man

5. I've just raised the lights up to 20inch. Watered all three untill I had run off. I've also managed to redirect the supply duct so it's hitting the top of the pots which is bringing nice cold air in from outside. Hopefully this will keep the soil cooler.

No photos today but they all have grown a fair bit I can see there's another set of leaves shooting out the top with three blades.

Will the curled leaves go back to being straight or will they always stay like that now? Is it the newer leaves I need to pay a close eye on to see if they curl?

6. No and yes.. They will get bigger but will have that curl for good.. Doesn't matter because they should become useless and fall off here in a few weeks.
    Yes! Always watch new growth! Most important.. if new growth looks healthy then great

7. Well I just watered again I put my finger in as far as I could and it felt as dry as ghandi's flip flop..

No photos today as my camera is out of battery.. I will do some tomorrow. One of them hasn't really grown and has a yellow spot on one of its first real leaves the other two are fine with there first set of 5 bladers coming through. the new growth looks good so far no curling or anything.

8. Don't worry, the spotty one should catch up.. and I told you the plants will get over it, either hit a hotspot or just being finicky.. just keep on taking care of them babies!

9. #29 kneelb4zod, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
    Update

Day 16:

so I've just got past the first two weeks and they really seem to drag which sucks.

Whats funny is I didn't think my little ones had grown much until i compared them to the pics taken 5 days ago they have grown a load even the smallest little runt has grown a fair bit.

Also ive noticed the faint smell of weed while getting in close to check on them especially from the biggest one "SR1" very nice smell from that one.. I thought they wouldn't start smelling until they was due to flower.

So we had some issue with hot soil and I think the new growth is over it I cant see any more curling but I have noticed that some of the spikey tips on the leaves are curling up not sure if that's something else I need to keep an eye on or not.

The temps at soil level are apparently 68f according to my digital thermometer but my older non digital thermometer reckons its around 78 so im not really sure which one to go with I guess its gotta be the old school one really.

Also something which is quite interesting is that the little runt "SR2" was the only seedling of the three which I left the peat pellet casing on! people have said to leave them on and lots to say take it off so I though id leave one on to see if it made a difference. in future im going to take mine all off.

So pics are as follows

#1 SR1 birds eye view 15days old
    #2 SR1 close up at nodes 15days old

#3 SR3 birds eye view 16days old
    #4 SR3 close up at top 16days old

#5 SR2 birds eye view 16days old
    #6 SR2 close up at top 16days old

peace :smoke:

@slypolak thanks for your help so far my good friend, i'm not sure what I would have done without such great advice thanks man!

Attached Files:

10. looks good bro. what kind of light s you working with? my 1 plant is 7 days old a much bigger then yours. maybe it's the light. you light seems of the yellow spectrum (2700k) when it should be blue/white (6500k)

watching forsure

11. It's supposedly a duel spectrum 400w HPS which is supposed to be good in both flower and veg. I'm tempted to try a cfl setup on my next grow.

These three have been through it though with no lights for 24hours or longer when they were first sprouted my fault doh!! And then I had hot soil which fucked my first leaves and slowed growth while that sorted itself out.

So it's not been the best of starts for me. its finally starting to get better though.

And thanks for checking my journal out

12. Kind of negative man :confused:
    there could be any combination of a number of factors... genetics, media, how they sprouted, if they had any issues while/before they sprouted... etc... HIGHLY doubt his light has anything to do with it.. its a dual spectrum as he mentioned previously so he's good to go.
    "mine is bigger than yours".. no one cares.. this isn't my thread and im not trying to start anything but damn dude..

Zod, looking damn good!! as long as theres no more curling great, was probably the soil and theyre getting used to it while the roots spread out. As long as the leaf edges aren't lighter in color or looking crispy..
    the "canoing" youre seeing could be because of hot soil but more than likely is heat stress, a little is ok but if the upwards curl becomes more pronounced either get more air on them or raise the light a bit so they can transpire properly. remember, water is one if not the most important thing when it comes to growing anything. since the light is so close to the ground because theyre still young don't worry about watering too often, as long as the top few inches are dry(ish) then water them again, but then its good for the soil to go a bit dry for a little so the roots spread more seeking for that moisture!!
    Either way youre looking GREAT! :wave::smoking::hippie:

13. Update 20:

Hey GC!!

I Watered plants today they were dry and droopy this morning especially the runt.

I decided to repot the runt so I could get a look at the roots as I had a feeling something was wrong.
    I had a strong suspicion that it had somehow become root bound in its final 6l pot.
    Good job I did as it had!
    The roots did not grow through the peat pellets mesh.

It says on the box that removing the mesh is not necessary and lots of threads on here say they don't remove the mesh.
    luckily I removed the mesh on my other two.

Ill post some pics tomorrow night oh and the two big ones stink! Soo nice!!

Peace

14. Subbed in. Thought I had before.

Looking good and only like a day ahead of my grow. Any new photos?

15. Thanks man! Appreciate the sub! Mine are doing ok Ill post some pics up tomorrow so we can compare lol I been a little lax on updates as there hasn't really been much to write about.

Check out my Star Ryders here http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1192461-zods-grow-journal-dwc-vs-soil.html

16. I know what you mean but I think we are entering the part where it really starts to pick up.

With all mine topped and LST'd I'm waiting for a big explosion of growth. I imagine yours will as well.

17. #37 kneelb4zod, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2013
    Day 29.

Everything is going to plan well sort off the runt that I transplanted hasn't grown or perked up at all so I'm pretty convinced its dead. I'm So glad I had three on the go because the two remaining are doing great.

I had some more issues with temps last week the temp at the tops of them was at almost 90f for at least 18 hours so I got a few leaves tips that curled down.
    I raised the light around 4 inches to cool it down. I also have a new 6 inch fan blowing across the top of them which is making my babies dance for me lol

I decided that they needed some food as the stuff in the soil is probably all used up now and i think it was starting to show signs it was hungry as the bottom leaves were starting to yellow.
    So I added some liquids to the watering can.

I'm using holland secret:
    Micro 5-0-2
    Grow 2-1-7
    Bloom 0-6-4

The quantities I used per gallon

Micro: 3ml
    Grow: 5ml
    Bloom: 2ml

I fed them untill I had some run-off. This is the first time I've fed them anything other than water and naturally was shitting my self that I'd over do it and fuck them both up.

I was trying desperately to find out how to get an overall NPK ratio I think I worked out to:
    2.9-1.7-4.9

if anyone knows if this is right or what it should be then please do share.

Attached are photos of both also some close ups of what I believe to be pistals remember folks there autos still on 20/4 and technically should be ready by the end of may.

Check out my Star Ryders here http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1192461-zods-grow-journal-dwc-vs-soil.html

Attached Files:

18. You always want to start off at a very low % with solubles.. cant give you exact numbers but a higher N in veg and higher P and K in flower.. have a look at the FF trio for reference (what I use+)
    looking like pistils to me!

19. Day 33.

They needed water today so they were given 6.8ph water. I will be feeding the next stage of nutrients on the next food day. I used malt vinegar to drop the ph from 7.5 I've never tried adjusting the ph before as I only just got a ph meter. That is more than likely the cause of the curled tips on most of the leaves.

Good news it's taken around 10 days of no growth but the runt has started to move its leaves up which is cool I didn't have the heart to get rid of it before as it was still standing so we'll see how well this does in its last 45 days

Attached Files:

20. These are the nutrients I got for my grow.

I do have a question if anyone's knows the answer! +rep ;) how do you work out what total nutrients you added would you just multiply the npk by the ml added and then add each of the NPK together?

I read somewhere that the "N" should be added together but not multiplied by the ml added reason being that

"Nitrogen values represent actual nitrogen content so these numbers do not need to be converted."

I dunno I'm really confused by it all how do you guys work out your overall NPK ratio? So many threads and they all contradict each other.

Attached Files: